Professional Web Applications Themes

New to InDesign, Placing PSD's - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I know that it's preferred to use InDesign to place text on projects, but while I'm still in the process of learning I have a few files I have to PLACE in an InDesign template from Photoshop. I noticed that when I place them they look warped/blurry, etc., but that when I print them they look fine. Will they look fine when I send them to a professional printer as well? I'm concerned about the text. I don't have time with the current project to redo the text in InDesign... but hope to with future projects. Your help/suggestions are much ...

  1. #1

    Default New to InDesign, Placing PSD's

    I know that it's preferred to use InDesign to place text on projects, but while I'm still in the process of learning I have a few files I have to PLACE in an InDesign template from Photoshop. I noticed that when I place them they look warped/blurry, etc., but that when I print them they look fine. Will they look fine when I send them to a professional printer as well? I'm concerned about the text. I don't have time with the current project to redo the text in InDesign... but hope to with future projects.

    Your help/suggestions are much appreciated -- but please keep in mind that due to time constraints learning how to place text using InDesign is not an option at this time. I need to learn how to do that and do it "dynamically" after this project is printed.

    Many thanks!

    Lori
    Lori_Donovan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New to InDesign, Placing PSD's

    Your view setting is probably on "Typical". Go to the View Menu, select "Display Performance" and use "High Quality Display".
    Jennifer Guest

  3. #3

    If vector, editable text appears in your Photoshop doents, do not save as PSD. PSD text is placed in InDesign as bitmap art. To retain the crisp vectors of the text, save your art as PDF or PDP from Photoshop.

    This does not affect the screen display in InDesign (Jennifer has addressed that), but your type will look better if you can keep it in vector form as long as possible.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Jennifer and Jim -

    A quick question. If I raserize the type in Photoshop, will it help?

  5. #5

    No. Follow Jim's advice. It's simply the best way to get high quality
    from Photoshop to InDesign.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    } If vector, editable text appears in your Photoshop doents, do not save as PSD. PSD text
    } is placed in InDesign as bitmap art. To retain the crisp vectors of the text, save your art as
    } PDF or PDP from Photoshop.

    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

    Do you know if an exported PDF from an InD file w/placed PS PDF contains actual vector type or is it some kind of vector mask of raster data? My initial test indicates the latter.

    However, if the resulting quality is better, good. I'll check it out regardless.

    & again, thanks for the insight.

    rdd
    Robert_dudley_Dickinson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Well, you certainly did your homework. We had this discussion a short
    time ago. I can't remember if it was here or the Windows side.

    You can search around for it if you'd like. But the short answer is that
    something does happen after the PS PDF is exported as part of an
    InDesign PDF. But, it's still better than rasterizing the text so stick
    with PDF fro Photoshop.

    Bob
    Bob Guest