Professional Web Applications Themes

New Start-up error - Mac Applications & Software

I put in my Disk Warrior disk and selected it as the start up disk, intending to check and possibly re-do my directory. I am running X.2.6 and classic as 9.2.2 on an iMac. After choosing the DW disk as the start up disk, I hit restart. Everything shut down as expected, but on the re-start, the disk drive spun up for about three seconds and quit. Then I got a flashing icon I have never seen nor heard of. It was square, grey colored and contained a circular "map" the continents of the western hemisphere in blue. It continued ...

  1. #1

    Default New Start-up error

    I put in my Disk Warrior disk and selected it as the start up disk,
    intending to check and possibly re-do my directory. I am running X.2.6
    and classic as 9.2.2 on an iMac.

    After choosing the DW disk as the start up disk, I hit restart.

    Everything shut down as expected, but on the re-start, the disk drive
    spun up for about three seconds and quit. Then I got a flashing icon I
    have never seen nor heard of. It was square, grey colored and
    contained a circular "map" the continents of the western hemisphere in
    blue. It continued flashing for about a minute (I hoped that the DW
    disk would start the machine.

    I hit the on/off button, but on re-start, the DW disk was ejected and
    the flashing icon started again.

    I tried a Norton disk using the press "C" trick, but still got the
    flashing icon.

    I was finally able to re-start from an OS X install disk and choose the
    internal drive with OS X.2.6 on it and it then started up per usual.

    Has anyone ever seen this icon? If so, any info on what it means.

    Thank you
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Start-up error

    >Then I got a flashing icon I

    This is the "Looking for a Net Boot Server running MacOS X Server" icon. It
    happens if you instruct your computer to boot from a network volume.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > This is the "Looking for a Net Boot Server running MacOS X Server" icon. It
    > happens if you instruct your computer to boot from a network volume.[/ref]

    Did not do that. specifically selected the Disk Warrior disk for the
    start up.
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  4. #4

    >Did not do that. specifically selected the Disk Warrior disk for the

    The DiskWarior CD uses some very weird deep voodoo when it boots; it has
    multiple systems for multiple different machines.

    Something in its deep voodoo probably went off the rails, causing your computer
    to search for a Net Boot server. I'd suggest talking to Alsoft's tech support,
    as they'd probably be quite interested to hear about this.

  5. #5

    My question would be why do it the way you did it? Why not just reboot the
    machine while holding down the "C" key and have the DW cd boot up normally,
    instead of making it the startup disk. The fact that you got the network
    boot up not found icon does not surprise me at all, most UNIX flavors will
    automatically look for a network boot location if it can't find the local
    machine boot location. Then finally after the OS can't find anything to boot
    from give up. Glad that you got it working again.

    Jason

    On 8/21/03 6:57 PM, in article pdx.net,
    "world" <world> wrote:

    --
    To respond to me remove the noway and nospam in my address.
    Jason Pickard

    Jason Guest