Professional Web Applications Themes

NewBee Printing Help Needed - Adobe Indesign Windows

We have a high end (2 sided capable) Xerox 7750 Printer. We are designing a Theater Program for a Theater Group, about 44 Pages. The Book is similar to a Playbill 8 1/2 x x11 (folded in half) When we try to print the spread, (the first 10 pages), the Front Cover should be married to the back cover, page 2 should be printed with its opposite, so when the book is folded and stapled it should look, well... like a book. Can anyone please clue us in as to what is going on and if there are settings we ...

  1. #1

    Default NewBee Printing Help Needed

    We have a high end (2 sided capable) Xerox 7750 Printer. We are designing a Theater Program for a Theater Group, about 44 Pages.

    The Book is similar to a Playbill 8 1/2 x x11 (folded in half)
    When we try to print the spread, (the first 10 pages), the Front Cover should be married to the back cover, page 2 should be printed with its opposite, so when the book is folded and stapled it should look, well... like a book. Can anyone please clue us in as to what is going on and if there are settings we should be looking at.

    Is our layout the issue? The program is working great for us. I'm not an expert, but this issue is eluding me.

    Best regards to all!

    Rob Feiner
    NET*ONE
    Rob_Feiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: NewBee Printing Help Needed

    Rob, you could have several problems going on here.
    First, your doent set-up should have facing pages selected and your doent size is the size of your actual page -- 4-1/4 x 11.
    Second, if your printer does not impose the pages (put them in printer spreads), you would have to do that using a page imposition program, or if you're using ID CS2 -- the InBookletSE plug-in.
    Third, if you have imposed the doent, printing the first 10 pages of the doent will give you 10 pages plus 2 blank pages.

    If you post more information including the version of ID you're working with, the size of your doent page, and how you're trying to print, you could probably get more help with your problem.

    Rosemary
    Rosemary_Griffis@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    the size of your actual page -- 4-1/4 x 11

    Or perhaps 5.5" x 8.5", if you're folding it the other way.

    Here's a quick way to understand the concept better: As Rosemary said, printing this way requires pages in multiples of 4. So you need to go up to 12. Four "pages" will fit on a single 8.5 x 11. Take 3 blank pieces of 8.5 x 11 paper, and fold them in half, making yourself a blank booklet. Now, on the cover, write "1". Flip through your whole "book" numbering each page up to 12. Now separate the three pieces of paper. You'll see which page needs to print next to which page. (This is called a printing dummy.)
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have the Doent set up to "letter-Half"
    I am using In Design 3.0.1 CS.
    I do not know anything about imposing pages. And it seems really stupid that I should have to. A SMART piece of software would layout
    the pages as I see hem, and Print them in a book form if so selected... wouldn't ya think?
    So much for spending $1200 for a creative package that's not really intuitive.
    Ok, so off my rant and back to my problem.

    I have this Amazing printer the 7750GX Xerox. How do I "impose"
    printing?

    Here's the doent set-up:
    Pages=42
    Facing=yes
    Page size=letter-half
    width=5.5
    height=8.5
    Orientation-Portrate
    Bleed and Slug = ALL Zeros

    In the Floating Option Box on the top left, I have a correctly sized
    Cover Picture, and then the pages follow suit
    2-3
    4-5
    etc.
    I have placed copy and ad's in various pages. and everything prints
    in the correct size.
    Here's where everything falls apart. Once I print. A Left Cover
    should be on the left side of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper but it's on the right.
    Rosemary, I really appreciate your help here, and everyone else who
    pulls together to get me off the gallows. I'm doing a program for a Kid's theater program, and I'm a little out of my element here.
    Video is another story... We have 5 Emmy's and what the &$!! are they good for??

    Thnks!!

    Rob
    Rob_Feiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    A SMART piece of software would layout the pages as I see hem, and Print
    them in a book form if so selected... wouldn't ya think?

    Not necessarily, because professional printers (and absolutely no disrespect meant to you there Rob!) each prefer to do imposition their own way, and have their own software to do it. They don't want the designers messing with it! On the other hand, there are times when us lowly InDesign users want to impose, thus the new functionality in CS2, and the InBooklet plug-in with CS.

    I'm sure others will pipe in who have more experience with the InBooklet plug-in. I, so far, have been able to leave the imposition up to the printer.
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Rob, don't forget as Lisa explained, the number of pages in the doent needs to be in multiples of four, whether you're imposing the pages or your print service is. Without seeing your doent, you could possibly leave the inside front and back covers blank. That would give you 44 pages on 11 pieces of paper.

    I've done many, many booklets of this size in several different programs, however I've not used ID CS2's InBooklet plug-in, but I'm looking forward to using it in the near future. Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.

  7. #7

    Rob Feiner,

    If you don't have InBooklet, use Dave Saunders script. You find it here:

    Teus de Jong, "How to create Catalog 2 side printing layout" #92, 29 May 2005 11:16 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bb789b1/91>

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    But, you might have InBooklet. It would be on the PageMaker plug-in pack that wa available for CS1. Depending on when you bought ID, it was either an option or came included. Check and see. If you have it and have installed it, InBooklet will be at the bottom of the file menu.

    ~Nick
    nick@marketingdurango.com Guest

  9. #9

    Rob,

    We use the booklet format all the time in InDesign CS. I prefer to create facing pages and then prepare a PDF file for print. I then use a plug-in product called Quite Imposing from England. Inexpensive and very good. It will book the doent in the page layout you will need. Print it two sided on your XEROX 7750 and you are all set. Works great. I have a 7700 and we do it all the time. The good thing about using the PDF for the booking, is that you can save the PDF file, update pages as needed, and then rebook it when you want.
    KEN PANTHEN, Albany, NY
    Kenneth_Panthen@adobeforums.com Guest