Professional Web Applications Themes

New to Mac OS X, some (quick) questions to get up to speed - Mac Applications & Software

Hi all, I did it! I just installed Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my old 8600. I have a lot of catching up to do may be some of you can help me with the following questions.. - I installed the system to a separate empty disk. This was supposed to be a temporary install to test things and get acquainted with the system. Eventually I will install it onto my main disk where all my files and other applications are. The question is: Can I simply copy the whole system from one disk to another or do I have ...

  1. #1

    Default New to Mac OS X, some (quick) questions to get up to speed

    Hi all,
    I did it! I just installed Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my old 8600.
    I have a lot of catching up to do may be some of you can help me with
    the following questions..

    - I installed the system to a separate empty disk. This was supposed to
    be a temporary install to test things and get acquainted with the
    system. Eventually I will install it onto my main disk where all my
    files and other applications are. The question is: Can I simply copy the
    whole system from one disk to another or do I have to install it again?
    And for applications that were installed before the system was installed
    (Photoshop 7, InDesign, Golive) Can I simply copy preferences from the
    Mac OS 9 preferences folder to the ~/library/Preferences folder for them
    to work correctly in Mac OS X?

    - What is the difference between /library and /System/library? They seem
    to have similar directories but I take it they are used differently?

    - In /library/printers I find printer folders of printers that I don't
    have. Can I delete them?

    - Is there an easy way to edit Icons? Like say putting an application
    Icon on a folder?

    - What about fonts? Is there a good way to manage them short of buying a
    font manager? (I used ATM in MacOS 9).

    - Can I install Bash in the same way (from source) I did it on FreeBSD?

    - How do I add my own alert sounds to the system? Is there a way to make
    the clock chime?

    Any good resource sites that deal with issues like this are also welcome..

    Thanks,

    Steven

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  2. #2

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    /System/Library is owned by Mac OS X; don't touch anything there, or
    it'll likely be changed/overwritten/deleted without warning. /Library
    is available for use in whatever way you see fit.

    Yes (you could have done this in the installer).

    Check out versiontracker for an application called CanCombineIcons.
    Shareware and cheap (though I forget how much).

    A font manager was demoed as part of Panther (10.3) if you can wait for
    it.

    I suppose, but it should already be there as /bin/bash.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    Andre G. Isaak wrote:

    > You need to reinstall it. Just copying won't work.[/ref]

    Can I at least copy parts? Like the user directory?

    What about applications? Do I have to reinstall them all over again too?

    Steven

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  4. #4

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    > Check out versiontracker for an application called CanCombineIcons.
    > Shareware and cheap (though I forget how much).[/ref]

    Thanks I'll check it out.

    > A font manager was demoed as part of Panther (10.3) if you can wait for
    > it.[/ref]

    When is Pather due to be released? Never mind, I'm from the "old world" :-)

    > I suppose, but it should already be there as /bin/bash.[/ref]

    Oops I hadn't noticed...

    Thanks,

    Steven

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  5. #5

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    > > You need to reinstall it. Just copying won't work.[/ref]
    >
    > Can I at least copy parts? Like the user directory?[/ref]

    Yes, if you're careful to set the permissions properly afterwards.

    No. Copying /Applications/ and possibly (depending on what apps you've
    installed) /Library/Application Support/ should be sufficient.

    But you might want to consider using a utility like psync or Carbon Copy
    Cloner to just mirror the installation from one drive to the other.

    --
    "First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just
    because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill."

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    > > You need to reinstall it. Just copying won't work.[/ref]
    >
    > Can I at least copy parts? Like the user directory?
    >
    > What about applications? Do I have to reinstall them all over again too?[/ref]

    You can copy most things. If you really want to move the OS and all,
    grab a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. In addition to copying all the files
    and folders, it recreates various essential links and does the setup
    required to make the new volume bootable.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  7. #7

    You can copy all of it using a shareware problem called Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Check Versiontracker.

    --
    Jerry Gardner
    net

    Jerry Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:55:07 +0200, Sandman wrote:
     [/ref]

    Fink is great, but you don't need it for bash, since /bin/bash comes with
    the system (Jaguar, and I presume Panther as well).

    Unless you require the very latest version, that is.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  9. #9

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Sandman <net> wrote:

    > Merely dragging the files and folders over won't, unfortunately, work. But
    > you
    > can use a utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner to 'clone' your system drive to
    > another drive.[/ref]

    I want to back up my PB G4 (40GB HD) to an external 120 GB external HD.
    There are some files on the external drive. From the way I read CCC it
    appears that I can only clone my G4, leave both drives syncronized, and
    not make a back up file in a separate folder. Is this correct?

    > /Library is a place for support files and settings that affect all users on
    > the
    > local machine. /System/Library are the same, but for the system[/ref]

    A single user machine will have four libraries, at least. That includes
    an administrator library, a user library, a system library and a
    library. This is the kind of nomenclature that I think confuses a lot of
    long time Mac users.
    bux Guest

  10. #10

    In article <supernews.com>,
    bux <com> wrote:

    > > Merely dragging the files and folders over won't, unfortunately, work. But
    > > you can use a utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner to 'clone' your system
    > > drive to another drive.[/ref]
    >
    > I want to back up my PB G4 (40GB HD) to an external 120 GB external HD.
    > There are some files on the external drive. From the way I read CCC it
    > appears that I can only clone my G4, leave both drives syncronized, and not
    > make a back up file in a separate folder. Is this correct?[/ref]

    Yes, that is correct. It clones, not merely copies. CCC isn't a general backup
    utility. There are numerous utilities for backup up your data that you can look
    into.

    > > /Library is a place for support files and settings that affect all users
    > > on the local machine. /System/Library are the same, but for the system[/ref]
    >
    > A single user machine will have four libraries, at least. That includes an
    > administrator library, a user library, a system library and a library. This
    > is the kind of nomenclature that I think confuses a lot of long time Mac
    > users.[/ref]

    There is no reason a single user machine needs both an admin account and a user
    account.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  11. #11

    Jerry Gardner <net> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    > You can copy all of it using a shareware problem called Carbon Copy Cloner.[/ref]
    ^^^^^^^

    Hmm...

    Anno
    Anno Guest