Professional Web Applications Themes

New guy- what is a color proof? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Did they ask for this after you sent them the file? I have had to ask for this when fonts were missing, an odd color space was used, or graphics appeared strange, many other reasons. The reasons for asking for a color proof from the customer, in these cases, is to have something to 'correct' the file with, this way the printer knows generally what the customer is expecting of their finished project and the proof will be what it SHOULD be, a final check, to make sure nothing is 'missed' or overlooked. No printer wants to print something out ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: New guy- what is a color proof?

    Did they ask for this after you sent them the file? I have had to ask for this when fonts were missing, an odd color space was used, or graphics appeared strange, many other reasons. The reasons for asking for a color proof from the customer, in these cases, is to have something to 'correct' the file with, this way the printer knows generally what the customer is expecting of their finished project and the proof will be what it SHOULD be, a final check, to make sure nothing is 'missed' or overlooked. No printer wants to print something out to show to the customer when they know, or suspect, it is wrong, or below the quality a customer should expect.
    Long detailed example story as I'm a bit slow today:
    Years ago I HAD to do this, as I worked for a small print shop that printed fiery prints for graphic design students at the local college. Our systems were completely calibrated every morning and we worked steadily to maintain accurate color. A lot of students never seemed to grasp the concept of color management, at least early on in their education, and were very upset to pick up their work, (five minutes before their final), and find their photos had people with green faces, or other awfull color casts. It "printed fine on their home ink jet!" The point is, morally, since they were being graded on these projects, we could not color correct for them. We would attempt to call them if something was wrong, but often times they were dropping them off the night before their nine o'clock class when they were due.
    The point to this rambling is: They threw fits, were very embarrassed and upset and angry, often trying to blame us and our machines, even though I think they knew that wasn't the case. These were students, you do NOT, I mean NOT, want this reaction from a business client, or even a professional designer client. If something seems "wrong" with a file, rather than insult the client by insinuating it looks "bad" to you (only to find out it WAS on purpose), the best thing to do is simply ask the client to provide a "color proof" of how they think it should look and take it from there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, something that looks incredibly wonky to me may be the next frontier in ad design to the world at large. TGIF.
    Heather Bell Guest

  2. #2

    What the print shop is asking for is a printed piece of paper that you agree is what the colors should look like.

    If you feel the color printout is not perfect, I would make it clear to the print shop that you do not agree that the color proof is the exact color management specs for the job.

    However, I would also make sure that any overprinting and/or transparency settings look right on this color printout.

    My partner and I just went through a problem where the color proof that was sent to the print shop did NOT show overprinting correctly. Therefore the print shop never knew that the plate they were printing were incorrect.
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    What the print shop is asking for is a printed piece of paper that you
    agree is what the colors should look like.

    I disagree. The printer is asking for a color proof, and this proof or printout will not be used for final color approval. Most printers request a laser proof at 100% size to be submitted with job to check for content (not to match color). Black and White lasers are usually all that are necessary, but if you submit color lasers that will suffice.
    Jeffrey_Smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    When the printer asks a client for a color proof, it could be at either of 2 levels:

    1. Laser output to check content generally (as other posters have said), not color
    or
    2. A Kodak, Pictro or other "high-end" proof that will be used to match (or at least guide) colour.

    In my experience, most magazines want the latter. Most printers want the former.

    You need to ask your printer.
    Murray_Coppold@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    In my understanding a "color proof" is submitted to the printer with the digital files to give an approximate view of how the final print should look. The "press proof" is then submitted back to the client to show how the file printed on the printer and for approval for the final run.
    Bart_Shafer@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Lots of semantics going on. This is a fairly spot-on site for both printers and designers, if they ever wonder what the other one is talking about.
    <http://www.albionmich.com/cards/printingdef.htm>

    "Press proofs" will vary, as some printers will do a 'while you wait' proof right before they run the job. If you don't have multiple pressman and presses though it is unrealistic and press proofs are printed and then press is broken down to run another job. A pressman can aways match his own sample if he's worth his salt.
    Heather Bell Guest

  7. #7

    What the print shop is asking for is a printed piece of paper that you
    agree is what the colors should look like

    And if that piece of paper is produced in a completely un-colormanaged environment, what is the printer expected to do? Chase the color on your crappy color laser? That's silly.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    "...what the colors should look like" was an unfortunate choice of words.

    In my experience with submitting color signatures for my books, the color proof that goes with the files tells the print shop what I expect to see when the doent is printed.

    I expect to see red in this area, blue in another, black in another, a spot color here, a combination of spot and process there.

    However, the anticipation of what that red should exactly look like would most certainly not come from an office printer color proof.
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    >I'm very green and have a printer requesting a color proof. What is this
    and how is it created? I thought a color proof was just a personal printout
    to compare the printed colors to the displayed.

    To tackle this from another angle, if you were suppling film to this printer, you most definitely want to provide a color proof.

    However, since you most likely submitted digital files, and everyone else assumed this, it is bes to submit a hardcopy representative printout of the finished piece or submit a representative pdf.

    Ideally, the pdf retains separation channels and notate the pdf must be viewed in show overprint. Also note that the pdf is NOT a press ready pdf.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I also thing it is a good idea to ask the printer to print on exactly the paper that is required for the job this can be matt or semi-gloss paper. Byside this there are different white papers and no two white are the same.
    Simon_P_Cooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    The way I understand what the OP is asking.

    The printer knowing the OP is new to all this wants to see with a printout what the OP thinks he wants by having the OP supply a printout of the job.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest