Professional Web Applications Themes

newbie - button problems - Macromedia Flash

I am trying to modify a flash template I bought and I have hit a brick wall...I have not flashed since flash 4 but have now got MX. I cant remeber how to get my buttons working. The file has five or six buttons on a navbar that all use the same instance for the button. So everytime I create a diferenet goto url, they all change because they are based on the same instance. Is there a way of copying the instant and renaming it so it becomes indipendant as when I choose "duplicate" , they all remain linked ...

  1. #1

    Default newbie - button problems

    I am trying to modify a flash template I bought and I have hit a brick
    wall...I have not flashed since flash 4 but have now got MX. I cant remeber
    how to get my buttons working. The file has five or six buttons on a navbar
    that all use the same instance for the button. So everytime I create a
    diferenet goto url, they all change because they are based on the same
    instance. Is there a way of copying the instant and renaming it so it
    becomes indipendant as when I choose "duplicate" , they all remain linked -
    I change one url - they all change

    Aaagh...this program drives me nuts

    PS:- CAn anybody recommend a good book for flash MX

    Naughtydog

    naughtydog Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: newbie - button problems

    leave your buttons where they are but change them to movie clips. then
    make an invisible button, make 6 instances and place one over each of
    your MC buttons. stick your getURL code on each.

    now you can change the graphic look of your buttons at it's source
    without affecting where each button goes.

    Nex

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:21:52 -0000, "naughtydog"
    <nicknaughtydog.co.uk> wrote:
    >I am trying to modify a flash template I bought and I have hit a brick
    >wall...I have not flashed since flash 4 but have now got MX. I cant remeber
    >how to get my buttons working. The file has five or six buttons on a navbar
    >that all use the same instance for the button. So everytime I create a
    >diferenet goto url, they all change because they are based on the same
    >instance. Is there a way of copying the instant and renaming it so it
    >becomes indipendant as when I choose "duplicate" , they all remain linked -
    >I change one url - they all change
    >
    >Aaagh...this program drives me nuts
    >
    >PS:- CAn anybody recommend a good book for flash MX
    >
    >Naughtydog

    Nex Guest

  3. #3

    sorted it now thanks

    naughtydog

    "Nex" <yeahrightnottelling.com> wrote in message

    > leave your buttons where they are but change them to movie clips. then
    > make an invisible button, make 6 instances and place one over each of
    > your MC buttons. stick your getURL code on each.
    >
    > now you can change the graphic look of your buttons at it's source
    > without affecting where each button goes.
    >

    > Nex
    >

    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:21:52 -0000, "naughtydog"
    > <nicknaughtydog.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to modify a flash template I bought and I have hit a brick
    > >wall...I have not flashed since flash 4 but have now got MX. I cant
    remeber
    > >how to get my buttons working. The file has five or six buttons on a
    navbar
    > >that all use the same instance for the button. So everytime I create a
    > >diferenet goto url, they all change because they are based on the same
    > >instance. Is there a way of copying the instant and renaming it so it
    > >becomes indipendant as when I choose "duplicate" , they all remain
    linked -
    > >I change one url - they all change
    > >
    > >Aaagh...this program drives me nuts
    > >
    > >PS:- CAn anybody recommend a good book for flash MX
    > >
    > >Naughtydog

    naughtydog Guest