Professional Web Applications Themes

New to networking. Cannot connect to Mac from Windows - Mac Networking

Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on the Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac. We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines to share through, and we have followed the help files for creating an account to log into the Mac. Now I can see the Mac using Network Neighbourhood, but when I try to access it, it prompts for a ...

  1. #1

    Default New to networking. Cannot connect to Mac from Windows

    Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money
    constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to
    connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on the
    Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac.

    We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines to
    share through, and we have followed the help files for creating an
    account to log into the Mac.

    Now I can see the Mac using Network Neighbourhood, but when I try to
    access it, it prompts for a password in the form of a pop up:

    Resource: \\his computer\IPC$
    Password:

    Any password I enter is wrong though. Is there a way to access just the
    account he has set up for me, as I am not sure what this IPC$ is.

    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    --
    Always proof read carefully in case you any words out
    Fish Head on a Stick:

  2. #2

    "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.19e17cbba6c7bd2a9896c0news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money
    > constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to
    > connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on the
    > Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac.
    >
    > We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines to
    > share through, and we have followed the help files for creating an
    > account to log into the Mac.
    >
    > Now I can see the Mac using Network Neighbourhood, but when I try to
    > access it, it prompts for a password in the form of a pop up:
    >
    > Resource: \\his computer\IPC$
    > Password:
    >
    > Any password I enter is wrong though. Is there a way to access just the
    > account he has set up for me, as I am not sure what this IPC$ is.
    IPC generally refers to inter process communication or something like that -
    basically its expecting you to authenticate yourself. Whatever your username
    is on windows (find out by going Start.... Log off <username>) will need to
    have an account/password on the mac. (How you go about setting up such users
    on the mac is beyond me - I only have Appletalk macs here). Then you can
    connect using your mac password.

    hope that helps,
    matt

    --
    matthew fullerton
    LC475/MacOS 7.5.5 and LCIII/System 7.1

    ---

    matt Guest

  3. #3

    Begin secret code: <bl81eq$edp$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    matt said

    > "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.19e17cbba6c7bd2a9896c0news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > > Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money
    > > constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to
    > > connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on the
    > > Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac.
    > >
    > > We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines to
    > > share through, and we have followed the help files for creating an
    > > account to log into the Mac.
    > >
    > > Now I can see the Mac using Network Neighbourhood, but when I try to
    > > access it, it prompts for a password in the form of a pop up:
    > >
    > > Resource: \\his computer\IPC$
    > > Password:
    > >
    > > Any password I enter is wrong though. Is there a way to access just the
    > > account he has set up for me, as I am not sure what this IPC$ is.
    >
    > IPC generally refers to inter process communication or something like that -
    > basically its expecting you to authenticate yourself. Whatever your username
    > is on windows (find out by going Start.... Log off <username>) will need to
    > have an account/password on the mac. (How you go about setting up such users
    > on the mac is beyond me - I only have Appletalk macs here). Then you can
    > connect using your mac password.
    Well my log on name for windows is Russell Codd, but there is no
    password. So I need to set up the account on the mac using the name
    'Russell Codd'?? Again, what woud I use for the password though?

  4. #4

    "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.19e21101d39a6c119896c1news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > Begin secret code: <bl81eq$edp$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    > matt said
    > >
    > > "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    > > news:MPG.19e17cbba6c7bd2a9896c0news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > > > Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money
    > > > constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to
    > > > connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on
    the
    > > > Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac.
    > > >
    > > > We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines
    > > > share through, and we have followed the help files for creating an
    > > > account to log into the Mac.
    > > >
    > > > Now I can see the Mac using Network Neighbourhood, but when I try to
    > > > access it, it prompts for a password in the form of a pop up:
    > > >
    > > > Resource: \\his computer\IPC$
    > > > Password:
    > > >
    > > > Any password I enter is wrong though. Is there a way to access just
    the
    > > > account he has set up for me, as I am not sure what this IPC$ is.
    > >
    > > IPC generally refers to inter process communication or something like
    that -
    > > basically its expecting you to authenticate yourself. Whatever your
    username
    > > is on windows (find out by going Start.... Log off <username>) will need
    > > have an account/password on the mac. (How you go about setting up such
    users
    > > on the mac is beyond me - I only have Appletalk macs here). Then you can
    > > connect using your mac password.
    >
    > Well my log on name for windows is Russell Codd, but there is no
    > password. So I need to set up the account on the mac using the name
    > 'Russell Codd'??
    Yes - though I would go with something simpler like Russell for testing
    >Again, what woud I use for the password though?
    Can the accounts on the mac have passwords? I used to use Windows 2000 and
    to allow other people in the house to connect I created user accounts for
    them with no password - then they connected just fine. Another option might
    be to find out the windows file sharing options on the MAC - perhaps there
    is a "require user" option?

    You could also give "guest" or "nobody" a go - they are common guest
    usernames.

    matt
    > --
    > Always proof read carefully in case you any words out
    > Fish Head on a Stick:
    > < [url]http://www.fhoas.com[/url] >

    ---

    matt Guest

  5. #5

    Begin secret code: <bl95he$7hf$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    matt said

    > "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.19e21101d39a6c119896c1news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > > Begin secret code: <bl81eq$edp$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    > > matt said
    > > >
    > > > "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:MPG.19e17cbba6c7bd2a9896c0news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > the

    > the
    > > >
    > > > IPC generally refers to inter process communication or something like
    > that -
    > > > basically its expecting you to authenticate yourself. Whatever your
    > username
    > > > is on windows (find out by going Start.... Log off <username>) will need
    > > > have an account/password on the mac. (How you go about setting up such
    > users
    > > > on the mac is beyond me - I only have Appletalk macs here). Then you can
    > > > connect using your mac password.
    > >
    > > Well my log on name for windows is Russell Codd, but there is no
    > > password. So I need to set up the account on the mac using the name
    > > 'Russell Codd'??
    > Yes - though I would go with something simpler like Russell for testing
    >
    > >Again, what woud I use for the password though?
    > Can the accounts on the mac have passwords? I used to use Windows 2000 and
    > to allow other people in the house to connect I created user accounts for
    > them with no password - then they connected just fine. Another option might
    > be to find out the windows file sharing options on the MAC - perhaps there
    > is a "require user" option?
    >
    > You could also give "guest" or "nobody" a go - they are common guest
    > usernames.
    There is no prompt for a username though, just a password. I have also
    tried a lot of these as possible passwords.

    He has set up an account on his computer for me, but accessing it seems
    to need this password, which isn't the one he has set for the account.

    There is also a bit we found whereby I log into the mac using
    [url]http://local.router.ip.address/russellcodd[/url]
    but this just times out when trying to connect.

  6. #6

    "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.19e252443549b5109896c2news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > Begin secret code: <bl95he$7hf$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    > matt said
    > >
    > > "Russell Codd" <Replyfhoas.com> wrote in message
    > > news:MPG.19e21101d39a6c119896c1news.dsl.pipex.com ...
    > > > Begin secret code: <bl81eq$edp$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    > > > matt said

    > > the

    > > the

    > > that -
    > > username
    > > users
    > > >
    > > > Well my log on name for windows is Russell Codd, but there is no
    > > > password. So I need to set up the account on the mac using the name
    > > > 'Russell Codd'??
    > > Yes - though I would go with something simpler like Russell for testing
    > >
    > > >Again, what woud I use for the password though?
    > > Can the accounts on the mac have passwords? I used to use Windows 2000
    and
    > > to allow other people in the house to connect I created user accounts
    for
    > > them with no password - then they connected just fine. Another option
    might
    > > be to find out the windows file sharing options on the MAC - perhaps
    there
    > > is a "require user" option?
    > >
    > > You could also give "guest" or "nobody" a go - they are common guest
    > > usernames.
    >
    > There is no prompt for a username though, just a password. I have also
    > tried a lot of these as possible passwords.
    >
    > He has set up an account on his computer for me, but accessing it seems
    > to need this password, which isn't the one he has set for the account.
    The way it should work is that you set up an account on the mac with your
    windows 98 login name and any password you like. When you try to connect to
    the mac windows should pass your username to the mac and the mac will expect
    the password of that user that it has stored.

    If this still doesn't work, you could try posting to comp.protocols.smb -
    theres a lot of knowledgeble people in there!

    matt

    --
    matt

  7. #7

    Begin secret code: <blabkv$25l$1pump1.york.ac.uk>.
    matt said
    <snip>
    > The way it should work is that you set up an account on the mac with your
    > windows 98 login name and any password you like. When you try to connect to
    > the mac windows should pass your username to the mac and the mac will expect
    > the password of that user that it has stored.
    Hmm, my username to log into windows in 'Russell Codd' and apparently the
    Mac doesn't like capitals or spaces, so all i can put in as a username on
    the mac is 'russellcodd.' I tried changing my log in name to russellcodd,
    but this didn't work either.
    > If this still doesn't work, you could try posting to comp.protocols.smb -
    > theres a lot of knowledgeble people in there!
    Thanks, I will.