Professional Web Applications Themes

New G4 goes right back to sleep - Mac Applications & Software

I bought a new G4 tower today. It's the basic model Apple is selling for $1299 that has the single 1.25 GHz processor and the Radeon 9000 graphics card. I spent some time struggling with setting up a non-admin user account and getting it to connect to the Internet, finally succeeded, then shut off the monitor and went and took a bath. When I got back, the computer had gone to sleep. It would wake when I used the Enter key, but kept going back to sleep in a couple of seconds. I couldn't get it to stay on. Finally ...

  1. #1

    Default New G4 goes right back to sleep

    I bought a new G4 tower today. It's the basic model Apple is selling
    for $1299 that has the single 1.25 GHz processor and the Radeon 9000
    graphics card.
    I spent some time struggling with setting up a non-admin user account
    and getting it to connect to the Internet, finally succeeded, then
    shut off the monitor and went and took a bath.

    When I got back, the computer had gone to sleep. It would wake when
    I used the Enter key, but kept going back to sleep in a couple of
    seconds. I couldn't get it to stay on.

    Finally I shut it off and used my Winders computer to search for
    sleep problems on the Apple site. I found this
    which describes the problem pretty well - Radeon 9000 card, VGA
    monitor using DVI to VGA adapter, mirrored drive doors...

    The trouble is that they suggest updating to OS 10.2.6 and that's
    what I already have. It came from the store that way.

    There's nothing connected to this computer yet besides the USB
    keyboard and mouse that came with it - and the monitor.

    Anyone else have this particular problem and find a solution?
    Is it possible to set the computer not to automatically go to
    sleep at all and only go to sleep when you tell it to?

    lugg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New G4 goes right back to sleep

    In article <com>, lugg <com>
    wrote:

    Click on the "Apple" icon at the Top Left corner of the Menubar, then
    select "System PreferencesŠ" from the menu and then the "System
    Preferences" dialog will appear.

    Try running the "Software Update" just in case there is a fix for it
    available form apple.

    I'd also check that the "Sleep" settings in the "Light Bulb/Energy
    Save" control panel are set up right. You cna turn off sleep completely
    there too.

    Also check out
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
    to see if they have any solution s for it.

    And if that fails, contact the Apple Dealer or Apple SOS about it - as
    they can't be selling "deffective" prodcuts like this out of the box if
    they want to stay in business.

    HTH..

    Milton Aupperle
    www.outcastsoft.com
    Milton Guest

  3. #3

    Milton Aupperle wrote:

    > Click on the "Apple" icon at the Top Left corner of the Menubar, then
    > select "System Preferences" from the menu and then the "System
    > Preferences" dialog will appear.
    >
    > Try running the "Software Update" just in case there is a fix for it
    > available form apple.
    >
    > I'd also check that the "Sleep" settings in the "Light Bulb/Energy
    > Save" control panel are set up right. You cna turn off sleep completely
    > there too.
    >
    > Also check out
    > http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
    > to see if they have any solution s for it.
    >
    > And if that fails, contact the Apple Dealer or Apple SOS about it[/ref]

    I finally called Apple this afternoon. The guy at the store where
    I bought it wouldn't help and just told me to call the Apple Care
    number. The guy I talked to there is blaming my monitor. It's a
    NEC Multisync FE791SB I bought a month or so ago.
    The Apple Care guy said for a workaround I could leave the computer
    on all the time and shut it off when I'm not using it. Turning off
    automatic sleep and putting it to sleep manually doesn't always
    work. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't,
    I can reboot in the couple of seconds before it goes back
    to sleep and it seems to be OK after that.

    One thing I noticed - when I first brought the computer home and
    started it up, it seemed able to identify my monitor. It can't now.

    Also, when I first brought it home it had nearly every resolution
    available as a recommended display in System Preferences \ Display.
    Now it only lists 640x480 at 56 Hz and 60 Hz as recommended displays.
    So of course I've unchecked the setting to "show modes recommended
    by display" because 60 Hz is unbearable.
    Clicking the button for "Detect displays" doesn't result in any
    kind of indication it found anything. The only things I installed
    on teh computer since yesterday were a couple of security updates
    and Safari from the update site. I don't know what happened to its
    ability to detect the monitor and I wonder if that isn't the cause
    of the sleep problem.

    lugg Guest

  4. #4

    lugg wrote:

    Well, as soon as I wrote that I woke it up, rebooted, and this
    time it detected the monitor. This computer is driving me
    bananas. I suppose it's too much to hope that sleep will
    work properly now, considering it wasn't working just before
    I had to reboot it. :-/

    lugg Guest