Professional Web Applications Themes

New Physic Engine - User Review - Macromedia Director 3D

Well unfortunately this has not been the greatest last 2 days I've had. I have been testing out the new Physics engine in Director 11. In Havok you had havok.makeMovableRigidBody(modelName, mass, isConvex) isConvex was very important for me because I have different games that have to have a rigidbody either in another or attached to it with a spring. In this new Physics engine when you tell it: TestRB = PhysicsWorld.createRigidBody("testrb","test", #convexShape, #dynamic) The rigidbody is more like a square. To test it out and make sure I wasn't doing something wrong I did the following: Create a Tube with ...

  1. #1

    Default New Physic Engine - User Review

    Well unfortunately this has not been the greatest last 2 days I've had.

    I have been testing out the new Physics engine in Director 11.
    In Havok you had
    havok.makeMovableRigidBody(modelName, mass, isConvex)
    isConvex was very important for me because I have different games that have to
    have a rigidbody either in another or attached to it with a spring. In this new
    Physics engine when you tell it:
    TestRB = PhysicsWorld.createRigidBody("testrb","test", #convexShape, #dynamic)

    The rigidbody is more like a square. To test it out and make sure I wasn't
    doing something wrong I did the following:

    Create a Tube with a Cylinder in it. Now in Havok I would just need to make
    them both Convex Rigidbodies and the cylider would roll in the tube. With the
    new Physics engine no matter how big I make the Tube and how small I make the
    Cylinder it flips out and goes crazy because it thinks it is in the rigidbody.

    The next thing I tried was springs and a linear joint. Well I don't know if I
    tested it enough because for some reason after trying it once and reseting the
    world and telling the physic object to destroy the rigidbodies never move
    again. I have to restart Director for the rigidbodies to start responding
    again, even though I delete all the spring and joints in my script and reset
    everything. So from what I noticed with both items is no matter what POINTA and
    POINTB are they just stay stuck together...

    So that is my brief first impressions of Director 11's new Physics engine. I
    guess Ill have to stick with Havok which s because it is not compatible
    with all the systems now.

    KingDruid Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Physic Engine - User Review

    Or maybe we just need more doentation for the physics engine?
    This is kinda disappointing we don't get any DX9 features and the physics engine doesn't work the way it should...

    Comments?
    KingDruid Guest

  3. #3

    1)A convex body by definition is not a hollow object and therefore cannot have
    another rigid body within it. In the Director help it says Physics does not
    support this.

    2) Also it is mentioned in the Physics doentation that the 3D scene should
    not be reset (using ResetWorld()) in between init() and destroy() methods on
    the Physics scene. This will cause undefined behavior.

    SujaiS Guest

  4. #4

    1. So your saying we lost something that Havok supported.

    2. FYI: The entire scene was destroyed resetworld before being re-initialized
    KingDruid Guest

  5. #5

    Can you provide me a sample code snippet for the issue you face with joints. I did not get this issue with joints.
    SujaiS Guest