Professional Web Applications Themes

New Installation Question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but here it is again. I have a new 80G hard drive on which I want to install XP and Linux. I plan on first booting up with the XP CD to prepare the drive. Here is my plan: Partition 1: 15G, NTFS, Reserved for XP OS Partition 2: 30G, NTFS, Reserved for downloads and other files Partition 3: 20G, FAT32, Reserved for sharing between XP and Linux I have 15G left for Linux. Questions: (1) Should I go ahead and create this partition with the XP setup partitioning tool, ...

  1. #1

    Default New Installation Question

    I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but here it is
    again. I have a new 80G hard drive on which I want to install XP and
    Linux. I plan on first booting up with the XP CD to prepare the drive.
    Here is my plan:

    Partition 1: 15G, NTFS, Reserved for XP OS
    Partition 2: 30G, NTFS, Reserved for downloads and other files
    Partition 3: 20G, FAT32, Reserved for sharing between XP and Linux

    I have 15G left for Linux.

    Questions:

    (1) Should I go ahead and create this partition with the XP setup
    partitioning tool, or should I just leave this space alone and let
    Linux create the partition(s)?

    (2) If I should create the partition, should I create one big fat32
    partition and let Linux split it up, or should I go ahead and create
    all the partitions needed by Linux (swap, etc.)? If I should create
    all the Linux partitions, what should there sizes be with the 15G that
    I have available?

    After you answer those questions, I have another scenario. I will have
    a second drive (the old drive) which is a little slower than the new
    drive. Would it be best to install Linux on the second drive, or does
    it really matter?

    I will appreciate your knowledge?
    Greg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Installation Question

    On 18 Dec 2003 14:40:08 -0800, com (Greg) wrote:

    .... either, but i'd leave it alone

    .... i dont think it really matters.

    The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs
    of an expanding bureaucracy.
    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    Greg wrote:

    Leave unpartitioned space in WinXP installation and let Linux create the
    Linux partitions.

    It doesn't matter. Personally, I'd put the shared FAT partition on the
    old drive and install both OSs on the new one.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi

  4. #4

    It will not name it at all, won't even see it at all.
    --
    Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
    Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.

  5. #5

    mjt <ru> wrote in message news:<VlqEb.4140$news.atl.earthlink.net>...

    > ... either, but i'd leave it alone

    > ... i dont think it really matters.[/ref]

    Thanks. If I leave it alone, and Windows assigns drive letters C, D,
    E, F (CDRW). What will XP do after Linux installs. Will it rename my F
    to a higher letter, or will it leave F alone, and name the Linux
    partition G?
    Greg Guest

  6. #6

    On 19 Dec 2003 07:25:36 -0800, com (Greg) wrote:

    > Thanks. If I leave it alone, and Windows assigns drive letters C, D,
    > E, F (CDRW). What will XP do after Linux installs. Will it rename my F
    > to a higher letter, or will it leave F alone, and name the Linux
    > partition G?[/ref]

    .... winders doesnt recognize Linux filesystems

    Command, n.: Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer
    in such a manner as to make the human feel as if he is in control.
    mjt Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:25:36 -0800, Greg wrote:

    >> ... either, but i'd leave it alone
    >>

    >> ... i dont think it really matters.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks. If I leave it alone, and Windows assigns drive letters C, D,
    > E, F (CDRW). What will XP do after Linux installs. Will it rename my F
    > to a higher letter, or will it leave F alone, and name the Linux
    > partition G?[/ref]
    Your windows drive letters should stay the same because windows cannot see
    the linux partition as windows tends to be dense compared to linux

    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email

  8. #8

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >>Thanks. If I leave it alone, and Windows assigns drive letters C, D,
    >>E, F (CDRW). What will XP do after Linux installs. Will it rename my F
    >>to a higher letter, or will it leave F alone, and name the Linux
    >>partition G?[/ref]
    >
    > Your windows drive letters should stay the same because windows cannot see
    > the linux partition as windows tends to be dense compared to linux[/ref]

    Assuming, of course, that when you partitioned out your Linux partitions,
    you didn't mark them as MSDOS or NTFS partitions in the partition table.

    It makes a difference. MSWindows will ignore the partitions it doesn't
    understand (like EXT2 or Linux Swap or Linux Extended), but /will/ assign
    drive letters for the ones it recognizes (MSDOS FAT flavours or NTFS). The
    problem is that, once the drive letters are assigned, Windows doesn't
    recognize the partition format (it can't read an ext2 fs, for instance, even
    if the partition was marked as a FAT16 partition), and wants to reformat it
    into NTFS or FAT.

    To avoid all this, make sure your linux partitions are set to the proper
    partition types.

    FWIW, here's the list that fdisk recognizes:
    0 Empty 1c Hidden Win95 FA 70 DiskSecure Mult bb Boot Wizard hid
    1 FAT12 1e Hidden Win95 FA 75 PC/IX be Solaris boot
    2 XENIX root 24 NEC DOS 80 Old Minix c1 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
    3 XENIX usr 39 Plan 9 81 Minix / old Lin c4 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
    4 FAT16 <32M 3c PartitionMagic 82 Linux swap c6 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
    5 Extended 40 Venix 80286 83 Linux c7 Syrinx
    6 FAT16 41 PPC PReP Boot 84 OS/2 hidden C: da Non-FS data
    7 HPFS/NTFS 42 SFS 85 Linux extended db CP/M / CTOS / .
    8 AIX 4d QNX4.x 86 NTFS volume set de Dell Utility
    9 AIX bootable 4e QNX4.x 2nd part 87 NTFS volume set df BootIt
    a OS2 Boot Mgr 4f QNX4.x 3rd part 8e Linux LVM e1 DOS access
    b Win95 FAT32 50 OnTrack DM 93 Amoeba e3 DOS R/O
    c Win95 FAT32 51 OnTrack DM6 Aux 94 Amoeba BBT e4 SpeedStor
    e Win95 FAT16 52 CP/M 9f BSD/OS eb BeOS fs
    f Win95 Ext'd 53 OnTrack DM6 Aux a0 IBM Thinkpad hi ee EFI GPT
    10 OPUS 54 OnTrackDM6 a5 FreeBSD ef EFI (FAT-12/16/
    11 Hidden FAT12 55 EZ-Drive a6 OpenBSD f0 Linux/PA-RISC b
    12 Compaq diagn 56 Golden Bow a7 NeXTSTEP f1 SpeedStor
    14 Hidden FAT16 5c Priam Edisk a8 Darwin UFS f4 SpeedStor
    16 Hidden FAT16 61 SpeedStor a9 NetBSD f2 DOS 2ndry
    17 Hidden HPFS 63 GNU HURD or Sys ab Darwin boot fd Linux raid auto
    18 AST SmrtSlp 64 Novell Netware b7 BSDI fs fe LANstep
    1b Hidden Win95 65 Novell Netware b8 BSDI swap ff BBT

    Lew Guest