Professional Web Applications Themes

New Nikon SLR's to use Nikon high speed image sensor - Photography

"Bart van der Wolf" <nl> wrote  > > ... who are "they"? ...[/ref] Those ones. Over there. You know, Them. Or, maybe it's These ones, over here. One can't be sure. They are everywhere. They could all be right here. Hiding in the woodpile. You never know, do you? -- -- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio netcom.com Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics....

  1. #21

    Default Re: New Nikon SLR's to use Nikon high speed image sensor

    "Bart van der Wolf" <nl> wrote

    > ... who are "they"? ...[/ref]

    Those ones. Over there. You know, Them. Or, maybe it's These ones,
    over here. One can't be sure. They are everywhere. They could
    all be right here. Hiding in the woodpile. You never know, do you?

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio netcom.com
    Nicholas Guest

  2. #22

    The message <com>
    from deryck lant <com> contains these words:

    D2H 4Meg, 8fps for 40 frames, 3,500 USD, 2.4 lbs and WiFi.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond2h/

    The D1X HiRes replacement and my AI lenses would live very happily
    together. Sigh . . .

    Deryck

    deryck Guest

  3. #23

    deryck lant <com> writes:

    And it even does matrix metering with AI lenses. Only
    the F4 and FA could do this up to now.

    Regards,
    Chris
    Christoph Guest

  4. #24

    The message <com>
    from deryck lant <com> contains these words:

     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    More

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD2H.shtml

    First Hands on:

    http://www.letsgodigital.be/webpages/firstlook/nikon/slr/D2H_UK1.html

    Deryck

    deryck Guest

  5. #25

    deryck lant writes:

    I guess matching film quality is less and less of a priority these days.
    Why does this not surprise me?

    Mxsmanic Guest

  6. #26

    The message <com>
    from Mxsmanic <com> contains these words:

     [/ref]

    A very low noise 4meg image from a large sensor delivered at 8fps for
    5 secs satisfies its intended market. The rest of us can hope that the
    D1X replacement (PMA?) will meet our expectations.

    That 17-55mm DX lens looks very nice . . .

    Olympus are going to find it difficult going with the 4/3 system at their
    entry prices.

    Deryck

    deryck Guest

  7. #27

    Christoph Breitkopf <de> wrote:

    Now *THAT'S* progress!!!!

    One small point; the F801 and F801s (N8808/N8008S) could also do it.

    ;-)

    T Guest

  8. #28

    deryck lant <com> wrote:

    Nonsense. The prices announced for the E1 body in the European market
    place it at the lowest cost for any pro body and very little higher
    than the consumer DSLRs that might have slightly more pixels, but just
    don't have the features that pros need.

    T Guest

  9. #29

    T P <com> writes:

    > One small point; the F801 and F801s (N8808/N8008S) could also do it.[/ref]

    No, they can't, since they don't know the absolute
    aperture. Look at the display, the matrix metering
    symbols starts to blink when a lens without CPU is used.

    Regadrs,
    Chris
    Christoph Guest

  10. #30

    John Miller wrote:

    > I wonder how much longer DSLRs are going to use flapping mirrors, when we
    > could be looking continuously at a video screen (through the same
    > viewfinder system).[/ref]

    Good point! I am also wondering about that.

    D2H is a very interesting device, especially because of
    the wireless image sender. I can imagine that someone might
    have a very large image wallet in the background and that
    the camera might reclaim free internal space as you shoot.

    Thomas

    ThomasH Guest

  11. #31

    "pioe(rmv)" wrote:

    > The main point is that the 4/3 system is a dead end. Even with the
    > best possible sensor of the Olympus size, a larger sensor will be
    > still better. To build a system around a smaller sensor is not the
    > best solution, no matter how well the lens/sensor combination is
    > optimized. The present challenges with sensors and lenses will be
    > solved by improvements of the sensors, whereas a sensor that is small
    > presents a design constraint that cannot ever be overcome.
    >
    > To create a whole system for a small-sensor concept was a very
    > unfortunate decision by Olympus. Instead they should have made a
    > digital OM camera compatible with existing Zuiko SLR lenses. They may
    > hope that photographers will embrace the 4/3 concept, but it is just
    > too limited.
    >
    > Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
    > http://www.coldsiberia.org/[/ref]

    Do you have a real down on Olympus or what ?.

    Once again, you regurgitate this tripe without a single shred of hard
    evidence in support of your argument. Have you actually seen or tried
    this camera ?...

    Chris
    Chris Guest

  12. #32

    pioe(rmv) wrote:

    While I personally yearn for a 10 Mpix, 36x24 sensor, the 18x13.5 of
    Olympus (at 3.5 x less surface, ouch) might be the answer for affordable
    DSLR's.

    It's hard to say what is the limit in number of pixels that they can
    cram onto that surface over time. And that is really the issue of
    importance... will the 4/3 ever get to 10 or more Mpix. That would
    require, eg, a 2800 x 3750 sensor with a pitch of 208.3 pixels/mm on the
    chip.

    Currently they are at a pitch of about 145 pix/mm, so the above does not
    seem so far fetched, does it?

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  13. #33

    "pioe(rmv)" <"pioe(rmv)"coldsiberia.org> wrote:

    You are welcome to your opinion. However, experience with the Contax
    N Digital and Canon DCS 14n appears to prove precisely the opposite.

    The Canon EOS 1Ds has taken a slightly different route, with two half
    frame sensors on a common wafer, which suggests that Canon couldn't
    make a full frame 24x36mm sensor work well either.

    Nikon have made a recent and widely publicised decision to remain with
    APS-sized sensors for pro DSLRs for the foreseeable future, whilst not
    entirely ruling out the possibility of a full size sensor for consumer
    grade DSLRs. I have heard no rumours about a full frame sensor for
    the D100 replacement (due Q2/2004) but who knows?

    Those who continually repeat the mantra that 'bigger sensors are
    always better' would do well to take note of the above facts, which
    suggest that the mantra may be fatally flawed. Not that it will stop
    anyone repeating it, over and over and over again!

    What really matters is not what mantra you choose to repeat, but what
    results you get. I am very pleased with the results from the 4 MP
    "4/3" sensor in my Olympus E-10 and have placed an order for an E-1
    for delivery in Q1/2004, just to see how good it is.

    T Guest

  14. #34

    Lies.

    You ordered nothing for yourself. Your boss in the camera store may have
    ordered it for some unfortunate customer and then told you to go and mop the
    kitchen and to stop eavesdropping on photographers conversations!

    What's it like to live in lala-land? Must be fascinating.

    --
    website: www.imageunlimited.co.za
    email: dallas at the above domain

    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    Dallas Guest

  15. #35

    Well, Nikon seems to be steaming dead ahead with its so-called inferior
    smaller sensor. And no one seems to be complaining about Canon's 10D
    either. Only one camera so far has come out with a "full-sized" sensor that
    hasn't drawn the wrath of this NG--the Canon. Kodak has problems and the
    Contax appears dead in the water. Meanwhile people keep buying the Nikons
    and Canons in droves. Sensor size is not the only thing to consider.
    Weight, cost, and ultimate performance factor in too. Everyone seems to be
    condemning Olympus to failure even before any tests. I hope they succeed.
    "pioe(rmv)" <"pioe(rmv)"coldsiberia.org> wrote in message
    > [/ref][/ref]
    their [/ref]

    > The main point is that the 4/3 system is a dead end. Even with the
    > best possible sensor of the Olympus size, a larger sensor will be
    > still better. To build a system around a smaller sensor is not the
    > best solution, no matter how well the lens/sensor combination is
    > optimized. The present challenges with sensors and lenses will be
    > solved by improvements of the sensors, whereas a sensor that is small
    > presents a design constraint that cannot ever be overcome.
    >
    > To create a whole system for a small-sensor concept was a very
    > unfortunate decision by Olympus. Instead they should have made a
    > digital OM camera compatible with existing Zuiko SLR lenses. They may
    > hope that photographers will embrace the 4/3 concept, but it is just
    > too limited.
    >
    > Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
    > http://www.coldsiberia.org/
    >
    >[/ref]

    Wes Guest

  16. #36

    Some time ago, I contacted Olympus and asked them straight out if greater
    resolution is possible with a 4/3 sized chip. They wrote back and said
    greater than 6MP is certainly a possibility. Interesting about all this we
    hear of the inferiority of smaller sensors--even before they're tested. I'm
    hoping the advantages (and there are optical as well as ergonomic
    advantages) will win out, and it will become a viable system.
    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    > You are welcome to your opinion. However, experience with the Contax
    > N Digital and Canon DCS 14n appears to prove precisely the opposite.
    >
    > The Canon EOS 1Ds has taken a slightly different route, with two half
    > frame sensors on a common wafer, which suggests that Canon couldn't
    > make a full frame 24x36mm sensor work well either.
    >
    > Nikon have made a recent and widely publicised decision to remain with
    > APS-sized sensors for pro DSLRs for the foreseeable future, whilst not
    > entirely ruling out the possibility of a full size sensor for consumer
    > grade DSLRs. I have heard no rumours about a full frame sensor for
    > the D100 replacement (due Q2/2004) but who knows?
    >
    > Those who continually repeat the mantra that 'bigger sensors are
    > always better' would do well to take note of the above facts, which
    > suggest that the mantra may be fatally flawed. Not that it will stop
    > anyone repeating it, over and over and over again!
    >
    > What really matters is not what mantra you choose to repeat, but what
    > results you get. I am very pleased with the results from the 4 MP
    > "4/3" sensor in my Olympus E-10 and have placed an order for an E-1
    > for delivery in Q1/2004, just to see how good it is.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Wes Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12