Professional Web Applications Themes

New login does not have access to any objects - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I'm not sure I understand exactly where you are having the problem but. 1. if the create of the login fails, you probably do not have permission.. 2. if you can create the login, but can't login with it ( and it is a standard sql login.) Your server might be set up to use trusted connections only... This can be changed in the SQL Enterprise manager right click your server, go to properties, security, and choose Window and SQL logins... (SQL will have to be re-started for this change to take effect.) Hope this helps. "Nicolas Verhaeghe" <com_nospam> wrote ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: New login does not have access to any objects

    I'm not sure I understand exactly where you are having the problem but.
    1. if the create of the login fails, you probably do not have permission..
    2. if you can create the login, but can't login with it ( and it is a
    standard sql login.) Your server might be set up to use trusted connections
    only... This can be changed in the SQL Enterprise manager right click your
    server, go to properties, security, and choose Window and SQL logins... (SQL
    will have to be re-started for this change to take effect.)

    Hope this helps.
    "Nicolas Verhaeghe" <com_nospam> wrote in message
    for
    Windows

    Wayne Guest

  2. #2

    Make the login a member of sysadmins (system administrators) to grant
    dbo rights. However, this isn't something you want to give to everyone
    -- best take a look at security best practices before you shoot
    yourself in the foot security-wise...
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/administration/2000/securityWP.asp

    -- Mary
    MCW Technologies
    http://www.mcwtech.com

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:13:49 GMT, "Nicolas Verhaeghe"

    Mary Guest

  3. #3

    The login has to be a SQL server login and therefore cannot be a member of
    this group.

    Also, this is a work around, which is ok for the moment, and we have already
    applied it, but it does not solve the problem...

    "Mary Chipman" <please> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    access [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    Windows
    >[/ref]

    Nicolas Guest

  4. #4

    "Nicolas Verhaeghe" <com_nospam> wrote in message

    A SQL Server login can be made a memeber of the sysadmin fixed server role
    just like a Windows login.
    Try:

    USE master
    EXEC sp_addlogin 'testlogin','password','mydefaultdb'
    EXEC sp_addsrvrolemember 'testlogin' , 'sysadmin'

    If you want to use EM you should check the 'system administrators' checkbox
    in the server roles tab of the login properties window.
     [/ref][/ref]
    and, [/ref]
    > access [/ref][/ref]
    checked [/ref][/ref]

    You will not see the boxes checked as members of the sysadmin fixed server
    role are always mapped to the dbo user in every DB.
    The dbo user is a member of the DB role dbowner and has implicit full
    permissions on the DB.
     [/ref][/ref]
    a [/ref][/ref]

    If you can't even connect to the server, I would look for the problem
    elsewhere.
    A valid login, even if it has no permissions should be able to connect to
    the server.

    Make sure again that you server is configured to use 'MIXED MODE'
    authentication (change requires restart) and that your client app. is using
    the correct connection settings for SQL Authentication.

    HTH

    Amy Guest

  5. #5

    If you have added this Login to the sysadmin role then you will see NO ticks
    in any boxes. You don't need to. This person is now God, SQL Server
    understands that and doesn't need to tick anything.

    --

    Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)

    "Nicolas Verhaeghe" <com_nospam> wrote in message
    for
    Windows

    Allan Guest