Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie 2003 Setup Questions - SUSE - Part I - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Ok, I have decided to take the plunge and install linux. This is my first venturte into this so make sure you type responses slowly so I can keep up, in other words, don't assume I know anything. <g> BTW it is also my first server setup period from the ground up so I have no setup knowledge about MS or Linux websites,newsgroups,etc. I have decided on SUSE 8.0 and have completed the ftp install. 1. SUSE Online doentation - Is there any for the free download? Basic Setup, and http server setup would be good fo now. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie 2003 Setup Questions - SUSE - Part I

    Ok, I have decided to take the plunge and install linux. This is my
    first venturte into this so make sure you type responses slowly so I
    can keep up, in other words, don't assume I know anything. <g> BTW it
    is also my first server setup period from the ground up so I have no
    setup knowledge about MS or Linux websites,newsgroups,etc.

    I have decided on SUSE 8.0 and have completed the ftp install.

    1. SUSE Online doentation - Is there any for the free download?
    Basic Setup, and http server setup would be good fo now. I have
    searched around their site but cannot find any. I'd like to find some
    downloadable PDF's.

    2. ISO Images - While I have completed a FTP installation but was
    still wondering, are there ISO images that can be downloaded
    somewhere? If I want to reinstall it would be nice to do it from
    disks.

    3. Current Issue - Network Card Setup - RTL 8139, Under Automatic
    address setup (via DHCP) I can get a stable connection, however when I
    try to assign a static address to the router outside the DHCP range
    (192.168.2.10) the conection won't work. I am doing everything by IP
    address, no name server. I have entered the default gateway as
    192.168.2.1 and the Host name is localhost Domain name is localdomain
    and in the Name server list 192.168.2.1 appears with nothing in the
    Domain Search list.

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie 2003 Setup Questions - SUSE - Part I

    The main source of Linux doentation is TLDP - The Linux Doentation
    Project - [url]http://www.tldp.org[/url].

    There you will find two very important sections: HOWTO/mini-HOWTO and
    guides/tutorials.

    HOWTO doents are small (or relatively small, some take up to 150 pages)
    guides targeted at one rather narrow topic. There's a
    Networking-Overview-HOWTO and CD-Writing-HOWTO, along with Sound-HOWTO, and
    you should understand what these doents are for.

    Guides that will be important and very useful for you are:
    Linux CookBook
    Introduction to Linux
    Linux Newbie Admin's Guide
    Linux Network Admin's Guide
    Linux: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition (great huge 600+ page manual)

    If you are not able to find one of these, please feel free to write me back
    to <artemioartemio.net> and I will send them to you with pleasure.

    Good luck!

    Artemio.

    Artemio Guest

  3. #3

    Andrew wrote:
    > 2. ISO Images - While I have completed a FTP installation but was
    > still wondering, are there ISO images that can be downloaded
    > somewhere? If I want to reinstall it would be nice to do it from
    > disks.
    SuSE do not make ISO images available for download. If you can find
    someone with the CDs you can legally copy them, as long as no charge is
    made.

    Regards, Ian
    Ian Northeast Guest

  4. #4

    Andrew wrote:
    > I have decided on SUSE 8.0 and have completed the ftp install.
    .... od 8.2
    > 1. SUSE Online doentation - Is there any for the free download?
    ....not sure, should be after installed. also, get the file
    called ls-Ral.gz and uncompress it from ftp.suse.com/pub.
    you can then search this file (ls-Ral.txt) for software.
    > 2. ISO Images - While I have completed a FTP installation but was
    > still wondering, are there ISO images that can be downloaded
    > somewhere? If I want to reinstall it would be nice to do it from
    > disks.
    .... no
    > 3. Current Issue - Network Card Setup - RTL 8139, Under Automatic
    > address setup (via DHCP) I can get a stable connection, however when I
    > try to assign a static address to the router outside the DHCP range
    > (192.168.2.10) the conection won't work. I am doing everything by IP
    > address, no name server. I have entered the default gateway as
    > 192.168.2.1 and the Host name is localhost Domain name is localdomain
    > and in the Name server list 192.168.2.1 appears with nothing in the
    > Domain Search list.
    .... not really sure what you're saying here. setup your router to
    sign in to your ISP accordingly. if you want to setup your box for
    a static IP to the router, go with 192.168.1.10x (x=1,2,etc),
    the gateway as 192.168.1.1, and fill in any name servers. do all
    this on your network-card configuration through yast.
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.
    -- Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, UTCS

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    > SuSE do not make ISO images available for download. If you can find
    > someone with the CDs you can legally copy them, as long as no charge is
    > made.
    >
    > Regards, Ian

    Andrew Finn Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks, I'll check these out.
    Andrew

    "Artemio" <artemioartemio.net> wrote in message
    > The main source of Linux doentation is TLDP - The Linux Doentation
    > Project - [url]http://www.tldp.org[/url].
    >
    > There you will find two very important sections: HOWTO/mini-HOWTO and
    > guides/tutorials.
    >
    > HOWTO doents are small (or relatively small, some take up to 150 pages)
    > guides targeted at one rather narrow topic. There's a
    > Networking-Overview-HOWTO and CD-Writing-HOWTO, along with Sound-HOWTO,
    and
    > you should understand what these doents are for.
    >
    > Guides that will be important and very useful for you are:
    > Linux CookBook
    > Introduction to Linux
    > Linux Newbie Admin's Guide
    > Linux Network Admin's Guide
    > Linux: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition (great huge 600+ page manual)
    >

    > If you are not able to find one of these, please feel free to write me
    back
    > to <artemioartemio.net> and I will send them to you with pleasure.
    >

    > Good luck!
    >
    > Artemio.

    Andrew Finn Guest