Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie - help please - Macromedia Flash

I am reading, but struggling to understand how Flash is arranged. Is it possible to define and control the screen/stage/timeline etc and to 'do virtually everything in code'? If I wanted to put a square on the screen, can you simply take advantage of default settings and directly code something like - Stage.scaleMode = "noScale"; Stage.align = "TL"; this.createEmptyMovieClip("myBox", ...); myBox.moveTo(100, 10); save it, and run it? If not, what would be missing? Can anyone give me an example 'of the simplest possible' way and the steps to do something like that in actionscript code. Many thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie - help please

    I am reading, but struggling to understand how Flash is arranged.

    Is it possible to define and control the screen/stage/timeline etc and
    to 'do virtually everything in code'?

    If I wanted to put a square on the screen, can you simply take
    advantage of default settings and directly code something like -

    Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
    Stage.align = "TL";
    this.createEmptyMovieClip("myBox", ...);
    myBox.moveTo(100, 10);

    save it, and run it?

    If not, what would be missing? Can anyone give me an example 'of the
    simplest possible' way and the steps to do something like that in
    actionscript code.

    Many thanks in advance

    Kenny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie - help please

    Yes, in essence you could script an entire movie. I wouldn't recommend
    it, as technically you would have to draw it all out anyhow, though it
    could be done utilizing the flash drawing API. I have never used it
    personally, though you may want to check out chattyfig.org,
    were-here.com, flashkit.com, etc...

    The code that you have there would produce a few errors and despite the
    errors would not produce anything visible on the stage. Save for the
    errors, it would produce an empty movie clip with no graphic
    representation on the screen. At any rate, play with the actionscript
    to figure out what works and perhaps do a few tutorials. Anything that
    you can do in the creation environment you can do in code.

    metagrapher@gmail.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi metagrapher

    That simple statement answers a lot of questions for me, as I have
    never seen an application driven with so many panels and dialog boxes
    in my life (for the simplest tasks I meant).

    Since seeing your reply, I got coding can now see the way the beast
    works.

    Many thanks for your guidance.

    Kenny

    Kenny Guest