Professional Web Applications Themes

New Nikon D2H, more DX's, new Speedlight - Photography

Here's a link to a page detailing some new 'goodies' from Nikon ... the translation is a bit quirky BTW http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photim.net%2FNikon-D2%2FNikon-D2H.htm&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools ....apologies if I'm repeating anything already posted here Simon...

  1. #1

    Default New Nikon D2H, more DX's, new Speedlight

    Here's a link to a page detailing some new 'goodies' from Nikon ... the
    translation is a bit quirky BTW

    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photim.net%2FNikon-D2%2FNikon-D2H.htm&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

    ....apologies if I'm repeating anything already posted here

    Simon

    Simon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Nikon D2H, more DX's, new Speedlight

    in article uk.clara.net, Simon Stanmore at
    com wrote on 21/7/03 11:31 am:

    Interesting that there was so much detail (e.g. Number of AF Sensors,
    location on screen, etc.) and no mention of pixel count...

    Ben Guest

  3. #3

    Simon Stanmore wrote:

    I don't understand what they are doing with the new flash. Is that wireless infrared, or radio signal? A radio slave set-up would be nice, depending upon cost.

    I would guess the larger LCD on the newer camera will have more photographers doing arms out photography with it. It always amuses me to see people take photos
    that way.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat
    Alliance Graphique Studio
    <http://www.allgstudio.com>

    Gordon Guest

  4. #4

    "Ben Micklem" <com> wrote in message

    > Interesting that there was so much detail (e.g. Number of AF Sensors,
    > location on screen, etc.) and no mention of pixel count...[/ref]

    Ben - It has 11 sensors - see the viewfinder image just under the whole-body
    pic's. The sensor is likely to be this ...
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp

    Simon

    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    "Ben Micklem" <com> wrote in message
    news:BB41E67D.1CA6%com... [/ref]
    whole-body

    > I know. Read my post again, I was saying that if they had so much detailed
    > info on the viewfinder, why not the number of pixels.[/ref]

    Ahh yes ... oops. This is all 'unofficial' news right now ... a lot more
    info' is to come. I'm figuring that the new LBCAST sensor will be used as
    this'll put it on par with the 1D

    Simon

    Simon Guest

  6. #6

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03072204nikond2h.asp

    Sounds like the 1D to me, with a few extra bells and whistles.

    Thomas E. Witte

    www.mindspring.com/~photoj
    Thomas Guest

  7. #7

    Ben Micklem <com> wrote:

    The D2H has 4 megapixels.

    T Guest

  8. #8

    Gordon Moat <net> wrote:

    For PJs and paparazzi, it is often the only way of getting the shot.
    There is nothing "amusing" about it; it gets many of the pictures that
    most people want to see on the front pages of their newspapers and
    magazines.

    The larger, brighter LCD should make quite a difference to these guys.

    T Guest

  9. #9

    > > You really can't do this with a DSLR. The LCD's offer no preview ...[/ref][/ref]
    honest
    cheaper
    (so

    4 'quality' DSLR MP's are more than enough for PJ work - leaps & bounds
    above a 4MP compacts output. The 8fps & 40 image buffer is the draw here.
    The resulting JPEGs have to be transmitted too (imagine that with a 1DS
    file). Remember this is the 2H. When the 2X turns up it'll likely be spec'd
    to compete with the 1DS. Nikon seems pretty commited to the DX line right
    now so I'd be a little surprised if it will be full-frame

    Simon

    Simon Guest

  10. #10

    "deryck lant" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]

    > [/ref]
    honest
    the

    Now that's a new one on me ... where did you get this info' from Deryck?

    Simon

    Simon Guest

  11. #11

    "Skip Middleton" <net> wrote in message
    photojournalists,

    I honestly don't think photojournalists would even want the higher res
    images.
    High-res would only slow down their entire post-shot processes (upload,
    edit, print, archive) without adding quality to their output type
    (newspapers, web-sites, sports magazines, etc. & other low res mediums).

    Mark Guest

  12. #12

    in article 19gTa.13832$Bp2.5286fed1read07, Mark M at net
    wrote on 22/7/03 8:21 pm:

    This is an area where I think some may miss out on in the future. With film,
    if you got a good shot, you could syndicate it for use on anything up to
    about A3, or more if the quality is less important. With a 4MP digital
    capture, this wouldn't be as possible. But I suppose if it really was
    important, the quality wouldn't matter that much.

    I suppose it is like arguing against APS- if people are never getting prints
    bigger than 6x4, is it really that much worse than 35mm? If journalists only
    need one or two images in their careers to be n up huge, then taking
    huge digital files may not be worth it, especially as the reduced upload
    times may mean others get there shots in first...

    Ben Guest

  13. #13

    Default Official Nikon link... Re: New Nikon D2H, more DX's, new Speedlight

    http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_release/2003/d2h.htm

    It has not much pixels by present standards, but
    it is fast: 8fps with up to 40 consecutive images.

    Thomas

    ThomasH Guest

  14. #14

    Ben Micklem <com> wrote:

    I have been telling people on this list for several weeks that the D2H
    would be 4 megapixels. My information came directly from a source at
    Nikon Japan and has once again been proved to be correct.

    Photojournalists (PJs) have no need of lots of megapixels.

    The 2.7 megapixels of the D1 and D1H is already more than enough for
    all newspaper work and most magazine work up to half page.

    PJs value speed above all. Why use a slower 6 megapixel chip when
    even *4* megapixels is overkill?

    For more pixels, you will have to wait for the D1X replacement, which
    will compete directly with the Canon EOS 1Ds but will be faster.

    T Guest

  15. #15

    Ben Micklem <com> wrote:

    Nonsense.

    Newspapers have been printing shots from 2.7 megapixels to whole page
    (and more) ever since the arrival of the Nikon D1. The 4 megapixels
    of the D2H is overkill for newspaper work.

    In any case, an important news shot will *never* be rejected due to a
    perceived lack of quality.

    T Guest

  16. #16

    "Simon Stanmore" <com> wrote:

    I have already posted the basic specs of the D1X replacement.

    Given that Nikon have stated *exactly this* in their press releases
    (see my previous posts on the subject) it would indeed be a surprise!

    Paraphrasing their statements: "Nikon have not completely ruled out a
    full frame sensor but there will be no full-frame (24x36mm) sensor in
    any pro Nikon DSLR for the foreseeable future."

    I don't think Nikon could have been clearer, so I wonder why there is
    continuing speculation on here from people like you.

    T Guest

  17. #17

    deryck lant <com> wrote:

    Thanks Deryk, that is exactly what I meant.

    T Guest

  18. #18

    "T P" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    the

    > Thanks Deryk, that is exactly what I meant.[/ref]

    Could you provide a link or some more info on this new virtually instant
    review feature please TP?

    Thanks

    Simon

    Simon Guest