Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie File Size question animations - Macromedia Fireworks

Is there anywhere I can find a list of how items contribute to file size of animated gifs. I am a teacher and just had students optimize animations as animated gifs and was floored by the file sizes. I have learned from this forum that TRANSPARENCY costs a lot, but what other items should I consider? Number of frames certainly, number of layers? How much do these contribute? Does the type of animation such as a rotation or a move contribute? Number of colors? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Newbie File Size question animations

    Is there anywhere I can find a list of how items contribute to file size of animated gifs. I am a teacher and just had students optimize animations as animated gifs and was floored by the file sizes. I have learned from this forum that TRANSPARENCY costs a lot, but what other items should I consider? Number of frames certainly, number of layers? How much do these contribute? Does the type of animation such as a rotation or a move contribute? Number of colors?

    Thanks in advance.

    F.lea Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie File Size question animations

    "F.lea Bailey" com wrote:

    Number of frames, overall dimensions of the animation (height & width),
    number of colors, whether or not file size enlargers like gradients &
    drop shadows have been used. The number of layers doesn't necessarily
    contribute to file size, nor does the type of animation.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    And its orientation. An image with vertical stripes will be much larger
    than the same image rotated 90 degrees, when made into a GIF file.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Roy Reed" <co.uk> wrote in message

    > > Number of frames, overall dimensions of the animation (height &
    > > width), number of colors, whether or not file size enlargers like
    > > gradients & drop shadows have been used. The number of layers doesn't
    > > necessarily contribute to file size, nor does the type of animation.[/ref]
    >
    > Also the pattern (if any) in the image can make a big difference to the
    > amount of compression that the GIF algorithm can apply. See here for some
    > examples:
    >
    > www.killersites.com/killerSites/1-design/gif_compress.html
    >
    > --
    > Must fly
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > www.reeddesign.co.uk
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    > Number of frames, overall dimensions of the animation (height &
    > width), number of colors, whether or not file size enlargers like
    > gradients & drop shadows have been used. The number of layers doesn't
    > necessarily contribute to file size, nor does the type of animation.[/ref]

    Also the pattern (if any) in the image can make a big difference to the
    amount of compression that the GIF algorithm can apply. See here for some
    examples:

    www.killersites.com/killerSites/1-design/gif_compress.html

    --
    Must fly