Professional Web Applications Themes

New Student to Java wants to use Mac... - Mac Applications & Software

I'm about to start a beginning Java class, and I've never used it before (I did Pascal and C++ years ago). I have MacOS X 10.2. I've been briefly going through the Sun and Apple developer pages, but haven't found the truly basic instructions yet. 1. What's a good basic development package? 2. How do I get started with it? Thanks for any help......

  1. #1

    Default New Student to Java wants to use Mac...

    I'm about to start a beginning Java class, and I've never used it
    before (I did Pascal and C++ years ago).

    I have MacOS X 10.2. I've been briefly going through the Sun and Apple
    developer pages, but haven't found the truly basic instructions yet.

    1. What's a good basic development package?

    2. How do I get started with it?

    Thanks for any help...
    halliday Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Student to Java wants to use Mac...

    In article <060820032108581949%net>,
    halliday <net> wrote:

    Project Builder reportedly isn't all that great for Java, but I've made
    significant use of it. It was easier to figure out than Sun One Studio
    or NetBeans. But those two (actually one and the same) have features
    that PB lacks. There's also Borland's products. The personal version
    is free.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Aviation software for Mac OS X!

  3. #3

    In article <060820032108581949%net>,
    halliday <net> wrote:

    Eclipse isn't too bad. It has one of the less gizmo cluttered IDEs that
    I've seen. My gripe is that the keyboard shortcuts aren't consistent
    and it seems to have a never ending supply of small quirks. Eclipse
    speeds coding by offering several convient ways to locate class
    declarations.

    Apple's Project Builder has a familiar GUI but the damn thing is a
    nightmare to work with. Project settings are scattered deep down where
    you'll never find them. Many settings are redundant yet not linked
    together so you'll get odd behavior until you track down all places they
    exist and make them match exactly. Dependancy tracking is broken in
    every way possible so a clean build is almost always required. Change a
    class name and you've pretty much trashed your project. Java class
    definition browsing doesn't seem to work.

    CodeWarrior has the easiest to use IDE but the product line has been
    historically plagued with crippling bugs that don't get fixed before the
    product becomes obsolete. That's inexcusable for a $599 compiler. An
    extortion fee of $199 improves the odds that they'll fix the broken
    features you require.

    I'm curious about Panther's IDE, Xcode. It's supposed to be a major
    improvement over Project Builder. There's no downloadable preview yet.

    Borland's IDE is supposed to be nice but I can't accept their privacy
    policy. Disclosing your personal marketing information is required for
    download.
    Kevin Guest

  4. #4

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Larry Fransson <net> wrote:

    >Project Builder reportedly isn't all that great for Java, but I've made
    >significant use of it. It was easier to figure out than Sun One Studio
    >or NetBeans. But those two (actually one and the same) have features
    >that PB lacks. There's also Borland's products. The personal version
    >is free.[/ref]

    NetBeans looks like the pit of a 747 airplane, but without the
    instrument labels. I've been a Java developer since 1997 and I couldn't
    figure it out.
    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <060820032108581949%net>, halliday wrote:

    I do java development professionally in osx. I use carbon emacs and
    make (and once in a very great while, jdb). It's highly effecient and
    effective, and it's as platform-independent as java is (even in
    Windows, given cygwin).

    tristero Guest

  6. #6

    In article <sonic.net>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <net> wrote:

    :> In article <attbi.com>,
    :> Larry Fransson <net> wrote:
    :>
    :> >In article <060820032108581949%net>,
    :> > halliday <net> wrote:
    :> >
    :> >> 1. What's a good basic development package?
    :> >
    :> >Project Builder reportedly isn't all that great for Java, but I've made
    :> >significant use of it. It was easier to figure out than Sun One Studio
    :> >or NetBeans. But those two (actually one and the same) have features
    :> >that PB lacks. There's also Borland's products. The personal version
    :> >is free.
    :>
    :> NetBeans looks like the pit of a 747 airplane, but without the
    :> instrument labels. I've been a Java developer since 1997 and I couldn't
    :> figure it out.

    As far as I'm concerned, somebody just learning Java should skip the IDE
    crap to begin with. If you want to understand both the language and how
    to use the language to build a GUI (particularly with Swing), just get a
    good text editor you like (preferably one that does syntax coloring) and
    learn the commands for compiling and running via Terminal.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  7. #7

    In article <OhsYa.87264$uu5.12384sccrnsc04>,
    tristero <net> wrote:

    :> In article <060820032108581949%net>, halliday wrote:
    :> > I have MacOS X 10.2. I've been briefly going through the Sun and Apple
    :> > developer pages, but haven't found the truly basic instructions yet.
    :> >
    :> > 1. What's a good basic development package?
    :>
    :>
    :> I do java development professionally in osx. I use carbon emacs and
    :> make (and once in a very great while, jdb). It's highly effecient and
    :> effective, and it's as platform-independent as java is (even in
    :> Windows, given cygwin).

    Except for the emacs part, that's how I'd do it. In my "day job", I do
    Java and have to work on XP, but I don't use an IDE. Just good old
    GVim, a batch file for compiles, and another batch file for running the
    app. I've made a strong point of keeping it platform-independent and
    even do some testing on my Powerbook.

    But why not ant? :-)

    = Steve =
    --