Professional Web Applications Themes

New G4 15" PowerBook - Mac Applications & Software

right now, the g4 15 inch powerbook is a year behind the 17 and 12 inch models. ive heard rumors that apple is coming out with a new 15" powerbook. if this is true, i will surely wait for this notebook to be available. for some reason, apple is very quite about future plans. does anyone have any info about this? thanks, orhan...

  1. #1

    Default New G4 15" PowerBook

    right now, the g4 15 inch powerbook is a year behind the 17 and 12 inch
    models. ive heard rumors that apple is coming out with a new 15" powerbook.
    if this is true, i will surely wait for this notebook to be available. for
    some reason, apple is very quite about future plans. does anyone have any
    info about this?

    thanks,
    orhan

    Orhan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New G4 15" PowerBook

    Orhan Ayasli <com> wrote:

    www.thinksecret.com
    www.macrumors.com
    Apple Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fze37f.12453pp1cacpxcN%com>,
    com (Apple Strudel) wrote:

    > www.thinksecret.com
    > www.macrumors.com[/ref]

    In short, no...but rumors are flying thick and fast.
    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    um.. yeah.. the rumors are that Apple can;t even make a friggin 1Ghz
    notebook that won't catch on fire or make it hard to hear the phone when it
    rings..
    "Steve Hix" <com> wrote in message

    > > www.thinksecret.com
    > > www.macrumors.com[/ref]
    >
    > In short, no...but rumors are flying thick and fast.[/ref]

    nappy Guest

  5. #5

    In article <PX7Za.395$news.prodigy.com>,
    "nappy" <net> wrote:

    > > In short, no...but rumors are flying thick and fast.[/ref]
    >
    > um.. yeah.. the rumors are that Apple can;t even make a friggin 1Ghz
    > notebook that won't catch on fire or make it hard to hear the phone when it
    > rings..[/ref]

    Now you've confused yourself between rumors of upcoming products,
    such as new, aluminum-cased 15.4" display PowerBooks, and frothings
    of idiots who can't keep up with reality.

    Apple has never made a laptop that would catch on fire, although they
    did catch, and recall, some faulty batteries that might have been a
    problem...about a half-dozen years back.

    If you have trouble hearing your phone's ringer, you should turn the
    ringer up from the lowest (or off) setting. Makes a world of difference,
    you know.

    I also fixed your top-posting problem.

    You're welcome.
    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steve Hix <com> wrote:

    > Now you've confused yourself between rumors of upcoming products,
    > such as new, aluminum-cased 15.4" display PowerBooks, and frothings
    > of idiots who can't keep up with reality.[/ref]

    You clearly haven't been paying attention. nappy _is_ an idiot who can't keep up
    with reality. Please stop feeding the troll.

    meeroh
    Miro Guest

  7. #7

    "Miro Jurisic" <org> wrote in message
    > [/ref][/ref]
    when it

    > > Now you've confused yourself between rumors of upcoming products,
    > > such as new, aluminum-cased 15.4" display PowerBooks, and frothings
    > > of idiots who can't keep up with reality.[/ref]
    >
    > You clearly haven't been paying attention. nappy _is_ an idiot who can't[/ref]
    keep up

    Just do a google search miro. You'll see more than one report that aludes to
    exactly what I said here. If you can't deal with this kind of information it
    is your problem. I .. well.. I just LOVE pointing it out. Apple is still
    trying to learn how to design things that look pretty and actually work.

    I have a PILE of Apple crap here that broke shortly after warrantiues were
    up.. keyboards, main boards, etc.. all crap. If you can't say anything
    worthwhile except to try and insult me (impossible coming from you) then
    you indeed are a brainwashed apple gook happy to pay extra for crap.

    nappy Guest

  8. #8

    nappy wrote:
    [...] [/ref][/ref]
    [...]

    That's true. I have had a lot of problems with Apple laptops. So had my
    friends. Still, all those is about 1/3rd of the number of problems I had
    with (for a good exampe) my company's Dell laptops, where after two
    years and countless replacements of mainboards, keyboards, harddrives
    etc., only the display kept its life in good shape. Of course I would
    dream about not having any probs with Apple equipment but those times
    seem to be over for good.

    This means that they have extremely good engineering. What use for Apple
    (or any manufacturer) is your equipment _working_ after the warranty
    period? ;-)

    Patryk Guest

  9. #9

    In article <mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    > > Now you've confused yourself between rumors of upcoming products,
    > > such as new, aluminum-cased 15.4" display PowerBooks, and frothings
    > > of idiots who can't keep up with reality.[/ref]
    >
    > You clearly haven't been paying attention. nappy _is_ an idiot who can't keep
    > up with reality. Please stop feeding the troll.[/ref]

    You have to admit that it can be hard to keep up with *all* the trolls,
    what with no published program, and all.
    Steve Guest

  10. #10

    "Patryk 'Silver Dream !' Łogiewa" <remove.it.pl> wrote in
    message news:inet.com.pl... [/ref]
    > [...] [/ref]
    aludes to [/ref]
    information it

    > That's true. I have had a lot of problems with Apple laptops. So had my
    > friends. Still, all those is about 1/3rd of the number of problems I had
    > with (for a good exampe) my company's Dell laptops, where after two
    > years and countless replacements of mainboards, keyboards, harddrives
    > etc., only the display kept its life in good shape. Of course I would
    > dream about not having any probs with Apple equipment but those times
    > seem to be over for good.
    >[/ref]

    I am not a fan of DELL stuff for some reason.. Maybe it is because they use
    3 idiots as interns in their commercials? Are they the ones who DELL finally
    hires? NO but really.. I always thought they were too expensive. I remember
    calling them about buys 15 computers for a network I was doating to the
    local school.. When I asked them to remove the Video card and the Network
    card from the deal the price went up!

     [/ref]
    were

    > This means that they have extremely good engineering. What use for Apple
    > (or any manufacturer) is your equipment _working_ after the warranty
    > period? ;-)[/ref]

    I got that feeling also.. But here's the clincher. There's no 3rd party
    choices out there I found 1 keyboard to replace the kbd for my Dual G4.. a
    MacAlley kbd.. The only other one I saw was a Final Cut Kbd for $139. Now I
    haven't paid $139 for a keyboard since the eighties.

    nappy Guest

  11. #11

    "Orhan Ayasli" <com> wrote in message news:<bh1e5i$65m$news.rcn.net>...

    Ask yourself if there anything you anticipate in the 15" update to
    make it worth waiting an indeterminate length of time before getting a
    new laptop? Almost certainly not. These are incremental gains not
    likely to be observable by most people in day-to-day work. Whereas,
    having no computer (or a five-year-old computer) for the next six
    months will be quite observable in day-to-day work. The only practical
    improvement is the paint-free case.

    -Eric
    Eric Guest

  12. #12

    "Eric Salathe" <com> wrote in message
    news:<bh1e5i$65m$news.rcn.net>... [/ref]
    powerbook. [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    any

    > Ask yourself if there anything you anticipate in the 15" update to
    > make it worth waiting an indeterminate length of time before getting a
    > new laptop? Almost certainly not. These are incremental gains not
    > likely to be observable by most people in day-to-day work. Whereas,
    > having no computer (or a five-year-old computer) for the next six
    > months will be quite observable in day-to-day work. The only practical
    > improvement is the paint-free case.
    >
    > -Eric[/ref]

    actually, i have a dinky dell laptop that i can use while i wait for the new
    powerbook. also, i am buying this computer for college, so i want a computer
    with features that can carry me through four years. certain features are
    worth waiting for, such as firewire 800, possibly usb 2.0, and faster RAM
    (the slightly faster processor and silver case are nice additions, but they
    are not necessary, in my opinion). my dad certainly wont buy me a new
    computer every two years, and i would feel like an idiot if i bought the
    current $2500 15" powerbook only to be outdated in a matter of months.

    and i am a cs major, i hope i wont just be doing "day-to-day work."

    orhan

    Orhan Guest

  13. #13

    I said: [/ref]

    Orhan said:

    Given that there is a lot of chatter now about updates, it might not
    hurt to wait. But generally speaking, this is not a winning strategy.

    Don't overestimate the importance of hardware features, even as a CS
    major. It is not clear how your major affects peripheral support (usb
    firewire), or whether there will be a lot of devices for which this is
    a critical issue in the next several years. Updates are often better
    used to allow you to move down the product line to less expensive
    models as to gain new features.

    I use my laptop to yze climate model results. It is an 800MHz
    TiBook, and there is really nothing in the last couple years of
    upgrades or in the foreseeable future that would make much difference
    to my work. In fact, my 2001 500MHz G3 iMac runs better today than it
    did when I bought it due to software improvements.

    So, I would not worry about anything happening to make the current
    flock of Macs obsolete. They will just become better in time with
    upgrades to the OS and software.

    -Eric
    Eric Guest

  14. #14

    On 08/12/2003 15:41, in article
    google.com, "Eric Salathe"
    <com> wrote:

    > Ask yourself if there anything you anticipate in the 15" update to
    > make it worth waiting an indeterminate length of time before getting a
    > new laptop? Almost certainly not. These are incremental gains not
    > likely to be observable by most people in day-to-day work. Whereas,
    > having no computer (or a five-year-old computer) for the next six
    > months will be quite observable in day-to-day work. The only practical
    > improvement is the paint-free case.
    >
    > -Eric[/ref]

    I followed Eric's logic in buying a new dual 1.4 GHz G4 PowerMac this
    spring, as my intro to the Mac world.

    Although I am very happy with it, damn if Apple did not come out with the G5
    a couple of months later. Now I have a bad case of CPU envy!! (g).

    I am also looking for a new laptop; the 17in powerbook is too much for me
    (awkward to carry), and as I am not in a hurry, I will likely wait for an
    upgraded 15 inch PB. Most things I've read call this size PB the "value
    point" among Mac laptops.

    Mike S.

    Michael Guest