Professional Web Applications Themes

new importing image problem - Macromedia Freehand

i just downloaded the newest osx update and now freehand (10 and mx) crashes any time i try to import any type of image. i can work within files that already had images, but no new ones can be brought in. i have a similliar problem with dreamweaver, where it will not allow me to create a linked image (other than doing it through the html function) org :Q...

  1. #1

    Default new importing image problem

    i just downloaded the newest osx update and now freehand (10 and mx) crashes
    any time i try to import any type of image. i can work within files that
    already had images, but no new ones can be brought in. i have a similliar
    problem with dreamweaver, where it will not allow me to create a linked image
    (other than doing it through the html function)

    org :Q

    upso Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: new importing image problem

    haha. you cant imagine how frusterating this is.
    upso Guest

  3. #3

    upso wrote:

    By "newest osx update" do you mean OS X 10.4 (Tiger)? If so, check out the
    known issues:

    http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_18893

    I suggest you use Disk Utility to repair file permissions.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    yeah, ive already repaired my permissions.
    what i mean by the new osx update is.. on saturday there was a security update
    available as well as a new quicktime update (7.1 i think) im currently running
    10.4.1 with whatever updates they offered updated.

    im wondering if its a quicktime issue. does QT manage images? does it have
    anything to do with FH?

    upso Guest

  5. #5

    upso wrote:

    That is very weird. I'm still on OS 10.3.8.

    Just to satisfy my curiosity, would you check to see if your image importer
    plug-ins are still intact? Find the FHMX application. Option-click to 'Show
    package contents'. Then open Resources/English.lprog/Plug-ins. You should
    see a number of purple-iconed plug-ins with obvious names like 'GIF import
    Export', 'JPEG Import Export', 'TIFF import Export', etc.

    Have you tried reinstalling FHMX?

    Because JPEG images can carry viruses, I wonder if the FHMX image importer
    plug-ins are being blocked by the Apple security update. You could test by
    disabling security features in the system Sharing preferences and see if it
    makes any difference.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    yeah.. ive found that folder. heres the contents:
    "http://www.upsod.com/_dreamless/pluggins.jpg"

    i have NOT re-installed.. because the updated on the macromedia site for 11.02
    seems to be only downloadable once (when you put in a valid serial) and i no
    longer have that download.. and dont want to risk losing the .02 (does that
    make sense?)

    upso Guest

  7. #7

    upso wrote:

    You have the correct plug-ins, so that's not an issue.

    I always download an installer, burn it to CD to have a permanent copy, and
    then install the software. I suggest you do that next time.

    The download is for an installer only. It won't overwrite your current
    installation until you actually run the installer. You could install to a
    new User account, for testing purposes. If you decide you want to download
    the installer again, talk to customer service.

    The Tiger OS and updater are new and untested. You may have run into a
    'fatal' conflict. For your sake and ours, I hope not.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    yeah. i agree i should have burned it to cd, but i guess i didnt realize i only
    had one opportunity to download it off the FH site.
    anyways.. would creating a new user account be any different than just trying
    to reinstall on my current account? i just logged into another account i
    already had and it has the same import problem.

    im still curious if its possible quicktime is the problem. either way, the
    only way im able to work within freehand right now is having someone take
    imagaes for me, open them up in illustrator, saving down to an ai.8 file and
    then me opening them in FH and copying and pasting the images from there. no
    other way to get the images into my files, which really stinks.

    i really hope apple fixes this. i wish there was some way i could contact
    them. but im sure they wouldnt be able to help.

    upso Guest

  9. #9

    upso wrote:

    My thinking was that if you did a new install in a new User account, you
    would get a fresh preferences and settings.

    Are you using any third-party virus protection? If so turn it off, restart
    the machine and see if it solves the FHMX issue. I don't know if there's any
    way to disable QuickTime, except to restart the machine in Safe Mode
    (Extensions disabled). To do that when restarting, press and hold the Shift
    key after the startup chime. It would be worth a try for testing purposes.

    Report it to the Freehand bug form here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=10

    These reports go directly to the FH engineers ... assuming of course there
    are still some FH engineers around.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  10. #10

    ive sent a message. god i hope they respond.
    upso Guest

  11. #11

    upso wrote:

    You might want to keep an eye on reports on MacFixIt. It looks like there
    are some issues in 10.4.1 with permissions not being recognized.
    You could send them a report as well.

    http://www.macfixit.com/

    Loss of permissions could affect how FH finds the Xtras at launch. Are you
    able to export to raster file formats such as JPEG, TIFF etc.?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  12. #12

    thanks for the tip. i just sent them an email.
    upso Guest

  13. #13

    oh and yes.. i can export no problemo
    upso Guest