    Removed by Administrator
    Skip Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #23

    Default Re: New Voigtlander Pentax -Mount Body Released

    x-no-archive: yes

    "Skip Middleton" <net> wrote in message

    I lived in the New York Metropolitan area in the early 70s, and I assure you
    that East German lenses were not highly advertised or stocked by the major
    camera outlets at that time.

    The original poster said that there were quite a few third party lenses that
    were optically superior to the SMC Takumars. Naturally, the statement
    coming from T.P., he gave no details, just his usual sweeping comments, as
    though they were being dropped from on high upon us mere mortals.

    Anyone that remembers that period will recall that the majority of third
    party lenses were, essentially, more cheaply built and optically not up to
    Asahi's standards. Yes, there were a couple of exceptions, but CZJ, back in
    the days before the fall of the Berlin Wall, were not sold in the US in any
    significant numbers.

    In fact, I remember a letter to the editor at either Pop Photo or Modern
    Photo, where the sender asked what the words "Aus Jena" meant on a lens that
    he had purchased while in Europe. The magazine editors went on to explain
    how Zeiss had been split after WWII--and this, as I recall, was the first
    time I had even heard of CZJ.

    Even though many posters have made favorable comments on CZJ lenses, I have
    yet to see any quotes from published reviews to substantiate those claims.
    Were those East German lenses significantly superior to SMC Takumars? In
    what way? By how much? As tested by whom?

    And, if they were, in fact, so much better, where were they hiding? I do
    not recall seeing them advertised or sold in any significant quantities--and
    I was a regular visitor to camera stores back in those days.

    Jeremy Guest

  4. #24

    Skip Middleton wrote:

    Which do you prefer and why?

    George Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Gijs Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #26

    "T P" <com> schreef in bericht
    > and don 't metion the war!
    >
    > Agree 100%. Maybe you should complain to the German company which has
    > licensed the Voigtländer brand to Cosina.
    >
    > I believe it is called "Ringfoto".
    >
    >[/ref]

    Gijs Guest

  7. #27

    x-no-archive: yes

    > > and don 't metion the war![/ref][/ref]

    That seems to be the way things are, these days.

    Leitz has had some of their bodies and lenses made by Minolta. Zeiss makes
    their lenses in the Far East. My Nikon Lite Touch 140 is made in Malaysia
    (or is it Singapore?), Volkswagens are made in Mexico and Brazil, here in
    North America, and, for a decade, they made the Rabbit in Pennsylvania, my
    Swedish Gevalia coffeemaker is made in China, Hasselblad's X-Pan is made by
    Fuji, Leica's current digital cameras are re-badged Panasonics . . .

    Jeremy Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Lewis Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #29

    "Jeremy" <com> wrote:

    There is a *wealth* of information on the Web about these lenses. The
    only person who would not know that is someone who regularly repeats
    (verbatim) the long-discredited mantra of dubious editorial from old
    and disreputable magazines and never raises his eyes to look
    elsewhere.

    That's you.

    Once again, Jeremy, you demonstrate your profound ignorance. If you
    had any real knowledge of photography, you would of course have
    questioned these shill articles several decades ago, just as everyone
    else has.

    When such ignorance is coupled with an unwillingness to accept any
    other ideas than those in the misleading articles you choose to read,
    the result is a unique combination of ignorance and arrogance that
    means your postings are worse than worthless.

    T Guest

  10. #30

    "Jeremy" <com> wrote:

    And Pentax products are all 100% made in Japan.

    Yeah, right.

    T Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bandicoot Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #32

    x-no-archive: yes

    "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"techemail.com> wrote in message

    of

    Have you ever handled any of the Zeiss lineup? I've repeatedly heard that
    the Takumars were designed to compete with Zeiss lenses, and that the
    designs were all based on Zeiss formulas.

    Somebody recently commented on this NG that Pentax lenses, out of all major
    Japanese brands, had the most "German" signature. Never having handled any
    of the German brands (unlike T.P.) I can only guess at what that means.

    Heck, I don't even know how modern Pentax glass compares with the Takumar
    lenses. I just lost all interest once Pentax changed their mount. If I
    were to trade up, at this point, I think I would pick up some Pentax medium
    format gear--probably 67II--rather than try to eek out a little bit more
    image quality by updating my 35mm gear.

    Of the big names in cameras, only Pentax has followed Zeiss by offering
    photographers an upgrade path into medium format. Oh, well, one day . . .

    Jeremy Guest

  13. #33

    "Jeremy" <com> wrote:

    The trouble is, you believe *almost anything* you hear or read.

    Alas, you appear more inclined to believe things that are untrue.

    The truth is that *almost all* camera lenses are based on Zeiss
    formulae. Until relatively recently, there were very few options for
    designing basic fixed focal lenses and Zeiss had all these covered by
    about 100 years ago.

    To say that Pentax designs are based on Zeiss formulae is like saying
    that all 2003 Chevrolets are based on the formulae of Gottlieb Daimler
    and Karl Benz. Maybe you believe that too?

    T Guest

  14. #34

    The H1 is an example of how new cameras are developed these days. It's
    almost as if Hasselblad set up a virtual corporation for it. The body is
    made by Hasselblad in Sweden, lenses & viewfinder are from Fuji,
    autofocusing is by Minolta, etc. and so forth. It's a new world folks, one
    far removed from the gnomes of Wetzlar and Dresden who made everything in
    one factory.
    Regards
    JB
    > [SNIP]
    >
    > The Hasselblad H1 is made by Fuji too, as are the lenses for it. (Handles
    > beautifully, by the way, not like a Swedish 'blad at all... shame about[/ref]
    the

    Canonman Guest

  15. #35

    x-no-archive: yes
    "Canonman" <net> wrote in message

    I read yesterday, on Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest web site, that the
    reference to Germany was a condition imposed by the trademark holder on
    Cosina. Seems strange, but that may explain this.

    Cosina makes a number of other camera bodies, and they do not represent on
    them that they are made in Germany.

    Maybe it is not a deliberate attempt on Cosina's part to confuse its
    customers after all?

    Jeremy Guest

  16. #36

    "Jeremy" <com> wrote in message

    > I read yesterday, on Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest web site, that the
    > reference to Germany was a condition imposed by the trademark holder on
    > Cosina. Seems strange, but that may explain this.
    >
    > Cosina makes a number of other camera bodies, and they do not represent on
    > them that they are made in Germany.
    >
    > Maybe it is not a deliberate attempt on Cosina's part to confuse its
    > customers after all?
    >
    > I think thats a very good possibility. Thanks for the info.[/ref]
    Regards,
    John Bateson

    Canonman Guest

  17. #37

    "Canonman" <net> wrote:

    This is nothing new. Much of the manufacture of Leica rangefinder
    cameras is done in Portugal, with final assembly at Solms. Carl Zeiss
    lenses are made in Japan at a factory owned by Kyocera and have been
    for some years. Much of the manufacture of Nikon, Canon, Minolta and
    Pentax is done by sub-contractors and has been for many years.

    The photographic industry, like the car industry, was one of the
    leading lights of globalisation - long before anyone coined the word.

    Coming back to the H1, the only question I have is "Why?".

    T Guest

  18. #38

    "Jeremy" <com> wrote:

    Cosina *does not* represent Voigtländer equipment as having been made
    in Germany. Ringfoto, the German owners of the Cosina brand name,
    license it to Cosina for the manufacture and distribution of cameras
    and lenses. The fact that it is licensed to a Japanese company does
    not make the ownership of the brand any less German.

    The Voigtländer brand was German, is German and probably always will
    be German. So is the Carl Zeiss brand, even though the vast majority
    of Carl Zeiss lenses are now made under license by Kyocera of Japan.

    Surely you are not fooled by the Voigtländer logo on the box? I
    suppose that, if *anyone* is going to be fooled, it would be *you*!

    T Guest

  19. #39

    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    > The trouble is, you believe *almost anything* you hear or read.
    >
    > Alas, you appear more inclined to believe things that are untrue.
    >
    > The truth is that *almost all* camera lenses are based on Zeiss
    > formulae. Until relatively recently, there were very few options for
    > designing basic fixed focal lenses and Zeiss had all these covered by
    > about 100 years ago.
    >
    > To say that Pentax designs are based on Zeiss formulae is like saying
    > that all 2003 Chevrolets are based on the formulae of Gottlieb Daimler
    > and Karl Benz. Maybe you believe that too?
    >

    >[/ref]

    All I wanna know is where can I buy this Bessamatic? I got 42mm lenses just
    begging for a brand new body no matter who makes it.

    John Guest

  20. #40

    x-no-archive: yes
    "John Garrison" <adelphia.net> wrote in message

    just

    www.cameraquest.com is the web site that offers it. Also check on eBay
    under keyword Voightlander. He had 5 bodies for sale at $299 apiece, I
    think.

    You sure you want to be the first one to own it? There are bound to be some
    bugs.

    Jeremy Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast