Professional Web Applications Themes

New to Mac Programming, advice please - Mac Programming

I'm new to mac programing with Cocoa, I know RealBASIC, HTML, JavaScript, PHP, and am learning C/C++. I can't really get the hang of Cocoa programming using XCODE (or whatever). Can anyone recomend me a Cocoa book, or website Thanks Bmac...

  1. #1

    Default New to Mac Programming, advice please

    I'm new to mac programing with Cocoa, I know RealBASIC, HTML,
    JavaScript, PHP, and am learning C/C++. I can't really get the hang
    of Cocoa programming using XCODE (or whatever). Can anyone recomend me
    a Cocoa book, or website

    Thanks

    Bmac

    bmac Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New to Mac Programming, advice please

    In article <2004020720361716807%bmactechiecom>, bmac <com>
    wrote:

    There are several books out there about Cocoa, assuming you know C.
    (Make sure you have taken the time to get a good foundation in C first;
    none of the Cocoa books are tutorials in the underlying C language
    although most do not assume you know Objective C very well. Objective
    C is a superset of C). Try using xCode to produce standard C programs
    from any text book on the subject; you will not only learn C but get
    the basics of xCode down as well.

    Then turning to Cocoa, my personal favorite book is Cocoa Recipes: The
    Vermont Recipes by Bill Cheeseman. It is a step by step tutorial and
    is fairly repetitive which I think is great for learning. Along the
    way, you will pick up some great programming practices and some great
    discussion of why you are doing what you are doing. The program that
    you create is massive if "trivial" in it's function. What isn't
    trivial is that you will get to try out programming for a vast array of
    user interface widgets, learn to store and read data files, get a real
    clear picture of how the MVC paradigm that Cocoa is based on works,
    etc., i.e. how to do the things that you will want to be able to do in
    a real program

    One downside to most (all?) of the Cocoa books out there to date: they
    are all based on using xCode's predecessor, Project Builder. In
    concept the two are essentially the same but the step by steps for the
    environment itself will need some alteration if you are using xCode.
    When in doubt, ask here.

    Spence

    --
    James P. Spencer
    Rochester, MN

    "Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!"
    James Guest

  3. #3

    On 2004-02-08 00:47:25 -0400, James Spencer
    <net> said:

    > There are several books out there about Cocoa, assuming you know C.
    > (Make sure you have taken the time to get a good foundation in C
    > first;
    > none of the Cocoa books are tutorials in the underlying C language
    > although most do not assume you know Objective C very well.
    > Objective
    > C is a superset of C). Try using xCode to produce standard C
    > programs
    > from any text book on the subject; you will not only learn C but get
    > the basics of xCode down as well.
    >
    > Then turning to Cocoa, my personal favorite book is Cocoa Recipes:
    > The
    > Vermont Recipes by Bill Cheeseman. It is a step by step tutorial and
    > is fairly repetitive which I think is great for learning. Along the
    > way, you will pick up some great programming practices and some great
    > discussion of why you are doing what you are doing. The program that
    > you create is massive if "trivial" in it's function. What isn't
    > trivial is that you will get to try out programming for a vast array
    > of
    > user interface widgets, learn to store and read data files, get a
    > real
    > clear picture of how the MVC paradigm that Cocoa is based on works,
    > etc., i.e. how to do the things that you will want to be able to do
    > in
    > a real program
    >
    > One downside to most (all?) of the Cocoa books out there to date:
    > they
    > are all based on using xCode's predecessor, Project Builder. In
    > concept the two are essentially the same but the step by steps for
    > the
    > environment itself will need some alteration if you are using xCode.
    > When in doubt, ask here.
    >
    > Spence[/ref]

    Thanks very much

    Bmac
    Bmac Guest

  4. #4

    In article <2004020720361716807%bmactechiecom>, bmac <com>
    wrote:

    Honestly the first thing to do is change "am learning C/C++" to "have
    learned C" with C++ being optional. Once you're comfortable with C, take
    a little while to work out Objective-C (there are some decent
    introductory materials on Apple's site) apart from any particular class
    library. The difference between C and Objective-C is really fairly small
    but exceedingly impactful. Then Cocoa is its own topic.

    Gregory Guest