Professional Web Applications Themes

New firewire disk - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

The scary part is that I went out and paid around $400 at today's exchange rate for my 4x external USB LaCie writer less than 3 and 1/2 years ago. At the time they did make some "super fast" 12x firewire writers for the same money, but they wouldn't connect to my imac. All of this was about 2 weeks before Toast Titanium was introduced allowing us to burn in the background and I thought I would be using the imac to burn while I carried on working with the G4. Do you remember what it was like when CD's ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: New firewire disk

    The scary part is that I went out and paid around $400 at today's exchange rate for my 4x external USB LaCie writer less than 3 and 1/2 years ago. At the time they did make some "super fast" 12x firewire writers for the same money, but they wouldn't connect to my imac. All of this was about 2 weeks before Toast Titanium was introduced allowing us to burn in the background and I thought I would be using the imac to burn while I carried on working with the G4. Do you remember what it was like when CD's failed in OS 9 if you did anything else at all?

    My G4 doesn't have a built in writer and I've always been nervous about pulling out the existing unit and putting in a writer. Is it easy to do in practice? it sure would be nice to have a fast built in CD writer as long as it can continue to read my DVD's.

    The one redeeming quality of the old LaCie burner is that its remarkably good at reading poor CD's and I've often been told that the slow old readers are worth keeping purely for their ability to read CD's when the fast new ones fail totally.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Yes, the swap is a piece of cake - should take all of 5 minutes. If you need the ability to read DVD, you'd need a combo drive. Quickly checking xlr8's user database:

    <http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso> ,

    it seems that an LG brand, model 4480b (48x24x48x16), is fully supported in 10.2.8 and up. Plug your pertinent info into the database and see what you come up with. The other option is to go with a DVD burner. CD burning will be slower (the DVR-107 is 24x), but it'll be a large leap from what you have now. You could also probably find the older, Pioneer DVR-106 drives (burns DVD-R -/+ at 4x and CDs at *I think* 16x) I've seen internal OEMs for $80 or so but you'd have to shop around.

    Do you remember what it was like when CD's failed in OS 9 if you did anything
    else at all?

    Yes! And I still have the $400, 4x scsi burner to prove it! Lotsa coasters in them days.

    -phil
    PShock@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    phil,

    I believe that one of the big reasons we all developed a large coaster collection is that these earlier burners or their software don't support buffer underrun protection.

    BTW, we still use a ($650) SCSI 8x CD-only burner on one old Mac -- it was best in its class at the time. Aside from the buffer underrun errors, we discovered (the hard way) that we could only reliably burn 650 MB/74 minute blanks; not the newer format 700 MB/80 minute ones.

    Neil
    Neil_Keller@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    Your SCSI burner probably only needs a firmware update to use 700MB discs Neil.
    Zeb@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Just as a quick update, I received the hard drive yesterday and the DVD writer this morning. All I can say is wow!

    I always spend ages waiting for computer equipment to significantly improve because I don't want to update for just a small gain in performance, then after making a couple of purchases of new equipment, I understand that in the world of computers 3 years is like a century. Both items perform perfectly and its made me think about upgrading to a G5 a lot more seriously if this is typical of the sort of performance boost I can expect.

    I guess my old CD writer must be worth about $2 now.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    my old CD writer must be worth about $2 now

    If it weren't for the shipping costs, I'd offer you $4 for it right now. ;)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12