Professional Web Applications Themes

New to mac, not to UNIX. Questions regarding x11 installation - Mac Programming

Hello folks, Please forgive the "newbieness" of my questions: I just bought my first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to install X on my machine so that I can program. I see that supposedly os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to process standard make (gmake) files. I installed x11 (the "beta" version) from the apple site, but it has been a black box. When I open terminals, for example, I keep getting the BSD terminal. How do I open a terminal specific to x11 ...

  1. #1

    Default New to mac, not to UNIX. Questions regarding x11 installation

    Hello folks,

    Please forgive the "newbieness" of my questions: I just bought my
    first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to
    install X on my machine so that I can program. I see that supposedly
    os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to
    process standard make (gmake) files. I installed x11 (the "beta"
    version) from the apple site, but it has been a black box. When I
    open terminals, for example, I keep getting the BSD terminal. How do
    I open a terminal specific to x11 so that I can begin to install all
    the good unix-based programs that I love?

    Thanks,

    Joel Eaves
    Jack Mackrel Guest

  2. #2

    In article <338cb633.0309192138.37b6294cposting.google.com >,
    [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    > Please forgive the "newbieness" of my questions: I just bought my
    > first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to
    > install X on my machine so that I can program. I see that supposedly
    > os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to
    > process standard make (gmake) files.
    Install Apple Developer Tools, the installer is either on your disk (if you got
    a new machine) or downloadable from developer.apple.com
    > I installed x11 (the "beta"
    > version) from the apple site, but it has been a black box. When I
    > open terminals, for example, I keep getting the BSD terminal. How do
    > I open a terminal specific to x11 so that I can begin to install all
    > the good unix-based programs that I love?
    Run xterm from the terminal, or add xterm to your ~/.xinitrc

    hth

    meeroh

    Miro Jurisic Guest

  3. #3

    In article <macdev-103CC8.01414720092003senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
    Miro Jurisic <macdevmeeroh.org> wrote:
    > In article <338cb633.0309192138.37b6294cposting.google.com >,
    > [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    >
    > > Please forgive the "newbieness" of my questions: I just bought my
    > > first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to
    > > install X on my machine so that I can program. I see that supposedly
    > > os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to
    > > process standard make (gmake) files.
    >
    > Install Apple Developer Tools, the installer is either on your disk (if you
    > got
    > a new machine) or downloadable from developer.apple.com
    You may also want to look at installing fink:
    [url]http://fink.sourceforge.net/[/url]

    Have a look at the website for the details.

    --
    Ken Sodemann
    [email]stufflemac.com[/email]

  4. #4

    On 19 Sep 2003 22:38:37 -0700, Jack Mackrel wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    > Please forgive the "newbieness" of my questions: I just bought my
    > first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to
    > install X on my machine so that I can program. I see that supposedly
    > os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to
    > process standard make (gmake) files. I installed x11 (the "beta"
    > version) from the apple site, but it has been a black box. When I
    > open terminals, for example, I keep getting the BSD terminal. How do
    > I open a terminal specific to x11 so that I can begin to install all
    > the good unix-based programs that I love?
    Look in /Applications/Installers for the developer tools installer.

    And I second the motion to check out fink.sf.net for Unix and X11 apps.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  5. #5

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:56:49 -0500, Ken Sodemann
    <stufflecharter.net> wrote:
    > > > first mac tonight. I am a pretty seasoned linux user and I want to
    > > > install X on my machine so that I can program.
    You don't need X on the machine to program Apple apps - they
    don't use X. But if you want to program standard X apps then
    obviously you do... The Apple X server is IMHO better than the
    standard opensource version and is also free, but it seems much
    better integrated with the Mac GUI. Its on the Apple download
    site.
    > > > os x comes with gcc, but I can't find it nor have I been able to
    > > > process standard make (gmake) files.
    You need to install the developer tools which should come on a CD
    with the OS unless you got an iBook (or iMac?) in which case you
    need to ask Apple to send the CD (Or maybe you can download them,
    but it will take a while!) for which they charge about $10.

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    [url]http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld[/url]
    Alan Gauld Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f6c8553.68188509news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    [email]alan.gauldbtinternet.com[/email] (Alan Gauld) wrote:
    > You need to install the developer tools which should come on a CD
    > with the OS unless you got an iBook (or iMac?) in which case you
    > need to ask Apple to send the CD (Or maybe you can download them,
    > but it will take a while!) for which they charge about $10.
    On an iBook, you'll find a version of the dev tools installer in
    /Applications/Installers/ that you can run to get gcc, make (which
    actually is GNU make), and some other nifty thingies.

    Cheers,
    -- M. Uli Kusterer
    [url]http://www.zathras.de[/url]
    Uli Kusterer Guest