Professional Web Applications Themes

newbie for CFMX the very basics - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I use Studio MX I have Access 2000 I have Windows HOME XP (and I learned that I can't use PWS on it) I hope to learn to create a database and connect a site made in DWMX using CF. I understand from this following page [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/resources/get_started/articles/easy_steps.html[/url] that I need a web server. I'm getting confused as I search the net about this. One thread lead me to believe that my Studio MX has everything I need (but I'm not so sure, since I am on xp home). I'm wondering what my options are. I'm also wondering : If I ...

  1. #1

    Default newbie for CFMX the very basics

    I use Studio MX
    I have Access 2000
    I have Windows HOME XP (and I learned that I can't use PWS on it)

    I hope to learn to create a database and connect a site made in DWMX using CF.

    I understand from this following page

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/resources/get_started/articles/easy_steps.html[/url]

    that I need a web server. I'm getting confused as I search the net about this. One thread lead me to believe that my Studio MX has everything I need (but I'm not so sure, since I am on xp home).

    I'm wondering what my options are.

    I'm also wondering : If I purchase web hosting on a site that offers support for CF can I successfully create my site, or will I be working in the dark totally until my files are on the server: That is, as I create, will I see only the authoring environment, or

    can I see anything myself in the browser as I do for static pages?

    I would like to hear from others who have started out new.

    I've seen another thread suggest putting Apache on my system. I guess that means it would run with CF.

    What's my best bet for now?

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: newbie for CFMX the very basics

    Linque -

    You can install ColdFusion MX Server on your local machine (with XP Home) in
    "Standalone Mode" and a web server is included, so you'll be all set,
    web-server-wise.
    > I'm also wondering : If I purchase web hosting on a site that offers
    support for CF can I successfully create my site, or will I be working in
    the dark totally until my files are on the server: That is, as I create,
    will I see only the authoring environment, or

    When you install CFMX Server, that allows you to see your pages locally just
    as they will look when you upload them to a remote server. So you are
    definitely not in the dark.

    Hope that might help.

    --
    Ptty Ayers
    [url]http://www.WebDevBiz.com[/url]

    P@tty *TWB* Guest

  3. #3

    I am not too sure about XP Home,

    But MX Suite does inclide het developers version of hte cf server (author it in Dreamweaver)

    The path to your page should be [url]http://localhost:8500/what[/url] ever page

    If you installed the cfserver then open your browser and type in [url]http://localhost:8500[/url] this should bring up an index of page.

    or go to the admin area (start>programs>macromedia coldfusion mx>administrator, and it will ask for your password that you stated upon instal and if that opens fine, there is a sample applications that you can test the imstalation with.

    I hope this helps/

    odeathoflife Guest

  4. #4

    well.......... im getting there, but guess what.. I installed cf so long ago, I have no idea what I made the password!!! any suggestions about what to do. ??

    thanks for your help!!

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    there is something you can do to reset teh cf ppassword, just not too sure what it is but it has been covered here a couple of time, search the forum for CF+Lost Password or admin password or similar it will sure to turn something up ( you should move over to the coldfusion forum as well, as this one is basically for dreamweaver issues which range from html-asp-php etc...)

    odeathoflife Guest

  6. #6

    imagine! I was able to help myself!

    so I will paste the info I found below:
    How to reset a ColdFusion Administrator Password by Ramon

    **You must have access to the registry or the main installation folder for coldfusion**

    If you have ColdFusion MX follow step 1 or if you have ColdFusion 5 or earlier follow step 2.

    Step 1: To reset your password in CF MX, go to C:\CFusionMX\lib where C is your installation drive. Then find the file neo-security.xml and you are going to have to edit the code in this doent. look for the line

    <var name="admin.security.enabled">
    <boolean value="true" />
    </var>

    then change the boolean value from true to false. Restart the ColdFusion Server. You should now be able to change your password. If you can't, you can go directly to the page: localhost/CFIDE/administrator/security/cfadminpassword.cfm

    this worked!!

    not only that.. hard to believe, but I found the stray paper that had my password.. a miracle!

    I am about to post a new thread regarding cf/access/migrating to a bigger database.

    Thanks for your swift help!

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    thank you very much Patty