Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie installing Woody - "failed while saving dbootstrap settingsin %s" - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Yes I'm a newbie, attempting to install Debian Woody on a discarded Pentium III MMX, with a SCSI CD-ROM and an internal IDE. I'm not really sure I did the partition right, but I'm past that now, and I can t get past "failed while saving dbootstrap settings in %s" while attempting to install the kernel and modules. I googled comp.os.linux.setup for that error message, and didn't find an answer I could use. Any and all comments are deeply appreciated! Artie Turner...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie installing Woody - "failed while saving dbootstrap settingsin %s"

    Yes I'm a newbie, attempting to install Debian Woody on a discarded
    Pentium III MMX, with a SCSI CD-ROM and an internal IDE. I'm not really
    sure I did the partition right, but I'm past that now, and I can t get
    past "failed while saving dbootstrap settings in %s" while attempting to
    install the kernel and modules.

    I googled comp.os.linux.setup for that error message, and didn't find an
    answer I could use.

    Any and all comments are deeply appreciated!

    Artie Turner

    Artie Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:45:39 GMT, Artie Turner <nyet> wrote:

    I think the Dodgers are going to win the World Series.

    --
    Alan C
    Post validation at http://tinyurl.com/rv0y

  3. #3

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:45:39 GMT, Artie Turner <nyet> wrote:

    :-) couldn't resist. You DID say "any and all comments...."

    Seems like you aren't using the regular install program for Debian.

    You've been taking notes, right?

    Describe the steps you've taken. Did you toggle the right partition bootable?

  4. #4

    Alan Connor wrote:

    I did ask for that, strictly speaking...

    Sometimes is doesn't accept "vanilla" at the boot prompt, so I just hit
    return and continue. Is that a mistake? I've been starting over a few
    times now.

    I partitioned a 10 Meg bootable, a 512 M swap, and the rest is "/" at
    least that's what I think I've done. I thought the drive on this old PC
    was a 20 gig, but in the partition utility , all I see is 2000 Meg .
    which is "only" 2 gig. Right?

    Thanks for your time and advice!

    Artie

    Artie Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:57:30 GMT, Artie Turner <nyet> wrote:

    > I did ask for that, strictly speaking...
    >
    > Sometimes is doesn't accept "vanilla" at the boot prompt,[/ref]

    I don't understand that ..

    Just insert a CD and you should drop right into the install program.
    The different flavors are on different disks, are they not?
    Did you read the manual? It's on the CDs.

    so I just hit

    > I partitioned a 10 Meg bootable, a 512 M swap, and the rest is "/" at
    > least that's what I think I've done. I thought the drive on this old PC
    > was a 20 gig, but in the partition utility , all I see is 2000 Meg .
    > which is "only" 2 gig. Right?
    >[/ref]

    Yes. Plenty of space.

    >[/ref]

    Okay. Did you format the non-swap partitions? I'll assume so.
    Apparently you have the CDs.

    Describe the steps you took:

    1) partitiion/flag/format hdd

    Went well

    2) insert CD 1

    this happened

    3)

    this happened

    4)

    You DO have an Intel CPU, right?

    I've installed 3.0 on a variety of machines, old and new, and it went
    very well in all cases.

  6. #6

    Alan Connor wrote:

    Got to this point: "You've mounted the root filesystem. You may
    initialize and mount additional filesystems or you may go on to install
    the OS kernel and modules."

    When I try to initialize other filesystems, it says they are already
    done. When I try to install kernel/modules, I get the "failed while
    saving dbootstrap settings in %s" and a message about the rescue floppy.

    PIII MMX

    Hmmm - I would like to eventually have a Linux laptop, would it be any
    easier to load Linux on a a later model Pentium laptop?

    AT

    Artie Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:29:51 GMT, Artie Turner <nyet> wrote:

    > Got to this point: "You've mounted the root filesystem. You may
    > initialize and mount additional filesystems or you may go on to install
    > the OS kernel and modules."
    >
    > When I try to initialize other filesystems, it says they are already
    > done.[/ref]

    What "other filesystems" were you planning on intitialising? :-)
    Try skipping that option.

    You are going to have to learn to supply *exact* details. This isn't a
    tinkertoy we are dealing with, it is a computer operating system.

    Have you gone to a tty by pressing f1 at this point?

    And once again: Have you read the install docs?

    (If you haven't then do it. If you evade the question again, I'm outta here.)

    > PIII MMX
    >
    > Hmmm - I would like to eventually have a Linux laptop, would it be any
    > easier to load Linux on a a later model Pentium laptop?[/ref]

    That's not the strategy to take. You are in LinuxLand now, and you are here
    because you really want to learn computers.

    And you will learn a lot from this install.

  8. #8

    Alan Connor wrote:

    Yes, point taken. I will read the manual completely before posting again.

    Yes, I was trying to just breeze through without reading anything like I
    do most tech things. I think Winddows has shortened my attention span.

    AT

    Artie Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:44:31 GMT, Artie Turner <nyet> wrote:

    > Yes, point taken. I will read the manual completely before posting again.
    >
    > Yes, I was trying to just breeze through without reading anything like I
    > do most tech things. I think Winddows has shortened my attention span.
    >
    > AT
    >[/ref]

    Talk to you soon. Welcome to Linux.