Professional Web Applications Themes

New OS X Programmer - Mac Programming

Hey all. I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and a interested in learning macos programming. I know a bit of c, and a bi of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php. From what i'v heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best wa for beginners.... Can anyone point me in the direction of any goo resources such as books or websites for me to start with? Like i sai i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all. Thanks in advance - iva ...

  1. #1

    Default New OS X Programmer

    Hey all. I just purchased a powerbook a couple weeks ago, and a
    interested in learning macos programming. I know a bit of c, and a bi
    of java, as well as some other stuff like perl and php. From what i'v
    heard, most people seem to think Cocoa with objective c is the best wa
    for beginners.... Can anyone point me in the direction of any goo
    resources such as books or websites for me to start with? Like i sai
    i know C very superficially and know objective c almost none at all.
    Thanks in advance
    -
    iva

    ivai Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New OS X Programmer

    ivai wrote:

    I, and I suspect many others (and I'm just starting to learn Cocoa as
    well) would recommend the Hillegass book (Cocoa: Programming for OS X).
    Superb introduction to Mac programming with Cocoa/Objective C. Get the
    second edition if you have panther.
    G Guest

  3. #3

    In article <uk.clara.net>,
    G <0.0.1> wrote:

    > I, and I suspect many others (and I'm just starting to learn Cocoa as
    > well) would recommend the Hillegass book (Cocoa: Programming for OS X).
    > Superb introduction to Mac programming with Cocoa/Objective C. Get the
    > second edition if you have panther.[/ref]

    Get to know C more than superficially. A copy of The C Programming
    Language belongs on every C programmer's shelf.

    Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
    they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
    "standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses. - Jeremy Nixon
    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    Gregory Weston wrote:

    Oh yes. K&R if you don't know C certainly. Although I've just started
    with Cocoa, I had a solid C/Posix background.
    G Guest

  5. #5

    Have a try with 'Cocoa-Java' (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mpergand/
    -
    mpergan

    mpergand Guest

  6. #6

    ivai wrote:

    What you need to get started is right on your system,
    assuming you've installed the Development package under
    /Applications/Installers.

    Once you've done that, look at
    /Developer/Doentation/Cocoa/CocoaTopics.html

    to find a link to an Obj-C tutorial and references.

    If you need more to get started, like "how do I use project builder (or Xcode)",
    then a commercial book comes in handy. I chose "Building Cocoa Applications"
    by Garfinkel/Mahoney to get me started, and I'll get the 2nd edition Hillegass book soon.

    Good luck!

    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    Dear Ivai,

    One site I've found quite useful is www.programmersheaven.com it has forums
    plus other bits and pieces as well. You can find information on almost any
    platform from Atari 8-bits through to Macs and Linux. Also it covers what
    seems like and endless list of languages and tools from Revolution through
    to Python and C. If the forums are a little quiet leave a post and you'll
    usually get a reply. The site also has links to many other places you may
    find useful. Programmersheaven.com isn't mac specific but is usually good
    for finding out general information programming languages and platforms.

    Other useful sites include:

    www.builder.com (most platforms and languages)
    www.revjournal.com (if you are a Revolution user)
    www.python.org (The home of Python)
    www.macscripter.net (Applescript site)
    groups. (an endless list of programming and platform related
    groups)

    Hope this helps.

    Best,

    Rod

    --
    Dr Rod McCall
    Runtime Revolution Ltd

  8. #8

    On 2004-07-01 03:57:52 -0400, ivai <codecomments.com> said:

    I am currently reading the infamous "Hillegass book" and I find it to
    be perhaps the best book on the topic of programming I have ever had
    the pleasure to read.

    The Book: Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X
    The Author: Aaron Hillegass
    The Price: doesn't matter, you need this book!

    GL

    --
    Thomas Leonard
    <com>

    Thomas Guest

  9. #9

    In article <2004071223344970231%tleonardbridgewedu>,
    Thomas Leonard <edu> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Make certain to get the 2nd edition.

    --
    PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
    PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

    Windows has always aspired to be Mac-like without Microsoft ever really
    understanding what that even means. - Robert Cringely
    Joe Guest

  10. #10

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    Joe Shimkus <com> wrote:

    > Make certain to get the 2nd edition.[/ref]

    Not that the first edition wasn't good or anything, it's still great,
    but the second edition covers some new stuff introduced with 10.3, and
    it also contains descriptions for xCode, which works different enough
    from the old Project Builder of the 1st Ed. to throw you off.

    If you've already worked with PB and xCode and have no problems moving
    between them, you can probably live with the 1st Edition if you get a
    cheap price. But for a beginner having a current book is definitely
    better. It'll save you some headaches.

    Cheers,
    -- Uli
    http://www.zathras.de