Professional Web Applications Themes

New Freebsd Install Guide Available - FreeBSD

YES there is something major wrong with the official handbook. The majority of the content is written like the reader already has good understanding of how FreeBSD works. It is not detailed enough for someone who has no previous experience with Unix like operating systems. The referenced Install guide gives clear step by step instructions. It only uses the sysinstall process to lay down the default operating system from cdrom. Then step by step instruction on which /etc conf files need to be edited and with what data needs to be added and why. It completely side steps the many ...

  1. #1

    Default New Freebsd Install Guide Available

    YES there is something major wrong with the official handbook. The
    majority of the content is written like the reader already has good
    understanding of how FreeBSD works. It is not detailed enough for
    someone who has no previous experience with Unix like operating
    systems.

    The referenced Install guide gives clear step by step instructions.
    It only uses the sysinstall process to lay down the default
    operating system from cdrom. Then step by step instruction on which
    /etc conf files need to be edited and with what data needs to be
    added and why. It completely side steps the many un-doented
    sysinstall options as functions only necessary for advanced users.

    If you were current on the content of the handbook you will see that
    the handbooks complete section on firewalls has been replaced with
    the complete firewall section from the Install guide we are talking
    about.

    AND if you had accessed the Install guide you would have see that it
    is available to everyone for download and viewing on their own PC.
    It is public domain and the FreeBSD-Doc group can incorporate it
    into the handbook or make it a separate install guide for beginners.

    The FreeBSD Install Guide is mirrored at the following sites.

    http://freebsd.easyasthat.co.uk/
    http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php
    http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php
    www.a1poweruser.com
    http://freebsdinfo.org/
    http://freebsd.a1poweruser.com:6088/
    http://freebsd.95mb.com/

    On 2005-04-03 00:11, Randy Pratt <net> wrote: [/ref]
    you

    > Is there something wrong with the installation instructions at:
    >
    >[/ref]
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.ht
    ml

    It's ok. There may be very good bits there (I haven't had a chance
    read the entire doent yet), so it's not very bad to suggest using
    it.

    If there are parts that we could include in the official FreeBSD
    doc/
    tree, that would be great too.

    So, if anyone has used the aforementioned guide and found parts that
    are
    not covered by the official docs, please mail either me directly or
    the
    freebsd-doc list.

    wouldn't it

    Agreed. Updating the official doentation, where it lacks, seems
    like
    a good thing.

    - Giorgos

    "org"

    Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: New Freebsd Install Guide Available

    What you didn't read the complete content of the message.
    You just wanted to see this, your meaningless out of context mesg
    on the list.

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    "org"

    Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 com wrote:

    [snip]

    Since all of these URLs (those which respond, at least) go to
    essentially the same content, I have a few questions: 1) Who wrote this?
    1a) Could it be Joseph Barbish? 2) Regardless, could the author be
    persuaded to contribute his/her wisdom to the official doentation,
    rather than verbally trash the latter?

    Persipiring minds want to know.

    --
    Chris Hill org
    ** [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

  4. #4

    As stated in the content displayed by those URL's the Install guide
    is free to anyone to download and very plainly states the content is
    contributed to public domain.
    So why are so many people asking the same question when the answer
    is so self evident?

    And this writer takes offence to anybody calling the promoting of
    this Install guide as verbally trashing the handbook.
    I don't need to do that. Many others have done that over the years.
    Any regular reader of the list will know that the handbook content
    has had many people voicing concern over its less than basic
    ability to convey meaningful instructions. No need to open that
    flame war again.

    The bottom line is the firewall section of this Install guide has
    been lifted and used to replace the FreeBSD official handbook's
    complete firewall section all ready. Any body can lift any part of
    the install guide and put forth their own effort to use it as source
    to replace other sections of the official handbook. There is nothing
    stopping you so go for it.

    This Install guide has a much more meaningful index which is right
    there all the time helping the reader to navigate the guides
    different subjects. The presentation method of the index and
    content on split screen is more in line with modern web content that
    every ones sees these days. Plus the install Guide progresses in an
    step by step manner from installing the base default system all the
    way up to configurating a private LAN which can masquerade as a
    commercial user. This address the desired server configuration most
    often wanted by the majority the first time posters to this
    questions list.

    Another important niche this FreeBSD Install Guide covers is that it
    is downloadable direct to ms/window boxes and can be viewed using
    the ms/explorer browser. You UNIX purists have to accept the fact
    that there are many ms/win users who want to be FreeBSD users and
    dual win/FreeBSD users out there and this Install guide opens up a
    bridge to the FreeBSD operating system to service this untapped
    potential user group. Just watch the posts on the list for the
    magnitude of ms/office top posters to bear out that truth. The
    official handbook in its current format does not address this. Since
    its 3/1//05 public domain release this install guide has been
    visited 1500 times and downloaded 216 times. This was mostly from
    people who responded from the UNIX news groups postings.

    The best thing for the FreeBSD doc group to do is request to be an
    official mirror of the Install guide. Hay the Doc group will have
    the best win win situation here. They get an alternate view of the
    install process that is maintained outside of the FreeBSD project.
    Much like the pf firewall has its own self maintained user guide.
    Now this is something to think about.

  5. #5

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:03:24 -0400
    <com> wrote:

    <snip top-posted tirade>

    > [snip]

    > Since all of these URLs (those which respond, at least) go to
    > essentially the same content, I have a few questions: 1) Who wrote
    > this?
    > 1a) Could it be Joseph Barbish? 2) Regardless, could the author be
    > persuaded to contribute his/her wisdom to the official
    > doentation,
    > rather than verbally trash the latter?
    >
    > Persipiring minds want to know.[/ref]

    Oops.. You're absolutely right Chris, it is the same:

    http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20040308154441.GA73721

    I didn't recognize the poster as the one who created that doent and
    tried to peddle it for money last year. It was another of those
    never-ending threads so rather than pollute the list lets just drop
    this. Its just not worth the time or bandwidth.

    My apologies to the list. I will be more careful in the future.

    Best regards,

    Randy

    --
    Randy Guest

  6. #6

    Well, both types of doentation are needed. The official formal
    doentation, which, of necessity , needs to be written in a rather
    formal language style and other explanitory docs for newbies and
    those of us who need a more conversational and step by step style
    at least to get started at things. There are several good books
    out with more conversational style and some reasonable web sites
    with tutorials.

    The only problem with many of the web sites and even the books is
    that they tend to take a personal preference prejucidial attitude
    toward things rather than encouraging readers to try out various
    things and giving them instruction toward those other choices.
    Some examples are installing and using Gnome. To read some guides,
    one would think it is impossible to run FreeBSD without Gnome.
    Some seem to imply it is absolutely necessary to install a third
    party MBR/boot manager such as Grub to boot FreeBSD, just because
    they like it. Some tend to think the only possible shell to use
    is bash or sh and anyone using something else can't possibly get their
    work done. The list could go on.

    But, in spite of that, the "third party" guides are useful and
    helpful. Just realize that, even more than the official handbook,
    they represent personally unique situations, opinions and preferences
    as well as useful information.

    I don't understand - the handbook is available online to any
    web browser, including ms exploder.

    Anyway, anything that helps people use FreeBSD is good.

    ////jerry
    Jerry Guest

  7. #7

    Many people who are involved in FreeBSD are not programmers. The Project
    includes doentation writers, Web designers, and support people. All that
    these people need to contribute is an investment of time and a willingness
    to learn.

    1. Read through the FAQ and Handbook periodically. If anything is badly
    explained, out of date or even just completely wrong, let us know. Even
    better, send us a fix (SGML is not difficult to learn, but there is no
    objection to ASCII submissions).

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/index.html

    -- I think this is great, but there should be a project leader to regulate
    overall structure of the Handbook and other doents as that is perhaps
    where the greatest amount of work is needed. Could we at least have a
    mailing list for writers?

    Texas Guest

  8. #8

    it was said:

    as
    Could

    Ask and you shall receive: org

    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/index.html

    Regards,

    stheg

    http://personals.

    stheg Guest

  9. #9

    That sort of thing may be present in some books but it wasn't in
    mine.

    I will say one thing though, that a 3rd party book must specialize on
    some aspect of FreeBSD if people are going to buy it. People that
    buy doentation usually have a more specific need than that they
    just want to boot FreeBSD on whatever spare PC they have lying around.
    So, for example in my book all examples were Bourne shell, because
    the focus of the book wasn't on running shells under UNIX. However I
    never wrote in the book that that readers should only use Bourne.
    In fact, on the section on system administration I specifically said
    Bourne and csh wern't optimal for new users, and tcsh and bash were
    more popular, followed by an overview of the major shells. Please
    be careful where your swinging that tarpot and brush in the future.

    Ted Mittelstaedt
    Author, The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide.
    http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com/
    Ted Guest

  10. #10

    Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

    > That sort of thing may be present in some books but it wasn't in
    > mine.
    >
    > I will say one thing though, that a 3rd party book must specialize on
    > some aspect of FreeBSD if people are going to buy it. People that
    > buy doentation usually have a more specific need than that they
    > just want to boot FreeBSD on whatever spare PC they have lying around.
    > So, for example in my book all examples were Bourne shell, because
    > the focus of the book wasn't on running shells under UNIX. However I
    > never wrote in the book that that readers should only use Bourne.
    > In fact, on the section on system administration I specifically said
    > Bourne and csh wern't optimal for new users, and tcsh and bash were
    > more popular, followed by an overview of the major shells. Please
    > be careful where your swinging that tarpot and brush in the future.[/ref]

    Sure, I know that. I probably should have continued the qualifier I
    used for the web site and said something like 'some of the books' since it
    would be what I meant. And the prejudices are different from one source
    to the next - it isn't the same everywhere. It is just something to be
    aware of. Even the official Handbook has a few personal prejudices that
    aren't really as absolute as the text may imply, though I haven't looked
    for any lately and it continues to be updated.

    ////jerry

    Jerold Guest