Professional Web Applications Themes

newbie asks: pentax lenses for hiking? monopods? - Photography

I'm considering a few different options for taking on a hiking trip this fall: Pentax 75-150 M F4 Pentax 70-210 A F4 Pentax 200 M F4 Vivitar 100 F3.5 Macro (I'm open to suggestions too.) I currently own a Pentax 135/3.5, 50/2 and 35/3.5. I intend to take the 50 and 35 hiking, but I'm debating about the above 4-5 lenses. I'd be very excited about the 70-210 if I wasn't so concerned about the weight...not so much for carrying, but for actually taking the shot. I do bring and use a tripod for shooting, but I like to hand-hold ...

  1. #1

    Default newbie asks: pentax lenses for hiking? monopods?

    I'm considering a few different options for taking on a hiking trip this
    fall:
    Pentax 75-150 M F4
    Pentax 70-210 A F4
    Pentax 200 M F4
    Vivitar 100 F3.5 Macro
    (I'm open to suggestions too.)

    I currently own a Pentax 135/3.5, 50/2 and 35/3.5. I intend to take the 50
    and 35 hiking, but I'm debating about the above 4-5 lenses.

    I'd be very excited about the 70-210 if I wasn't so concerned about the
    weight...not so much for carrying, but for actually taking the shot. I do
    bring and use a tripod for shooting, but I like to hand-hold certain shots.
    Would a monopod be a good thing to bring instead? Or are they so tricky to
    use on a manual focus camera that it isn't worth it? Do they provide even
    close to the stability as a cheap-o cut-rate tripod like my $40 mini tripod?

    Am I dreaming to think I could hand hold ANY of the above lenses even if
    they're lighter than the 75-210?

    Be kind and specific...I'm new to REAL photography.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    SEstes Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: newbie asks: pentax lenses for hiking? monopods?

    Welcome to the world of photography! Hope you enjoy your hiking trip.

    Hmmmm, not sure about that Vivitar choice. Have a couple of Vivitar Series 1
    lenses myself. They generally yield disappointing results, especially with
    macro shots. These are now the lenses that I take out with my "beater"
    camera on the kayak (before anyone comments, you should know how
    uncoordinated I can be sometimes). While 3rd party lenses are generally not
    as good as those from the camera manufacturers (Pentax, Nikon, Canon,
    Minolta), there are still some much better choices than the Vivitar option
    (that include macro options). I guess the real question to me would be,
    what do you shoot? Most of what I shoot is while hiking. The lenses I use
    most are wide-short tele zooms (24-70, 28-135, etc). While I carry a 70-300
    ED lens, it is actually the one I use the least. I am far more likely to go
    to a wider lens (say for a canyon shot or something like that) than a longer
    lens. It should be noted though that most of my shots are landscapes, not
    wildlife.

    As for the monopod, they do help. Are they as stable as a tripod? Not even
    close. If you can brace against something then you can get a pretty long
    exposure with a m-pod. Once in a while I will leave my tripod behind in the
    interest of weight and time. This forces me to shoot differently, look at
    things with a new perspective. If there is something that requires a long
    exposure though, I take several shots. Using a monopod I find that I manage
    to get one out of every three to five shots (if unsupported against a tree
    or something) to turn out well once the shutter speed drops below 1/4 sec.
    If you have a more stable hand than I do, your success rate could be higher.
    The m-pod I use is a biggie, Mannfrotto's 3218 with a small ballhead (484).
    This thing is actually strong enough that it is what I use for a walking
    stick as well (probably not recommended by Bogen but it works for me), and I
    am not a lightweight guy. That means that most of the time I have a tripod
    strapped to by backpack and a m-pod in my hand.

    Hope this helps, they are just some rambling thoughts...... You may want to
    post some more specific gear-related questions once you think about your
    plans a little more.

    Good luck,
    Bill

    --

    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

    "SEstes" <steve.estesattbi.com> wrote in message
    > I'm considering a few different options for taking on a hiking trip this
    > fall:
    > Pentax 75-150 M F4
    > Pentax 70-210 A F4
    > Pentax 200 M F4
    > Vivitar 100 F3.5 Macro
    > (I'm open to suggestions too.)
    >
    > I currently own a Pentax 135/3.5, 50/2 and 35/3.5. I intend to take the
    50
    > and 35 hiking, but I'm debating about the above 4-5 lenses.
    >
    > I'd be very excited about the 70-210 if I wasn't so concerned about the
    > weight...not so much for carrying, but for actually taking the shot. I do
    > bring and use a tripod for shooting, but I like to hand-hold certain
    shots.
    > Would a monopod be a good thing to bring instead? Or are they so tricky
    > use on a manual focus camera that it isn't worth it? Do they provide even
    > close to the stability as a cheap-o cut-rate tripod like my $40 mini
    tripod?

    > Am I dreaming to think I could hand hold ANY of the above lenses even if
    > they're lighter than the 75-210?
    >
    > Be kind and specific...I'm new to REAL photography.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Wm Gardner Guest

  3. #3

    I'd take along the 200 and the 100 macro in addition to your 135, 50, and
    35. However, I don't think you're likely to use the 200 that much. The
    zooms just duplicate what you have in fixed length and are considerably
    heavier.

    In general I agree that Vivitar isn't top of the line, though it used to be
    the case that the Series 1 lenses were quite good. I had a 28-70 f2.8
    Series 1 which was the best zoom in that focal range I've used with the
    exception of my current Contax zooms.

    A monopod certainly ain't no tripod but for shaky handed me who can hand
    hold a 50mm at 1/60 only with luck, a monopod allows the use of 1/15-1/8
    exposures without noticeable blur. Monopods can be quite handy can be quite
    handy. If your taking 400+ speed film on a hike a monopod may be all you
    need. It depends on the kinds of shots you like to take.

    Britt

    Britt Park Guest

  4. #4

    The only Series 1 lens I ever heard anything good about was the 28-105
    which was really good. I shot it at a university and had good results
    considering that it is not a Nikon lens.

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:41:45 GMT, "Wm Gardner"
    <WmGardnersend-no-spam.insightbb.com> wrote:
    >Welcome to the world of photography! Hope you enjoy your hiking trip.
    >
    >Hmmmm, not sure about that Vivitar choice. Have a couple of Vivitar Series 1
    >lenses myself. They generally yield disappointing results, especially with
    >macro shots. These are now the lenses that I take out with my "beater"
    >camera on the kayak (before anyone comments, you should know how
    >uncoordinated I can be sometimes). While 3rd party lenses are generally not
    >as good as those from the camera manufacturers (Pentax, Nikon, Canon,
    >Minolta), there are still some much better choices than the Vivitar option
    >(that include macro options). I guess the real question to me would be,
    >what do you shoot? Most of what I shoot is while hiking. The lenses I use
    >most are wide-short tele zooms (24-70, 28-135, etc). While I carry a 70-300
    >ED lens, it is actually the one I use the least. I am far more likely to go
    >to a wider lens (say for a canyon shot or something like that) than a longer
    >lens. It should be noted though that most of my shots are landscapes, not
    >wildlife.
    >
    >As for the monopod, they do help. Are they as stable as a tripod? Not even
    >close. If you can brace against something then you can get a pretty long
    >exposure with a m-pod. Once in a while I will leave my tripod behind in the
    >interest of weight and time. This forces me to shoot differently, look at
    >things with a new perspective. If there is something that requires a long
    >exposure though, I take several shots. Using a monopod I find that I manage
    >to get one out of every three to five shots (if unsupported against a tree
    >or something) to turn out well once the shutter speed drops below 1/4 sec.
    >If you have a more stable hand than I do, your success rate could be higher.
    >The m-pod I use is a biggie, Mannfrotto's 3218 with a small ballhead (484).
    >This thing is actually strong enough that it is what I use for a walking
    >stick as well (probably not recommended by Bogen but it works for me), and I
    >am not a lightweight guy. That means that most of the time I have a tripod
    >strapped to by backpack and a m-pod in my hand.
    >
    >Hope this helps, they are just some rambling thoughts...... You may want to
    >post some more specific gear-related questions once you think about your
    >plans a little more.
    >
    >Good luck,
    >Bill
    Lawrence A. Ramsey Guest