Professional Web Applications Themes

New to InDesign - Placing PSD Image - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hello. :) I'm new to using InDesign and in the past had used Photoshop to create most of my posters, brochures, etc. I am now trying to learn InDesign so that I am more compatible with print companies requests, etc. I am creating a CD Jacket. I have a template from the printer for InDesign. I load Open the template and use the PLACE control to insert a PSD image file I'm working with. When the image loads it is the wrong size, so I have figured out I need to FIT it, etc. However, from the moment I PLACE ...

  1. #1

    Default New to InDesign - Placing PSD Image

    Hello. :) I'm new to using InDesign and in the past had used Photoshop to create most of my posters, brochures, etc. I am now trying to learn InDesign so that I am more compatible with print companies requests, etc.

    I am creating a CD Jacket. I have a template from the printer for InDesign. I load Open the template and use the PLACE control to insert a PSD image file I'm working with. When the image loads it is the wrong size, so I have figured out I need to FIT it, etc. However, from the moment I PLACE the image it looks distorted, though it prints accurately. Is this typical?

    Should I do something differently?

    Thanks.
    Lori_Donovan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New to InDesign - Placing PSD Image

    With no doent open, go to Preference>Display Performance and set preview to high. That should help image display better.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    By distorted I presume you mean the horizontal vs. vertical ratio. In that case press A, click on the image, check the scale x & y percentages. If they are not the same than you have selected fit content to frame instead of fit frame proportionately.

    Doesn't explain why the print fine though.

    Grant
    Grant_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    With no doent open, go to Preference>Display Performance and set preview
    to high. That should help image display better.

    ....and slow you down to a crawl.

    Better to use the view menu setting occasionally, or Object>view performance on an object by object basis.

    I can't imagine that the images are anamorphically scaled "from the moment she PLACES" the image (and if they were they would print that way to), so I will guess she is talking about display resolution.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Personally, I work the other way around. Have High Quality display on by default and occasionally override at the object level if indeed the performance does become unacceptable; doesn't happen very often, but it does depend on the mix of work you're doing.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    New to InDesign - not to Graphic Design??? 'cause distortion and display resolution are two very different things. If a "Very Large" image is placed into a small frame how is Lori going to tell whether or not the image is distorted without "fitting" it. (besides click and hold and if the pasteboard is large enough)? Hence my train-of-thought. I missed the - from the moment I place it – though.
    Grant_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    command-option-shift-E will size image proportionally within a frame area. Fitting to frame will always cause an image to stretch disproportionately.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Fitting to frame will always cause an image to stretch disproportionately

    Hence my first reply

    Grant_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    ....yes but if you take Lori at her word, she is seeing this "distortion" from the moment she places the image, not after she has placed it and executed some fitting command.

    And as Grant suggested if she did fit to frame it certainly would not printout unstretched.

    Until Lori returns to clarify, it is pure conjecture.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest