Professional Web Applications Themes

New Partitions - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

On 14 Aug 2003 04:06:36 GMT, Kissi5559 wrote: > Hello Folks, > I am new to linux and about to install linux for the first time. I > have 18Gig hard drive which is set as logical because I have another > hard drive as primary with Win2K installed. I also have 256M of > memory. Can any one please help with recommendations or suggestions > as to what partitions to have and the sizes? Is it OK to leave the > drive this drive as a logical drive? You can set the drive as extented and have both dos ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: New Partitions

    On 14 Aug 2003 04:06:36 GMT, Kissi5559 wrote:
    > Hello Folks,
    > I am new to linux and about to install linux for the first time. I
    > have 18Gig hard drive which is set as logical because I have another
    > hard drive as primary with Win2K installed. I also have 256M of
    > memory. Can any one please help with recommendations or suggestions
    > as to what partitions to have and the sizes? Is it OK to leave the
    > drive this drive as a logical drive?
    You can set the drive as extented and have both dos and linux
    partitions.

    When you install, you have to pick a free space, (untyped /
    unformated) place where the linux partitions will be created.

    Some light reading found at
    [url]http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/91/en/Quick_Startup.html/[/url]

    Bit Twister Guest

  2. #2

    Kissi5559 wrote:
    > Hello Folks,
    > I am new to linux and about to install linux for the first time. I have 18Gig
    > hard drive which is set as logical because I have another hard drive as primary
    > with Win2K installed. I also have 256M of memory. Can any one please help with
    > recommendations or suggestions as to what partitions to have and the sizes?
    > Is it OK to leave the drive this drive as a logical drive?
    > Thanks.
    Ohh. You've entered a religious discussion.

    Some Linux OS's releases used to use an older version of LILO, where the
    partition with the boot kernel and other widgets could not be past
    cylinder 1023 at all, and some BIOS's had similar limits. Newer versions
    of LILO and GRUB boat loaders in particular no longer have this limit,
    so you no longer have to create a small, separate "/boot" partition to
    put the rest of the drive on a larger partition, but it's popular and
    won't hurt you with a big drive available.

    Second, swap space. Swap has had all sorts of weird requirements over
    the years, but I'd say these days make it as big or bigger than your
    RAM, and if you're going to build really, really big stuff and need lots
    of swap space, buy more RAM first. But in your case, a Gig of swap would
    be very generous.

    Third, breaking up / into multiple partitions. Don't unless you have to.
    Sure, you can try to outguess the size of various requirements for the
    future and tune it all to fit your needs *just right*. But since backing
    up no longer requires separate partitions and hasn't since "dump" went
    out of fashion and "tar" got smarter, just don't bother splitting it up
    unless you want to set a special partition for special file systems,
    playing with custom software, writing stuff on FAT32 for sharing with
    your Windows OS, etc.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    Kissi5559 on Wednesday 13 August 2003 21:06 wrote:
    > Hello Folks,
    > I am new to linux and about to install linux for the first time. I
    > have 18Gig hard drive which is set as logical because I have another
    > hard drive as primary with Win2K installed. I also have 256M of
    > memory. Can any one please help with recommendations or suggestions
    > as to what partitions to have and the sizes? Is it OK to leave the
    > drive this drive as a logical drive? Thanks.
    Do what I did on my first Linux install: Let the installer do the
    partitioning. However, since you have W2k on the C: drive, you can't
    pick the default "mostly automatic" Linux install. You'll have to
    pick the mode where you get to tell the installer WHERE to install.
    Basically, what you'll get is swap, / (pronounced 'root') and /home.
    And that's good enough for starters.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    [email]tootek2[/email]

  4. #4

    I love this question.

    I have been bitten before on Solaris at work by allowing the "DEFAULT"
    install when installing the OS.

    This is what I do.

    I am the type of person that works in the preventative mode. So, I never do
    a default install with most software (Apache, MySQL, openssl, etc) since you
    are new, you should be taught the correct way (in my mind)

    There are some file systems that you should note:

    / (root)
    /boot
    /var -- holds log files about the system's activity
    /usr -- for runtime programs (/usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/src, etc)
    /opt -- I usually install programs here
    /home -- for users on the system (home directories)
    /tmp -- tmp gets its own filesystem because I do a lot of compiling, etc and
    when the system boots tmp doesn't get cleared out

    The DEFAULT install of Linux puts everything under / (root). NOT good. If
    your filesystem fills up (small hard drive) then it is very difficult to get
    the system back up and running. And from above /tmp gets cleared upon
    booting the system.

    This is what i usually do (20 GB hard drive)

    /:500MB -- 1024MB
    /var: 2048 MB
    /usr: 8GB -- 10GB
    /opt: What ever is left
    /tmp: 2048MB
    swap: 2-3 times your total system RAM (256MB RAM) I create a 512MB swap
    file.

    -George

    "Kissi5559" <kissi5559aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Folks,
    > I am new to linux and about to install linux for the first time. I have
    18Gig
    > hard drive which is set as logical because I have another hard drive as
    primary
    > with Win2K installed. I also have 256M of memory. Can any one please help
    with
    > recommendations or suggestions as to what partitions to have and the
    sizes?
    > Is it OK to leave the drive this drive as a logical drive?
    > Thanks.

    Wolanin, George Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:47:00 -0400, Wolanin, George <gwolanincolumbus.rr.com> wrote:

    > I love this question.

    WHAT Question? This isn't a chatroom, it is Usenet. Not everyone is following
    each thread in realtime and knows what the person you are responding to posted.

    Ah. What they said is at the BOTTOM of your post.

    So anyone who wants to figure out just what the hell you are talking about
    has to go to the bottom of the post, read it, then come back to the top
    and try to make sense of the whole mess and probably have to refer back to the
    bottom several times.

    Please go back to grade school and learn how to use an editor and take a
    basic communications class.

    I for one cannot be bothered to read the posts of someone who doesn't care to
    communicate but is rather posting to himself.

    Alan C

    Alan Connor Guest