Professional Web Applications Themes

New OS X user - 3 questions - Mac Applications & Software

"Patrick Mills" <netcom.com> writes:   Setting DISPLAY in .cshrc is not a good idea. If you use ssh -X to connect to X-Windows clients on another server, the .cshrc environmental variable will override the other systems effort to reset the DISPLAY. Try setting your DISPLAY in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist -- the proper place for system-wide environment variables -- or in ~/.xinitrc. -- Ronald Florence www.18james.com...

  1. #1

    Default Re: New OS X user - 3 questions

    --

    Ronald Florence www.18james.com
    Ronald Guest

  2. #2

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:16:31 -0400, Ronald Florence wrote:

    > Setting DISPLAY in .cshrc is not a good idea. If you use ssh -X to
    > connect to X-Windows clients on another server, the .cshrc
    > environmental variable will override the other systems effort to reset
    > the DISPLAY. Try setting your DISPLAY in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
    > -- the proper place for system-wide environment variables -- or in
    > ~/.xinitrc.[/ref]

    Ok, Thanks for your advice, and I will place the DISPLAY setting in the
    environment.plist file. I'm trying to set this up so that I can run x
    apps from the Terminal window, rather than an xterm. I thought .xinitrc
    was only processed by the xterm program...

    I'm *still* very curious about why the position of the command in the
    ..tshrc file determines whether the setenv command succeeds or fails,
    though.

    PLM

    Patrick Guest

  3. #3

    In article <netcom.com>,
    "Patrick Mills" <netcom.com> wrote:

    Are you sure there was a newline character after the last entry in the
    original file?

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:51:43 -0400, Tom Stiller wrote:

    Ah - that must have been it. I just switched the commands back, made sure
    I had a NL after the last command, and everything works spiffy.

    Thanks - mystery solved!

    PLM

    Patrick Guest

  5. #5

    On 7/29/03 2:21 PM, in article netcom.com,
    "Patrick Mills" <netcom.com> wrote:

    Patrick,

    Are you fairly new to UNIX (or just forgot, like I do a lot of times ;-)
    )? Usually when you string commands like this together you isolate it in
    single quotes (not always required, but helps make sure what you want run
    properly), that lets the pr know where to stop and start the aliased
    command properly. Try this, worked for me:

    alias te 'open -a TextEdit.app'
    setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0

    Set the alias and the DISPLAY variable properly, does not matter the order,
    but it does matter that you isolate the commands you want in the alias
    command. However, I do agree with the previous poster that you should NOT
    set the DISPLAY variable like that in a cshrc file.

    Jason

    --
    To respond to me remove the noway and nospam in my address.
    Jason Pickard

    Jason Guest

  6. #6

    Is there a really good reason to need to do this kind of stuff? I mean,
    why have a GUI if you don't use it?

    Are you saying that there is no equivalent way to get your job done
    without Terminal? Or are you just used to unix and like to play?

    No troll here, I'm seriously asking.

    m-m

    In article <18james.com>,
    Ronald Florence <com> wrote:

    > Setting DISPLAY in .cshrc is not a good idea. If you use ssh -X to
    > connect to X-Windows clients on another server, the .cshrc
    > environmental variable will override the other systems effort to reset
    > the DISPLAY. Try setting your DISPLAY in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
    > -- the proper place for system-wide environment variables -- or in
    > ~/.xinitrc.[/ref]
    M-M Guest

  7. #7

    In article <QeQVa.355$newsread.com>,
    M-M <more> wrote:

    There's more than one way to do things. Especially to those with some
    Unix experience, Mac OS X is a fantastic synthesis of the GUI and the
    command line. Both are powerful in their own way.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  8. #8

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:03:28 +0000, M-M wrote:

    No problem. I'm happy to discuss my reasons.

    I have recently switched to the Mac OS X platform due to growing boredom
    and disgust with Microsoft's directions on the desktop. Don't get me
    wrong - I have a nice Windows XP machine I intend to keep, and use W2K at
    work with no problems or complaints. I just wanted to have "fun" with
    computers again (I'm probably older than you - I cut my computer teeth on
    punchcards, moved to an IBM Mainframe 3270 terminal interface, then spent
    many years on mini-computers and ASCII terminals, before using DOS and then
    every version of Windows from 3.0 on), and I'm just bored with the Windows
    world.

    So, when I looked at what seemed "fun" to me, I found that I really liked
    the innovative Apple hardware (just bought a new Powerbook G4 17") and the
    whole idea of a stable version of Unix topped off with a world-class GUI,
    Apple-style.

    I'm using the GUI, but also really having "fun" (ala reliving the "good
    old days" of command-line computer use) learning Unix, including bringing
    up a working version of X-Windows right on the Mac's desktop. My question
    related to a desire to run the graphical X-Windows applications from the
    built-in, easily customizable Terminal app (love those transparent
    windows) rather than the ugly xterm program.

    I haven't enjoyed computers this much since 1982.

    PLM

    Patrick Guest

  9. #9

    > Usually when you string commands like this together you isolate it in

    Actually it can be any character that doesn't have special meaning, eg,

    alias te %open -a TextEdit.app%

    should work too.

    Check with a real guru though.
    Kiran Guest

  10. #10

    In article <netcom.com>,
    "Patrick Mills" <netcom.com> wrote:

    Why 1982?

    By the way, for me, 1982 was when I took my first computer graphics
    course. We got to use the EE departments brand new HP 9000. The HP
    9000 was my introduction to... Unix.

    KP

    --
    Remove _me_ for e-mail address
    Ken Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:13:03 -0700, Ken Prager wrote:

    Oh, it's just when I left the IBM Mainframe world for ASCII-based
    mini-computers. Was previously doing Cobol/VSAM/CICS stuff (awful) and
    got to switch to a Prime minicomputer, which I considered very fun at the
    time.

    PLM
    Patrick Guest

  12. #12

    In article <netcom.com>,
    "Patrick Mills" <netcom.com> wrote:

    Did you load Apple's own X11 implementation or a different one ?

    Simon Guest

  13. #13

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:13:33 +0100, slavin wrote:

    > Did you load Apple's own X11 implementation or a different one ?[/ref]

    I first tried the XDarwin release, since it had the ability to run full
    screen or "rootless" within the standard desktop.

    I didn't find it very stable, and couldn't get the full screen to work at
    all under 10.2.6. Also had problems getting a window manager to load, and
    was stuck with plain x-windows with no window manager.

    So I uninstalled that and moved to Apple's X11 and have been very
    satisfied with it, so far.

    PLM
    Patrick Guest