Professional Web Applications Themes

New firewire disk - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

My G4 is running seriously low on disk space, so I have decided to invest in a Lacie 320gig external firewire drive next week. At present, I have a 20 gig internal drive that came with the computer plus another 40 gig internal disk that I bought a few months later. Now that I am going to finally have a lot more available disk space, I'd like to wipe and re-install everything and aim for the best possible configuration. Any ideas of what would be the most effective set up for Photoshop? should I dedicate the entire 40 gig hard ...

  1. #1

    Default New firewire disk

    My G4 is running seriously low on disk space, so I have decided to invest in a Lacie 320gig external firewire drive next week. At present, I have a 20 gig internal drive that came with the computer plus another 40 gig internal disk that I bought a few months later.

    Now that I am going to finally have a lot more available disk space, I'd like to wipe and re-install everything and aim for the best possible configuration. Any ideas of what would be the most effective set up for Photoshop? should I dedicate the entire 40 gig hard disk as a scratch disk or would the external firewire drive be a better option?

    Thanks
    Ashley
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New firewire disk

    I would get a couple of internal 120gig ATAs myself. you don't say what box you have but if its a G4 you have room for 3 hard drives inside. I have a 60, 80 and 120. I just got the 120gig for $80 with rebate. its a Maxtor.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have an old 400MHz G4 and I wasn't aware that it could take a 3rd hard disk inside. When I looked there only seemed to be connection points for two drives unless a 3rd only requires the smaller plug.

    I'll almost certainly be getting a G5 before the end of the year and would simply like the G4 to be a useful back up machine to work on some jobs in the background, so 60 gigs of space plus access to a large external disk should be more than enough. I am looking forward to having the two machines connected via firewire for fast file transfers.

    Its incredible how much hard drives have come down in price!
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ashley:

    The G5s need SATA (as opposed to ATA) internal HDs and can take two of them.
    Any ATA internals which you buy for the G4 will not be usable in the G5.

    An external FWD is not as fast as an internal and there is a serious risk of them being damaged if you start up or shut down the computer with them attached and mounted.

    Perhaps your best plan would be to push your G5 plans forward although there is a good chance that new models will be announced in July -- which would probably give you the option of either getting the latest and greatest or of buying one of the current ones at a greatly reduced price.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I think I'll leave the G4 as it is in terms of internal drives. The external drive is has both firewire 400, 800 and USB2, so it will be good on the G4, G5 and even for my PC laptop if necessary. From what you are saying, I should just use the firewire drive for storage and rely on the internal 40 gig drive as a large scratch disk.

    I am really waiting for the next generation of G5's to be announced before deciding what to do there.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    << From what you are saying, I should just use the firewire drive for storage and rely on the internal 40 gig drive as a large scratch disk. >>

    Exactly.
    And be sure to back-up your stored files to CDs because of the Sudden Death syndrome with FWDs -- particularly the 800s.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Buy a 100 pack of CDR's and free up some space on your existing hard drives (£15 Amazon), save your money for the next generation G5's.
    Zeb@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    hmm, I am getting a DVD writer at the same time with the idea of backing everything up at regular intervals and then storing the DVD's at a different location. So far this is the best solution I know of for safeguarding files. I've never been able to establish if there is any difference in reliability between DVD's and CD, though I prefer the idea of CD's in principal because if there is a problem at least the amount of data loss is more limited, however, I have so many CD's with film scans etc that its becoming a real pain.

    I've never heard that the 800 firewire disks were more prone to problems. Is this a common issue?
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    This is a recent thread on the subject:
    <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?128.68904fe5>

    A search through the Panther Discussions board will turn-up numerous others.

    People have also had the same problem with the 400s although Apple claim that only the 800s are affected.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    This was the famous bug that was discovered when Panther was first released that was causing people to lose all the data from their external firewire hard drives. I don't think it is a problem with the actual hardware as such and this should have been resolved with 10.3.1.

    I checked with Lacie and they assured me that there would be no problem with OS X. The disk is also hot pluggable and can be hooked up to either a PC or Mac without the need to format the drive or add specific drivers.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Come to think of it, I may just burn all that data to DVD before I re-install panther and hook up the firewire drive...
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Ashley,

    Actually, the bug that wrecked FireWire drives has been around since before Panther. It became widely known when Apple released OS 10.2.8 and the following day withdrew that release. Later a new 10.2.8 was released.

    I have two FireWire (400) drives permanently attached to my machine, first my old Frankenmac and now a new G4, and have never had even the slightest hint of a problem. But then, I'm booting exclusively into 9.2.2. ;)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    And who says OS X isn't wonderful!
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Its sad to admit but it really is wise to wait for a week or two before applying any Apple update these days.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    And who says OS X isn't wonderful!

    I do. Always have. B)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Allen_Wicks@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    Ouch, that's a nasty experience and I'll bear that in mind. If nothing else it shows that with computers we are never 100% safe. With the Lacie's I have heard a couple of people singing their praises and others who hate them. My decision to get one is largely based on having two monitors plus a CD writer that still work well and some good experience with tech support.

    My plan was to keep the system plus all apps on the original 20 gig hard disk and then use the 40 gig hard disk as a scratch disk for Photoshop but possibly create a 5 gig partition for OS 9 although I literally only fire that up once every few months now.

    On the Lacie, I would create a 20 gig partition and use a utility like deja vu to copy over the essential doents from the operating system and user folder at regular intervals. I thought the rest of space could be used to store work files which would mainly be tiff files, though I am not sure how many partitions I should create to be safe. In 5 years of computing I have never had a hard drive fail, but obviously it can and will happen one day so I think now would be an excellent time to get everything sorted out as reliably as possible.
    ashley_karyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    HI Ashley,

    Focusing on the DVD writer - I just replaced the stock Superdrive (2x Pioneer DVR-104) in my DP 1GHz Quicksilver with it's much faster brother, the 8x DVR-107. ($135 including shipping from ZipZoomFly.) With the release of 10.3.3, the 107 is supported natively. (which means the next generation of G5s will likely have them)

    Large hard drives are great but that means more and more backup space. Burning a DVD at 2x (half hour) is a pain, not to mention, finding 2x DVD-R discs is becoming difficult. I haven't burned an 8x DVD yet as they're just now starting to show up on the shelves but the 4x speeds are already a relief.

    The reason I bought the 107 - I too just lost a hard drive. A 5 month-old internal Maxtor 160 gb. I rebooted for whatever reason and poof, got the "This drive is not recognized by OSX - Initialize?" message. Nothing I tried helped this drive, including running DiskWarrior. Fortunately, I was backed up save for a few non-essential files.

    So yes - at some point you WILL have a hard drive fail. To be completely safe, it's best to have multiple backups on different media. What DVD burner are you thinking of getting? Of course, by this time next year, dual layer (9gb) 16x DVD burners will be all the rage.

    -phil
    PShock@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Hi Phil,
    I am getting a LaCie burner. Here is some of the blurb:

    "This universal drive delivers four DVD formats in a single, slim device. By combining DVD+RW and DVD-RW formats, the LaCie Dual DVD±RW Drive delivers greater creative versatility by eliminating the need to choose one format over another. This combination drive is also capable of writing to CD and DVD formats, which are compatible with nearly all existing DVD-Video players.

    Offering the fastest DVD record speed on the market in a slim, aluminum design, the LaCie Dual DVD Drive features 8x record speeds in DVD-R and DVD+R formats. This all-in-one rewritable drive also features FireWire and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports for easy connection to any Mac or PC, making it the most versatile drive available.

    Record professional-quality, personalized DVDs with your LaCie Dual DVD±RW Drive and the included Roxio DVD Builder authoring software. Import video and audio footage from your DV camcorder, arrange your sequences, and burn projects onto DVD or CD-Video disks. Completed DVDs can then be played back on virtually any DVD player to share among family and friends"

    As a basic objective, I'd like to have a large internal hard drive that is synced with an external drive. Finally, I'll make DVD back ups of every job including RAW files etc and using this system I reckon I'm safe. I'll also install a back up battery system that cuts in instantly in case of a power failiure to ensure nothing is lost that way.

    When the second generation of G5's comes out in a few months I want to totally re-organize everything from a standpoint of workflow. One thought for example is to use Quickeys or create a script to have saved images uploaded to all the stock agencies automatically via the FTP server. I like the idea of having it all automated so that the computer works in the background while I can concentrate on retouching. If it proves problematic, I suppose I could always transfer the files to the G4 via firewire and have that one do the operation in the background so that it doesn't interfere with my main work. Productivity is the name of the game, leaving time for creative solutions and I've been struggling along for far too much time. My current CD writer has a 4x maximum speed so it takes 40 minutes to write and verify a 700MB CD!

  20. #20

    My current CD writer has a 4x maximum speed so it takes 40 minutes to
    write and verify a 700MB CD!

    Ouch! For about $35 US, you could replace your G4's stock CD drive with a fully supported 52x32x52 burner. A full 700mb burn in under two minutes!
    PShock@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast