Professional Web Applications Themes

newbe - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Clif Gallagher wrote: > I have just installed debian for the first time. When it loads it loads > only to a command line, Is this normal? if not how do I get to a kde > desktop. I've been searching the manual for hours and just don't have a > good understanding of how Linux works. but determined to get rid of > windows! Thanks Mark To start kde on boot: edit /etc/inittab change the line: id:3:initdefault: to id:5:initdefault: ("3" means multiuser no-X-window mode, "5" - multiuser X-window mode) And then, when you boot and see a login screen, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: newbe

    Clif Gallagher wrote:
    > I have just installed debian for the first time. When it loads it loads
    > only to a command line, Is this normal? if not how do I get to a kde
    > desktop. I've been searching the manual for hours and just don't have a
    > good understanding of how Linux works. but determined to get rid of
    > windows! Thanks Mark
    To start kde on boot: edit /etc/inittab

    change the line:
    id:3:initdefault:

    id:5:initdefault:

    ("3" means multiuser no-X-window mode, "5" - multiuser X-window mode)

    And then, when you boot and see a login screen, set the default desktop
    manager to KDE.

    That should be all.

    Good luck!

    Artemio Guest

  2. #2

    Keith wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:53:37 -0600, Clif Gallagher wrote:
    >

    >>I have just installed debian for the first time. When it loads it loads
    >>only to a command line, Is this normal? if not how do I get to a kde
    >>desktop. I've been searching the manual for hours and just don't have a
    >>good understanding of how Linux works. but determined to get rid of
    >>windows! Thanks Mark
    >>

    > If you installed the X server and software then
    > startx
    > should start up X.
    >
    > To be honest Red Hat or Mandrake is best for newbies and a lot easier to
    > maintain.

    As I understand Marks post, he just has a basic Debian (woody?)
    installation. And iirc he is right, there is no easy to follow howto or
    something how to come from there to a working X Environment - at least
    to one that is not ridiculously outdated.
    So what he needs to know is how to install applications.

    Mark, if these are your first steps in Linux I must admit that my
    predecessor is right, you should first install one of those
    Distributions mentioned above, maybe SuSE is not to bad either, at least
    my father is happy with it.
    There you can slowly dive into the dependencies and configurations of
    Linux applications. You will have a hard live if you try to do this with
    Debian unless you have a really good friend who is patient, able and
    willing to answer all your questions.

    Regards,
    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  3. #3

    Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    > As I understand Marks post, he just has a basic Debian (woody?)
    > installation. And iirc he is right, there is no easy to follow howto or
    > something how to come from there to a working X Environment - at least
    Of course there is. He just has to install the X server. That includes
    a config step! And if he wants to configure it anytime later he has to
    run dpkg-reconfigure. Not that anyone would care, since they can run
    XFree86 -configure right off the bat.
    > to one that is not ridiculously outdated.
    I beg your pardon? Why would "outdated" in the first instance be bad,
    and in the second instance be meaningful? There is nothing good about
    buggy software, you know!
    > So what he needs to know is how to install applications.
    He already knows. "apt-get xserver", for example.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  4. #4

    Artemio wrote:

    > Clif Gallagher wrote:
    >
    > > I have just installed debian for the first time. When it loads it loads
    > > only to a command line, Is this normal? if not how do I get to a kde
    > > desktop. I've been searching the manual for hours and just don't have a
    > > good understanding of how Linux works. but determined to get rid of
    > > windows! Thanks Mark
    >
    > To start kde on boot: edit /etc/inittab
    >
    > change the line:
    > id:3:initdefault:

    > id:5:initdefault:
    >
    > ("3" means multiuser no-X-window mode, "5" - multiuser X-window mode)
    >
    > And then, when you boot and see a login screen, set the default desktop
    > manager to KDE.
    Not all Linux distros use run level numbers to determine whether to
    start XDM and in particular Debian does not "out of the box". Changing
    the run level to 5 in an unmodified Debian system will have no effect
    (and the default is 2 not 3).

    Debian uses the presence or absence of a link to /etc/init.d/xdm (gdm,
    kdm..) in the appropriate run level directory, normally /etc/rc2.d as
    its default run level is 2, to determine whether to start XDM. This will
    normally be there if an XDM server is installed. Of course, you *could*
    set up Debian to behave as you describe but this is not the sort of
    thing that someone posing the original question would be attempting just
    yet.

    To the OP: If you really want graphical login, install an XDM server -
    for instance "apt-get install xdm". The default configuration will give
    you a graphical login. Personally I prefer to use a text login and start
    the X server / desktop manager with "startx" after logging in.

    It has been mentioned previously that Debian is not really targeted at
    newbies and I agree with this. It is a fine distro but it does not hold
    your hand to any noticeable degree and works best if you have some
    experience. Distros like Red Hat and SuSE are easier to approach. At
    work we use SuSE on both servers and workstations and I have a feeling
    that one or two of my colleagues (co-workers for those on the wrong side
    of the Atlantic) would have a bit of trouble with Debian.

    Regards, Ian
    Ian Northeast Guest

  5. #5

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    >>to one that is not ridiculously outdated.
    >

    > I beg your pardon? Why would "outdated" in the first instance be bad,
    > and in the second instance be meaningful? There is nothing good about
    > buggy software, you know!
    I was speaking about the graphical user interface.
    KDE 3.x doesn't exactly behave "buggy" in my daily use, and KDE 2.x is
    ridiculously outdated by the further.
    Does it come with the current stable release of Debian?
    I know the reasons why not, but these reasons lead to an outdated X
    System, which doesn't make Debian (without tinkering) competitive as a
    desktop system, and as such it is definitely not usable for newbies.
    (You wouldn't want to refer to testing or unstable, would you? There is
    nothing good about buggy software!)

    A newbie doesn't know about dpkg-reconfigure and when to use it. Maybe
    it is a long time since you where newbie, but I remember my newbie time
    and Debian is hard stuff. 3 "different" methods (dselect, apt, dpkg)
    each coming with different suboptions where one has no idea how they
    relate to each other or what they do anyway are not easy to manage. Of
    course its not only great but supreme once you know what you're doing,
    but newbies have to do enough to learn that a window manager depends on
    X and that X does not by itself have usable window managers and so on,
    they have to find out package names of the programs which do what they
    want! They don't have nerves to learn the different levels of a
    packaging system.
    Let them use rpm for a while, if they get the hang on Linux they will
    soon ask for a better packaging system. Then point to Debian.

    m2c
    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  6. #6

    Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    >>>to one that is not ridiculously outdated.
    >>

    >> I beg your pardon? Why would "outdated" in the first instance be bad,
    >> and in the second instance be meaningful? There is nothing good about
    >> buggy software, you know!
    > I was speaking about the graphical user interface.
    > KDE 3.x doesn't exactly behave "buggy" in my daily use, and KDE 2.x is
    > ridiculously outdated by the further.
    Why? I use kde 1.1. What's "outdated" about it? I notice nothing it
    lacks. It does everything I want.
    > Does it come with the current stable release of Debian?
    What is that? I use potato. I think the current stable is woody. You
    can compile anything for one distro of debian for another. I'm sure I
    have some recent kdes compiled for my potato on some machines. But just
    go look it up. Why ask me?
    > I know the reasons why not, but these reasons lead to an outdated X
    What's "outdated" about it? Except your concept!
    > System, which doesn't make Debian (without tinkering) competitive as a
    Of course it does.
    > desktop system, and as such it is definitely not usable for newbies.
    Sure it is. What do you think is lacking?
    > (You wouldn't want to refer to testing or unstable, would you? There is
    > nothing good about buggy software!)
    Exactly - so use something stable. That = good.
    > A newbie doesn't know about dpkg-reconfigure and when to use it. Maybe
    So what? All he has to do is install the X server and it'll be
    configured.
    > it is a long time since you where newbie, but I remember my newbie time
    > and Debian is hard stuff. 3 "different" methods (dselect, apt, dpkg)
    Never use anything except apt and dpkg. Apt is all you need.
    > each coming with different suboptions where one has no idea how they
    > relate to each other or what they do anyway are not easy to manage. Of
    Why should one? A simple "apt-get install xserver" will do you. Try
    --reinstall if you want to do it again! Or simply remove and then
    install.
    > course its not only great but supreme once you know what you're doing,
    > but newbies have to do enough to learn that a window manager depends on
    No they don't. They know it.
    > X and that X does not by itself have usable window managers and so on,
    Of course. That's why they should install one.
    > they have to find out package names of the programs which do what they
    For that there is search.
    > want! They don't have nerves to learn the different levels of a
    There aren't any levels, and if they don't want to learn how to
    unpackage their xmas prsent, they won't get any.
    > packaging system.
    > Let them use rpm for a while, if they get the hang on Linux they will
    apt-get works much better than rpm. How is it different?

  7. #7

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Why? I use kde 1.1. What's "outdated" about it? I notice nothing it
    > lacks. It does everything I want.
    Its about comfortability and look. But anyway, if you're happy with it,
    stay so.
    >>desktop system, and as such it is definitely not usable for newbies.
    >

    > Sure it is. What do you think is lacking?
    Well, just go a few threads further than, and explain him how to set up
    sound.
    It's easy, though, he just needs to compile a new kernel :-) which is an
    easy 3-step-task one of them including to know all his hardware.

    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  8. #8

    Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> Why? I use kde 1.1. What's "outdated" about it? I notice nothing it
    >> lacks. It does everything I want.
    > Its about comfortability and look. But anyway, if you're happy with it,
    > stay so.
    >>>desktop system, and as such it is definitely not usable for newbies.
    >>
    >> Sure it is. What do you think is lacking?
    > Well, just go a few threads further than, and explain him how to set up
    > sound.
    I don't understand - sound works fine here.
    > It's easy, though, he just needs to compile a new kernel :-) which is an
    No - you never need to compile a kernel for sound! Load the driver
    (module) and fin. Are you saying that debian doesn't supply all the
    drivers? I don't know - never used a debian kernel package, but I am
    pretty sure that modules come in a separate package from the kernel
    itself. Is that confusing you? I see quite a few module packages
    available.
    > easy 3-step-task one of them including to know all his hardware.
    Well if he doesn't know what his hardware is, what does he know? Does
    he think he has a tv set with a typewriter attached? Let him load the
    driver for his sound card and have an end to it. He must be able to
    read the list of drivers and the list of cards and put the two
    together. What? Oh, you mean he can't /find/ the list of drivers and
    cards ...

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  9. #9

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > I don't understand - sound works fine here.
    I never doubted it. Works perfectly here, too.
    >>It's easy, though, he just needs to compile a new kernel :-) which is an
    >

    > No - you never need to compile a kernel for sound! Load the driver
    > (module) and fin. Are you saying that debian doesn't supply all the
    > drivers? I don't know - never used a debian kernel package, but I am
    > pretty sure that modules come in a separate package from the kernel
    > itself. Is that confusing you? I see quite a few module packages
    > available.
    I admit that I never tried just reloading a module, but assuming we're
    talking about ALSA modules here, every howto I read was starting with
    "first you must recompile your kernel with "support sound" as the only
    option in the sound section".
    And IIRC I read about the day before yesterday that the Debian kernels
    vanilla and ide-pci don't come with sound support at all.
    Sad, that.
    Anyway, at least now you want the newbie to know about kernels and
    kernel modules. An installation which would serve a newbie is where
    during the system setup there is a list of soundcards where he selects
    one and from then on everything works - without adding the user in the
    groups audio and/or cdrom by hand!
    > together. What? Oh, you mean he can't /find/ the list of drivers and
    > cards ...
    You seem to get the idea.

    I never said Debian wouldn't be able to serve fantastically as a
    (Desktop) operation system. But it doesn't do so out of the box, in
    almost every step you need to *know* things, and be it only the
    knowledge where to find things.
    And if the only thing you know about computers is how to double-click
    through the windows explorer it is *not* a trivial task to set up
    Debian. And, in my environment people seem to be able to accept Debian
    better if they used one of the commercial distributions first for some time.

    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  10. #10

    Wolfgang Fischer wrote:

    > KDE provides KDE 3.1 packages for debian. You have to insert a line in
    > your /etc/apt/sources.list, run apt-get update and install kde. See
    > [url]http://kde.org/download/[/url] for more details.
    And from now on you are doing what I called "tinkering with the system"
    in some other post above.

    Is it so difficult to understand that newbies generally are afraid to or
    incapable of "just adding" a line here and there? You know, you need to
    know an editor to do that.
    What I hate most about vi is that on startup there is nowhere a message
    how I can leave it again. I only get "<char> is not a vi command".

    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  11. #11

    Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> No - you never need to compile a kernel for sound! Load the driver
    >> (module) and fin. Are you saying that debian doesn't supply all the
    >> drivers? I don't know - never used a debian kernel package, but I am
    >> pretty sure that modules come in a separate package from the kernel
    >> itself. Is that confusing you? I see quite a few module packages
    >> available.
    > I admit that I never tried just reloading a module, but assuming we're
    > talking about ALSA modules here, every howto I read was starting with
    I thought we were talking about "ordinary" (i.e. OSS) sound drivers.
    > "first you must recompile your kernel with "support sound" as the only
    > option in the sound section".
    It is compiled that way. That's why/how sound drivers are loaded as
    modules.
    > And IIRC I read about the day before yesterday that the Debian kernels
    > vanilla and ide-pci don't come with sound support at all.
    Load a sound module and find out ...
    > Anyway, at least now you want the newbie to know about kernels and
    No, he knows all he needs to know about them. He calls them "drivers".
    Now he needs to know which driver he has to load. It should have come
    on the manufacturers instructions with his soundcard ...
    >> together. What? Oh, you mean he can't /find/ the list of drivers and
    >> cards ...
    > You seem to get the idea.
    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  12. #12

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Load a sound module and find out ...
    I might try that sometime..when I get access to a card that is supported
    by OSS...
    > No, he knows all he needs to know about them. He calls them "drivers".
    > Now he needs to know which driver he has to load. It should have come
    > on the manufacturers instructions with his soundcard ...
    *g* sure
    </irony>

    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  13. #13

    Thomas T. Newman <thomastnewman> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> Load a sound module and find out ...
    > I might try that sometime..when I get access to a card that is supported
    > by OSS...
    Try a soundblaster.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  14. #14

    Default newbe

    I'M having a problem getting the settings right to print out photo in
    photo shop 7.0 i'm getting a green look to the photo's . I'm using a
    epson 2200 could someone tell me the basic settings? Thanks ireally
    need the help
    cliff Guest

  15. #15

    Hi everyone and all,

    I would like to know if something like this is possible. Let say $minus_me
    is an integer from 0 to 15

    $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE Date > NOW() -
    "$minus_me" ;');

    Jean

    [url]http://jeanpierredaviau.com[/url]

    Québec Guest

  16. #16

    I must add I tried it and other possibilities without success.

    Maybe ther is another way to do it.

    Jean

    Québec Guest

  17. #17

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:27:45 -0400, Québec wrote:
    > Hi everyone and all,
    >
    > I would like to know if something like this is possible. Let say
    > $minus_me is an integer from 0 to 15
    >
    > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE Date > NOW() -
    > "$minus_me" ;');
    Your problem arises from using single quotes.

    $result = mysql_query('SELECT * from myTable WHERE Date > NOW() - " .
    $minus_me );

    Also, if $minus_me is coming from a web form, be sure to verify that it
    is, in fact, an integer within your specified range.

    HTH,
    La'ie Techie

    Lāʻie Techie Guest

  18. #18

    "La?ie Techie" <laiewin_remove_get_nospam_solutions.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news:1095829851.Cg6gS4BHmw0Q4Fx4cCQNqAteranews...
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:27:45 -0400, Québec wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone and all,
    > >
    > > I would like to know if something like this is possible. Let say
    > > $minus_me is an integer from 0 to 15
    > >
    > > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE Date > NOW() -
    > > "$minus_me" ;');
    >
    > Your problem arises from using single quotes.
    >
    > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * from myTable WHERE Date > NOW() - " .
    > $minus_me );
    >
    > Also, if $minus_me is coming from a web form, be sure to verify that it
    > is, in fact, an integer within your specified range.
    >
    > HTH,
    > La'ie Techie

    $minusInt = (int)($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']+1);
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM etudiants WHERE date > NOW()-
    '$minusInt';");

    Thank you very much,

    Jean Pierre

    Québec Guest

  19. #19

    Look for DATEADD in the MySQL manual

    -Charles

    "Québec" <OnceWasEno.ugh> wrote in message
    news:yTk4d.65356$ir6.2219198wagner.videotron.net. ..

    > "La?ie Techie" <laiewin_remove_get_nospam_solutions.com> a écrit dans le
    > message de news:1095829851.Cg6gS4BHmw0Q4Fx4cCQNqAteranews...
    > > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:27:45 -0400, Québec wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi everyone and all,
    > > >
    > > > I would like to know if something like this is possible. Let say
    > > > $minus_me is an integer from 0 to 15
    > > >
    > > > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE Date > NOW() -
    > > > "$minus_me" ;');
    > >
    > > Your problem arises from using single quotes.
    > >
    > > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * from myTable WHERE Date > NOW() - " .
    > > $minus_me );
    > >
    > > Also, if $minus_me is coming from a web form, be sure to verify that it
    > > is, in fact, an integer within your specified range.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > La'ie Techie
    > >

    > $minusInt = (int)($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']+1);
    > $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM etudiants WHERE date > NOW()-
    > '$minusInt';");
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Jean Pierre

    Charles Pelkey Guest

  20. #20

    Thanks,

    Jean Pierre

    Or are you talking
    "Charles Pelkey" <c.e.pelkeysbcglobal.net> a écrit dans le message de
    news:OpG5d.13763$yp2.12992newssvr30.news.prodigy. com...
    > Look for DATEADD in the MySQL manual
    >
    > -Charles
    >
    > "Québec" <OnceWasEno.ugh> wrote in message
    > news:yTk4d.65356$ir6.2219198wagner.videotron.net. ..
    > >
    > > "La?ie Techie" <laiewin_remove_get_nospam_solutions.com> a écrit dans
    le
    > > message de news:1095829851.Cg6gS4BHmw0Q4Fx4cCQNqAteranews...

    > > > Your problem arises from using single quotes.
    > > >
    > > > $result = mysql_query('SELECT * from myTable WHERE Date > NOW() - " .
    > > > $minus_me );
    > > >
    > > > Also, if $minus_me is coming from a web form, be sure to verify that
    it
    > > > is, in fact, an integer within your specified range.
    > > >
    > > > HTH,
    > > > La'ie Techie
    > > >

    > > $minusInt = (int)($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']+1);
    > > $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM etudiants WHERE date > NOW()-
    > > '$minusInt';");
    > >
    > > Thank you very much,
    > >
    > > Jean Pierre

    Québec Guest