Professional Web Applications Themes

New MS JDBC Driver Availability? - Coldfusion Database Access

In late January 2006, Microsoft released an updated JDBC driver specifically for their SQL 2005 product. I am interested in if / when Adobe will update its CF database driver package to include this new driver. If it is not going to be anytime soon, can we get instructions on how to incorporate this new driver into the existing driver package? Thanks, Geoff N. Hiten Senior Database Administrator Microsoft SQL Server MVP...

  1. #1

    Default New MS JDBC Driver Availability?

    In late January 2006, Microsoft released an updated JDBC driver specifically
    for their SQL 2005 product. I am interested in if / when Adobe will update its
    CF database driver package to include this new driver. If it is not going to
    be anytime soon, can we get instructions on how to incorporate this new driver
    into the existing driver package?

    Thanks,
    Geoff N. Hiten
    Senior Database Administrator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

    SQLCraftsman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New MS JDBC Driver Availability?

    It seems unlikely Adobe will be incorporating Microsoft's driver at any point
    into their software. Generally if a driver for a microsoft database shows up
    it is because it came from a 3rd party like datadirect or was installed by the
    OS. Certainly microsoft's JDBC driver will not be retrofitted into existing
    product, even if Adobe bought it later on.

    You can add the jar file (sqljdbc.jar) to your classpath explicitly in the
    cfadmin, or just place the file in cfmx_root/lib directory. Restart cfmx for
    the jar to be seen.

    Create a new datasource of type other:
    Class = com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
    URL =
    "jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;database=pubs;user=MyUserName;password=* ****"

    Update the URL as appropriate to use correct server, database, etc. Any valid
    URL format that MS describes in their help pages should work in CF.

    kasmit4 Guest

  3. #3

    Actualyl, the MS driver was built by datadirect and has a free redistribution
    license . That is why I would expect Adobe/Macromedia to incorporate it ASAP
    into their driver package. I need to replace the existing obsolete driver with
    one that offers the complete functionality of the SQL 2005 database product.

    SQLCraftsman Guest

  4. #4

    Actually Microsoft and DataDirect both claim this is a Microsoft developed
    driver. This is unlike the earlier Microsoft driver they distributed.

    If you need the driver now, why not just download it from microsoft?

    kasmit4 Guest

  5. #5

    You should just go download it yourself. We recently upgraded to SQL 2005 x64
    on a Dell 6850 Quad Dual Core running CF7.1 and couldn't be happier. Our
    average processes went from averaging 60-80% on our dual processor x86 running
    SQL 2000 box to 1-7% on our Quad x64 running SQl 2005.

    We run CF on top of JRUN with 8 instances. We did have some random errors with
    default drivers in CF7.1, so we moved to to the Microsoft JDBC drivers and
    everything is running very smoothly for us.

    Latest JDBC drivers here: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
    href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ref/jdbc/">Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC
    Driver</a>.
    <UL>Download the driver that's right for you. </UL>
    <UL>Extract it and find the "sqljdbc.jar". </UL>
    <UL>Place the sqljdbc.jar in your Lib directory under the JRun directory or
    find it under the CFusionMX directory if you are not running CF on top of
    JRun. </UL>
    <UL>Restart CF. </UL>
    <UL>Go to your CF administrator and datasources. </UL>
    <UL>Add a new data source and select "other" for the driver.</UL>
    <UL>Where it says "JDBC URL" enter something like
    "jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;database=myDatabase".</UL>
    <UL>Where it says "Driver Class" enter
    "com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver" </UL>
    <UL>Where it says "Driver Name" enter "sqljdbc.jar" (optional).</UL>
    <UL>Enter a username and password and you're good to go.</UL>

    Neo Rye Guest