Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie:Is Javascript validation really the best way to go? - Coldfusion - Getting Started

Hello to all, I remember reading somewhere that JavaScript validation is superior to CF validation and not to even use CF for that. Is this really true? Aren't more and more users turning off JavaScript in their browsers for security? Just what IS the best way to validate a form? Currently still using CFMX Thanks for reading....

  1. #1

    Default Newbie:Is Javascript validation really the best way to go?

    Hello to all,

    I remember reading somewhere that JavaScript validation is superior to CF
    validation and not to even use CF for that.
    Is this really true? Aren't more and more users turning off JavaScript in
    their browsers for security?

    Just what IS the best way to validate a form?

    Currently still using CFMX

    Thanks for reading.

    Hosh Guest

  2. #2

    Well you have sort of answered your own question. Because JavaScript can be
    turned off then it cannot be relied upon, server side validation cannot be
    avoided by the user on a well built app so it is paramount that you do not rely
    on JavaScript. However, as server-side validation requires another hit to the
    web server it will increase traffic. So use of JavaScript can reduce the need
    for many of these hits. So a combination of the two is the best way but will
    mean more work on your part.

    However cfform does make most clientside form validation easier as it will
    write the majority of the form variables for you. Also FlashForms wuth cfform
    will also add more weapons to your armoury, it really depends on what the form
    is for and who will be using it!?

    Stressed_Simon Guest

  3. #3

    "Stressed_Simon" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Well you have sort of answered your own question. Because JavaScript can
    > be
    > turned off then it cannot be relied upon, server side validation cannot be
    > avoided by the user on a well built app so it is paramount that you do not
    > rely
    > on JavaScript.

    >However, as server-side validation requires another hit to the
    > web server it will increase traffic.
    > So use of JavaScript can reduce the need
    > for many of these hits. So a combination of the two is the best way but
    > will
    > mean more work on your part.

    Do you mean that if I have BOTH javascript AND CF validation and the user is
    not blocking javascript, then the CF validation does not get triggered,
    automatically?

    > However cfform does make most clientside form validation easier as it will
    > write the majority of the form variables for you. Also FlashForms wuth
    > cfform
    > will also add more weapons to your armoury, it really depends on what the
    > form
    > is for and who will be using it!?
    Thanks! I'll look into FlashForms today.
    Something NEW to learn?? My brain hurts NOW!

    Hosh Guest

  4. #4

    Do you mean that if I have BOTH javascript AND CF validation and the user is

    I don't mean that. But if the errors are picked up by the JavaScipt then the
    the page is not submitted so CF doesn't look at it. Once JavaScript is happy
    the page is submitted and if it passed the JavaScript checks then it means that
    CF will pass the results as OK. If JavaScript is turnd off then CF handles it
    all.

    Make sense?

    Stressed_Simon Guest

  5. #5

    Got it!

    Thanks a bunch Simon.

    > Do you mean that if I have BOTH javascript AND CF validation and the user
    > is
    >
    > I don't mean that. But if the errors are picked up by the JavaScipt then
    > the
    > the page is not submitted so CF doesn't look at it. Once JavaScript is
    > happy
    > the page is submitted and if it passed the JavaScript checks then it means
    > that
    > CF will pass the results as OK. If JavaScript is turnd off then CF handles
    > it
    > all.
    >
    > Make sense?

    Hosh Guest