Professional Web Applications Themes

New Nikon SLR's to use Nikon high speed image sensor - Photography

[url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp[/url] Nikon this month begins production of 8fps 4 Meg image sensor to be released in new SLR's this autumn. The sports boys are going to be very happy. Deryck...

  1. #1

    Default New Nikon SLR's to use Nikon high speed image sensor

    [url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp[/url]

    Nikon this month begins production of 8fps 4 Meg image sensor to be
    released in
    new SLR's this autumn.

    The sports boys are going to be very happy.

    Deryck
    deryck lant Guest

  2. #2

    "deryck lant" <deryckderyck.com> wrote in message
    > [url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp[/url]
    >
    > Nikon this month begins production of 8fps 4 Meg image sensor to be
    > released in
    > new SLR's this autumn.
    >
    > The sports boys are going to be very happy.
    >
    > Deryck
    Any reason they chose 4 MP? I guess sports/press guys dont need much more
    than that for low quality newspaper/magazine reproduction?

    Tim O'Connor Guest

  3. #3

    The message <xAPRa.432312$cI2.65427news.easynews.com>
    from "Tim O'Connor" <tbospams.bigpond.net.au> contains these words:
    > "deryck lant" <deryckderyck.com> wrote in message
    > > [url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp[/url]
    > >
    > > Nikon this month begins production of 8fps 4 Meg image sensor to be
    > > released in
    > > new SLR's this autumn.
    > >
    > > The sports boys are going to be very happy.
    > >
    > > Deryck
    > Any reason they chose 4 MP? I guess sports/press guys dont need much more
    > than that for low quality newspaper/magazine reproduction?
    Larger than 4 Mp would slow the fps rate and reduce the number of frames
    stored in a given buffer.

    8 fps for say 5 secs will catch all the action and be a killer camera in
    sports
    and front line journalism.

    Nikon will not be able to make them quick enough.

    Deryck

    deryck lant Guest

  4. #4

    "deryck lant" <com> wrote in message
    > > Any reason they chose 4 MP? I guess sports/press guys dont need much[/ref][/ref]
    more

    > Larger than 4 Mp would slow the fps rate and reduce the number of frames
    > stored in a given buffer.
    >
    > 8 fps for say 5 secs will catch all the action and be a killer camera in
    > sports
    > and front line journalism.
    >
    > Nikon will not be able to make them quick enough.[/ref]

    Canon has been "quickly making" just such a machine for a couple years now
    (4.15MP at 8fps). Nikon's slow-and-steady approach to innovation is taking
    a toll on their bottom line in the digital arena (number 5 digital seller in
    the world...using sensors made by others...until this one), but at least
    they are getting back into decent competition in this sector.

    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    >>"deryck lant" <com> wrote [/ref]

    Probably got the idea from Canon by buying a 1D reverse engineering it? It has
    been the dSLR of choice for the sports boys for a couple years now and Nikon is
    finally catching on and catching up.
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    Duncan Ross wrote:

    I wonder how much longer DSLRs are going to use flapping mirrors, when we
    could be looking continuously at a video screen (through the same
    viewfinder system).

    --
    John Miller

    An actor's a guy who if you ain't talkin' about him, ain't listening.
    -Marlon Brando

    John Guest

  7. #7

    The message <w_RRa.9231$Bp2.6351fed1read07>
    from "Mark M" <net> contains these words:

     [/ref]
    > more
    > >
    > > Larger than 4 Mp would slow the fps rate and reduce the number of frames
    > > stored in a given buffer.
    > >
    > > 8 fps for say 5 secs will catch all the action and be a killer camera in
    > > sports
    > > and front line journalism.
    > >
    > > Nikon will not be able to make them quick enough.[/ref][/ref]

    The D1H has a 40 frame buffer at large/fine.
    The EOS-1D has a 20 frame buffer which takes 20 secs to clear so you could
    miss that next shot.

    The D2H will have an enormously large fast buffer.

    Yes its good to see Nikon back in contention.

    Deryck

    deryck Guest

  8. #8

    Bruce Murphy wrote:

    > You can have a video based viewfinder which has high enough resolution
    > to decen focussing with, or you can have colour. I very much doubt
    > you're going to get both. (c.f. video stuff)[/ref]

    I believe that's the case, today. I wonder how much longer it will be...

    --
    John Miller

    When a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far!

    John Guest

  9. #9

    >From: John Miller net
    >>
    >> You can have a video based viewfinder which has high enough resolution
    >> to decen focussing with, or you can have colour. I very much doubt
    >> you're going to get both. (c.f. video stuff)[/ref]
    >
    >I believe that's the case, today. I wonder how much longer it will be...
    >
    >--[/ref]

    Also top video equipment uses triple CCDs, a technique that among other things
    almost completely stops colour artefacting on fine monochrome patterns, will
    this ever come to digital cameras too?
    Duncan Guest

  10. #10

    deryck lant <com> wrote:

    This is exactly what I stated would be announced by
    Nikon in another thread on here. No doubt my critics
    from that thread will be as quick and ready to eat
    their words and apologise as they were to criticise.

    The camera body is the successor to the Nikon D1H.
    The model name/number of its successor is still a
    closely guarded secret, but most bets are on it
    being called the D2H.

    The successor to the D1X will use a different sensor
    with lower speed but more pixels. I have heard
    suggestions of between 8 and 12 megapixels, but my
    money is on something reasonably close to 10 - 11.

    ;-)

    T Guest

  11. #11

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    Doesn't look like they copied it. The review mentioned elsewhere says
    the sensor is completely new technology to get the speed and made by
    Nikon.

    Chris
    Chris Guest

  12. #12

    "Duncan Ross" <commercial> wrote in message
    SNIP> Also top video equipment uses triple CCDs, a technique that among
    other things
    will

    Unlikely, as the cost becomes prohibitive for the resolution needed in good
    still image cameras.

    Bart

    Bart Guest

  13. #13

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    Based on the cost of pro-level DSLRs, I can't imagine that being a problem.
    :-)

    --
    John Miller

    Variables don't; constants aren't.

    John Guest

  14. #14

    John Miller wrote:

    That would have been an extremely bad idea. Because it would mean that
    the sensor and color filter before it is exposed to light
    continuously. That would have significantly reduced the life span of
    these sensitive components. A color filter will inevitably fade if
    light is allowed to hit it all the time.

    I am very thankful that the sensor and AA-filter of my Canon 10D are
    only exposed to light during the actual image exposure.

    Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
    http://www.coldsiberia.org/

    pioe(rmv) Guest

  15. #15

    John Miller writes:

    For as long as photographers want to see sharp images in the viewfinder.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  16. #16

    Bart van der Wolf writes:

    That's what they said in the beginning for video cameras, too.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  17. #17

    John Miller writes:

    They use three CCDs with dichroic prisms that do not fade. The cheaper
    video cameras with matrix filters will fade eventually (sometimes
    rapidly, if exposed to very strong light, such as direct sunlight).

    Mxsmanic Guest

  18. #18

    "T P" <com> wrote in message
    Kudos to you Tony!

    [snip]
    I wonder if they will use a derivation of their new CMOS chip or just go
    with a nosier Sony CCD? (such
    as a larger version of what is in the D100?)

    Tim Guest

  19. #19

    "Mxsmanic" <com> wrote in message

    > That's what they said in the beginning for video cameras, too.[/ref]

    I don't know who "they" are, but "they" apparently forgot that Video is more
    limited in resolution and bandwidth than still image camera's.
    Besides, Video is not really the topic of this photo.equipment.35mm news
    group.

    Bart

    Bart Guest

  20. #20

    And *your* posts might be more relevant in alt.records.stuck.

    --
    website: www.imageunlimited.co.za
    email: dallas at the above domain

    > This might be more relevant in rec.photo.digital.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.[/ref]

    Dallas Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast