Professional Web Applications Themes

New packages - Debian

Hi all, I've found a rather useful little app that doesn't appear to be in the distribution yet. How can I go about getting it in there? I have looked through the Debian policy page, but couldn't find what I was looking for. The other thing is that clearly it would need to go into unstable first? And I run Woody all the way. Does this mean that someone else would need to maintain the package? Antony -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default New packages

    Hi all,

    I've found a rather useful little app that doesn't appear to be in the
    distribution yet. How can I go about getting it in there? I have
    looked through the Debian policy page, but couldn't find what I was
    looking for.

    The other thing is that clearly it would need to go into unstable first?
    And I run Woody all the way. Does this mean that someone else would
    need to maintain the package?

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New packages

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:08:59AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > I've found a rather useful little app that doesn't appear to be in the
    > distribution yet. How can I go about getting it in there? I have
    > looked through the Debian policy page, but couldn't find what I was
    > looking for.
    [url]http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp[/url]

    (The information there is mainly written for a developer audience, so
    you might need to read the doentation on the bug tracking system
    first.)
    > The other thing is that clearly it would need to go into unstable
    > first?
    Yes.
    > And I run Woody all the way. Does this mean that someone else would
    > need to maintain the package?
    Probably, although I'm not sure how that follows from your previous
    statement. If it were just a matter of getting the thing built for
    upload, you could build an unstable chroot to do that. For installing it
    on your system, as long as the package doesn't use bleeding-edge build
    system features (none of mine do, last time I checked), you could
    backport it fairly easily to woody.

    Certainly, if you're keen, you'd be welcome to apply to join the project
    and do it yourself. However, that takes some time and implies a level of
    long-term commitment, so if it's just a matter of getting this one
    program packaged it would be easier to file an RFP and see if any
    existing developers are interested in picking up the package.

    Cheers,

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatsonflatline.org.uk]

    Colin Watson Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:43:05AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:45:22AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
    > > Certainly, if you're keen, you'd be welcome to apply to join the project
    > > and do it yourself. However, that takes some time and implies a level of
    > > long-term commitment, so if it's just a matter of getting this one
    > > program packaged it would be easier to file an RFP and see if any
    > > existing developers are interested in picking up the package.
    >
    > It was requested way back in the mists of time:
    > [url]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=88603[/url]
    > But:
    > > The person who originately filed this ITP, doesn't seem to have
    > > any interest in it anymore. Therefore, I'm retitling it to an
    > > RFP. If anyone is interested in packaging this software, feel
    > > free to take it.
    >
    > I am happy to join the project and do it myself. Do I need to submit
    > a new ITP?
    Don't file a new bug, but retitle the existing one to an ITP. You can
    look for a sponsor on the debian-mentors list.

    Cheers,

  4. #4

    Paul Johnson Guest