Professional Web Applications Themes

New to photography - Photography

Hi, Ive in the last year got into photography as a hobbie, Im digital at the moment possibly buying a Canon D-60 moving up from my cool but basic Canon A40. Im looking also for a Canon 35mm SLR, has anyone good recommendations for a particular model, as cheap as possible, easy to get to grips with but also with plenty of powerful features, ie something i can grow to use to its full. Any ideas? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default New to photography

    Hi,

    Ive in the last year got into photography as a hobbie, Im digital at
    the moment possibly buying a Canon D-60 moving up from my cool but
    basic Canon A40. Im looking also for a Canon 35mm SLR, has anyone good
    recommendations for a particular model, as cheap as possible, easy to
    get to grips with but also with plenty of powerful features, ie
    something i can grow to use to its full.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Vinylmixer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New to photography

    "Vinylmixer" <bpcmghotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:f656a786.0307160105.6d603206posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ive in the last year got into photography as a hobbie, Im digital at
    > the moment possibly buying a Canon D-60 moving up from my cool but
    > basic Canon A40. Im looking also for a Canon 35mm SLR, has anyone good
    > recommendations for a particular model, as cheap as possible, easy to
    > get to grips with but also with plenty of powerful features, ie
    > something i can grow to use to its full.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    Used Elan IIe:
    [url]http://makeashorterlink.com/?P52A22845[/url]
    and more specifically:
    [url]http://makeashorterlink.com/?P53A21845[/url]

    Matt Clara Guest

  3. #3

    Either a new Rebel Ti or a used Elan of any model. The Elan would be
    harder, much harder, to ever outgrow, but there is a lot to be said for the
    small size of the Ti and the very reasonable price.

    --
    [url]http://www.chapelhillnoir.com[/url]
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Vinylmixer" <bpcmghotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:f656a786.0307160105.6d603206posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ive in the last year got into photography as a hobbie, Im digital at
    > the moment possibly buying a Canon D-60 moving up from my cool but
    > basic Canon A40. Im looking also for a Canon 35mm SLR, has anyone good
    > recommendations for a particular model, as cheap as possible, easy to
    > get to grips with but also with plenty of powerful features, ie
    > something i can grow to use to its full.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  4. #4

    Vinylmixer <bpcmghotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:f656a786.0307160105.6d603206posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ive in the last year got into photography as a hobbie, Im digital at
    > the moment possibly buying a Canon D-60 moving up from my cool but
    > basic Canon A40. Im looking also for a Canon 35mm SLR, has anyone good
    > recommendations for a particular model, as cheap as possible, easy to
    > get to grips with but also with plenty of powerful features, ie
    > something i can grow to use to its full.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have a Canon Elan IIe, which might serve your needs, and you can find the
    at a very reasonable price. I bought mine used, with a 28-105 lens, for
    $275.

    The AI Servo (predictive auto focusing for objects/people in motion) is
    nice, has DOF preview, AE lock, and a lot of other stuff.

    Patrick L.

    Patrick L. Guest

  5. #5

    Hi all,

    Three weeks ago I bought a new compact digital camera for the family.
    Recently I put some holiday shots on the web for friends and family to see
    and they all raved about them. I won't mention the name of the cam' in case
    this sounds like an ad, but I now have four more of them on order for
    friends.

    I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put my
    favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]

    Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just started
    playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to getting out
    and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp because they
    were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I am interested
    to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there is enough
    resolution.

    Are these any good? All comments welcome.

    Dave

    David James Guest

  6. #6

    For someone new to photography... those were great shots. I especially like
    the sunset shots - they're just wonderful.

    Keep up the good work. I'm curious and will ask... what camera did you use?
    I'm new to photography myself... just got my Canon G3 and am having a blast
    with it

    Marvin

    "David James" <djisozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Three weeks ago I bought a new compact digital camera for the family.
    > Recently I put some holiday shots on the web for friends and family to see
    > and they all raved about them. I won't mention the name of the cam' in
    case
    > this sounds like an ad, but I now have four more of them on order for
    > friends.
    >
    > I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put my
    > favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]
    >
    > Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just
    started
    > playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to getting out
    > and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp because they
    > were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I am interested
    > to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there is enough
    > resolution.
    >
    > Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    >
    > Dave

    maverick0516 Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Marvin,

    Wow...Thank you! I took over 700 shots in the first week so I had to fluke
    it sooner or later. It's an Olympus c-4000.

    Thanks,
    David
    "maverick0516" <maverick0516comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:OFu4b.142113$2x.40425rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.n et...
    > For someone new to photography... those were great shots. I especially
    like
    > the sunset shots - they're just wonderful.
    >
    > Keep up the good work. I'm curious and will ask... what camera did you
    use?
    > I'm new to photography myself... just got my Canon G3 and am having a
    blast
    > with it
    >

    > Marvin
    >

    > "David James" <djisozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Three weeks ago I bought a new compact digital camera for the family.
    > > Recently I put some holiday shots on the web for friends and family to
    see
    > > and they all raved about them. I won't mention the name of the cam' in
    > case
    > > this sounds like an ad, but I now have four more of them on order for
    > > friends.
    > >
    > > I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put
    my
    > > favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]
    > >
    > > Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just
    > started
    > > playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to getting
    out
    > > and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp because
    they
    > > were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I am
    interested
    > > to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there is enough
    > > resolution.
    > >
    > > Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    > >
    > > Dave

    David James Guest

  8. #8

    Nice shots! You have the eye, no doubt about it. And I also am interested in
    what camera you are using. Check out the pictures on my website, they have
    been optimized for the web. I have made enlargements of many. 8 X10 and
    haven't lost detail or color. I am using an Olympus C3040z. Only has 3.4
    mega pixel but it has a great lens.

    Keep up the good work.
    Posie

    --
    [url]www.photoartbyposie.com[/url]
    Photographic art over the internet!

    Posie Guest

  9. #9

    "David James" <djisozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >

    > Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just
    started
    > playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to getting out
    > and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp because they
    > were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I am interested
    > to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there is enough
    > resolution.
    >
    > Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,

    Try uploading one of your full res files to [url]http://www.ezprints.com[/url] and and
    having them do a 16 x 20 for you. I think you will be pleased.

    Steve

    Steve Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 01:20:39 +1000, "David James" <djisozemail.com.au>
    wrote:

    >I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put my
    >favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]
    >
    >Are these any good? All comments welcome.

    The shots look well taken, but (since you've asked) if you want real
    criticism then...

    The best shots: Red Rock and Black Bandanas. Though in both you might
    want to consider getting the horizon straigher next time (or use
    Photoshop to rotate the image). In Red Rock the random footprints in
    the sand detract from the image as does what looks like might be the
    shadow of a person in the lower right. You need to look at all the
    details in when you take landscape photos. I would also point out that
    sunset shots are common and are quite mundane. Not that the image
    isn't well done, because it is, it's just that the subject is, well,
    overdone.

    The Something old, Something new image wants me to scream that with
    such a good figure subject, you reduced the shot to a snap shot.
    Probably showing from head to foot of this individual so obviously
    posing was not the best choice. You see similar poses in family
    vacation snapshots. I'd have worked with him. Asked him to sit on the
    cycle. Taken shots from in front through the windshield, his face
    showing, maybe grinning fiendishly, or his withered hands on the
    throttle, perhaps position the cylce on the road ... that sort of
    thing. Then again this guys face and hair are so good, I'd probably of
    canned the motorcyle and shot him alone and in doing so get closer to
    his face.

    All the other shots are more snapshots than art shots. After a while
    you'll get board of images like the one you took of Mars (they start
    to all look alike). You'll also get bored of multicolor images like
    the one of all the M&Ms (as well as shooting objects with patterns,
    keep shooting and you'll see what I mean). You'll also probably get
    tired of images of flowers. Note that in the ones you have on your
    page, the flower is centered and the backgrounds are out of focus. If
    you look at really good still life photography, the opposite tends to
    be true. And as for the bee... it would have been better if it was
    taken straight on in order to show the bee better AND if the flower
    were not overexposed. But then I've never really been impressed by
    macrophotography.

    -- JC
    J C Guest

  11. #11

    David James wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Three weeks ago I bought a new compact digital camera for the family.
    > Recently I put some holiday shots on the web for friends and family to see
    > and they all raved about them. I won't mention the name of the cam' in
    > case this sounds like an ad, but I now have four more of them on order for
    > friends.
    >
    > I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put my
    > favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]
    >
    > Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just
    > started playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to
    > getting out and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp
    > because they were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I
    > am interested to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there
    > is enough resolution.
    >
    > Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    >
    > Dave
    They look pretty good to me. Don't worry about the fact you use automatic
    exposure settings unless they don't work. Usually they are as good or
    better than what you would set manually, and they let you concentrate on
    the subject, which is what's important. With digital you can instantly
    review the exposure and tell if the automatic settings worked or if you
    need to correct them manually. Your eye seems good enough. When you get
    comfortable, you should try film.

    Norman Worth Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks Steve,

    I am in Australia and use a local service.
    Dave
    "Steve" <sct817nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
    news:pm35b.254924$It4.119615rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att .net...

    > "David James" <djisozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >

    > > Most of these pics were taken with the auto settings. I am only just
    > started
    > > playing with the manual settings and I am looking foreword to getting
    out
    > > and about with some free time. I resized these pics with psp because
    they
    > > were 700+ k. I had a few developed and they came up great. I am
    interested
    > > to see how it goes if I get one n up and whether there is enough
    > > resolution.
    > >
    > > Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Dave,
    >
    > Try uploading one of your full res files to [url]http://www.ezprints.com[/url] and
    and
    > having them do a 16 x 20 for you. I think you will be pleased.
    >
    > Steve

    David James Guest

  13. #13

    Hi Posie,

    I had a look around your site. Love the snow pics especially Arrowhead
    mountain, the thumb sorta looks like a forrest fire in the snow. The mist
    rising from shadow lake also caught my eye. Thanks for the kind comments.

    Dave

    PS it's a c-400z

  14. #14

    Thanks J C,

    That's exactly what I was asking for. Now you have really got me thinking. I
    did notice the footprints in Red Rock and guess who put them there. Me.
    Might get up at 5:30 again tomorrow and watch my step this time. The shadow
    is of another rock, maybe I'll get up later to shorten the shadow, but then
    I risk others footprints. Pity I didn't get the Bandanas angle on the
    sunrise morning. Now you've really got me thinking and as you say looking at
    and considering the detail. Looking at pictures will never be the same
    again.

    The older fellow beside my bike has invited me to his caravan to see his key
    collection and statues he built of his deceased wife, with such a great
    opportunity I am putting it off until I have learnt a bit more. I thought
    about asking him to throw a leg over but I was concerned that he might drop
    it and injure himself. I'll can the bike and try to get some close ups of
    his face. Hopefully he will look away from me a few times. I don't want to
    offer him money in case I offend him and I'm trying to think of an
    appropriate gift. He considers himself greater than the queen of England
    because he has performed before her many years ago when he was a trapeze
    artist in a circus. He is very hard to communicate with, so it will be
    trying session.

    No offence taken to the criticism, I found it all constructive and helpful.

    Thank you,
    David

    "J C" <nullnowhere.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 01:20:39 +1000, "David James" <djisozemail.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I sorted through the pics I have taken over the past few weeks and put my
    > >favourites on the net at [url]http://www.woolgoolgarealestate.com.au/album/[/url]
    > >

    > >Are these any good? All comments welcome.
    > >

    > The shots look well taken, but (since you've asked) if you want real
    > criticism then...
    >
    > The best shots: Red Rock and Black Bandanas. Though in both you might
    > want to consider getting the horizon straigher next time (or use
    > Photoshop to rotate the image). In Red Rock the random footprints in
    > the sand detract from the image as does what looks like might be the
    > shadow of a person in the lower right. You need to look at all the
    > details in when you take landscape photos. I would also point out that
    > sunset shots are common and are quite mundane. Not that the image
    > isn't well done, because it is, it's just that the subject is, well,
    > overdone.
    >
    > The Something old, Something new image wants me to scream that with
    > such a good figure subject, you reduced the shot to a snap shot.
    > Probably showing from head to foot of this individual so obviously
    > posing was not the best choice. You see similar poses in family
    > vacation snapshots. I'd have worked with him. Asked him to sit on the
    > cycle. Taken shots from in front through the windshield, his face
    > showing, maybe grinning fiendishly, or his withered hands on the
    > throttle, perhaps position the cylce on the road ... that sort of
    > thing. Then again this guys face and hair are so good, I'd probably of
    > canned the motorcyle and shot him alone and in doing so get closer to
    > his face.
    >
    > All the other shots are more snapshots than art shots. After a while
    > you'll get board of images like the one you took of Mars (they start
    > to all look alike). You'll also get bored of multicolor images like
    > the one of all the M&Ms (as well as shooting objects with patterns,
    > keep shooting and you'll see what I mean). You'll also probably get
    > tired of images of flowers. Note that in the ones you have on your
    > page, the flower is centered and the backgrounds are out of focus. If
    > you look at really good still life photography, the opposite tends to
    > be true. And as for the bee... it would have been better if it was
    > taken straight on in order to show the bee better AND if the flower
    > were not overexposed. But then I've never really been impressed by
    > macrophotography.
    >

    > -- JC

    David James Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Norman,

    I will take your advice and use automatic settings when time is an issue.
    There were a couple of examples of this in my previous post.

    I always thought film would be too hard but I guess I'll have to learn all
    the tricks either way. There is an old SLR in my cupboard, maybe I'll get it
    out again once I have mastered exposure settings.

    Thanks
    David

  16. #16

    I meant to mention.... Red Rock is a small village 3 minutes from my home on
    the East coast of Australia. The native people here refer to it as blood
    rock.
> [...]
    > > canned the motorcyle and shot him alone and in doing so get closer to
    > > his face.
    > >
    > > All the other shots are more snapshots than art shots. After a while
    > > you'll get board of images like the one you took of Mars (they start
    > > to all look alike). You'll also get bored of multicolor images like
    > > the one of all the M&Ms (as well as shooting objects with patterns,
    > > keep shooting and you'll see what I mean). You'll also probably get
    > > tired of images of flowers. Note that in the ones you have on your
    > > page, the flower is centered and the backgrounds are out of focus. If
    > > you look at really good still life photography, the opposite tends to
    > > be true. And as for the bee... it would have been better if it was
    > > taken straight on in order to show the bee better AND if the flower
    > > were not overexposed. But then I've never really been impressed by

    David James Guest

  17. #17

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:32:14 +1000, "David James" <djisozemail.com.au>
    wrote:
    >> I don't want to
    >> offer him money in case I offend him and I'm trying to think of an
    >> appropriate gift.
    I always carry a pad and pencil and offer to send the models I find on
    the street ups of the photos I take if they come out well.

    The notebooks also come in handy for recording time of day, exposure,
    etc. On more than one occassion I've used that info to time my return
    to a place according to how high the sun will be and how the shadows
    will be falling.

    -- JC
    J C Guest