Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie: load a movie in a movie - Macromedia Director Basics

Hi, This may be very easy but I'm gettinge more and more confused, and I don't get it by myself, so could please somebody give me a hand.: I have a long movie I want to divide into parts. In the end I create a "Container Movie" which is exported as Projector. In that short Movie I just load a Start screen and (one after the other) the Parts of my project. The user shall not notice the Movie is partd of course. So I just don't know how to load a Movie in anoher. Do I export the Parts ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie: load a movie in a movie

    Hi,

    This may be very easy but I'm gettinge more and more confused, and I
    don't get it by myself, so could please somebody give me a hand.:
    I have a long movie I want to divide into parts. In the end I create a
    "Container Movie" which is exported as Projector. In that short Movie I
    just load a Start screen and (one after the other) the Parts of my
    project. The user shall not notice the Movie is partd of course.

    So I just don't know how to load a Movie in anoher.
    Do I export the Parts as .dcr?
    Which steps do ned to get a Part in my Container Movie?

    Please give me code, for I tried but failes may times.

    thanks a lot for helping!

    greetings from munich

    oe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie: load a movie in a movie

    These are knows as Linked Director Movies (LDM). You don't need to export them as .dcr's. Your .dir's will work fine, and you can protect them (.dxr) at the end of the project and they should still work. To import an LDM into your Container movie do an import and select your Parts movies. Instead of doing a Standard Import, though, select Link To External File. This will make each Part movie a cast member in your cast, which you can then place on the stage. Alternately, you can just load one movie, and when it gets done you can change the reference to the next one so you only have one LDM in your Container movie.

    A few things to know about LDM's.
    First, they will probably take a little while to load, so when one ends and the next one begins you'll probably experience a pause.

    Second, if you have any editable text in your LDM, it will not be editable in the Container movie. You can work around this by placing identical text areas in the Container movie and then telling the LDM what is typed.

    Third, come actions, such as mouseUp and mouseDown don't reference sprites correctly in an LDM. They try to reference the sprites in the Container movie instead of the Part movie, which causes problems. To work around this, you can have these actions set flags and have something like an on enterFrame script that watches for these flags.

    I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

    Nathan
    Nathan Friesen Guest

  3. #3

    Many thanks!!! You really helped me a lot!

    Can I do something to avoid the pause between the LDMs?

    greetings from munich!

    oe

    Nathan Friesen wrote:
    > These are knows as Linked Director Movies (LDM). You don't need to export them as .dcr's. Your .dir's will work fine, and you can protect them (.dxr) at the end of the project and they should still work. To import an LDM into your Container movie do an import and select your Parts movies. Instead of doing a Standard Import, though, select Link To External File. This will make each Part movie a cast member in your cast, which you can then place on the stage. Alternately, you can just load one movie, and when it gets done you can change the reference to the next one so you only have one LDM in your Container movie.
    >
    > A few things to know about LDM's.
    > First, they will probably take a little while to load, so when one ends and the next one begins you'll probably experience a pause.
    >
    > Second, if you have any editable text in your LDM, it will not be editable in the Container movie. You can work around this by placing identical text areas in the Container movie and then telling the LDM what is typed.
    >
    > Third, come actions, such as mouseUp and mouseDown don't reference sprites correctly in an LDM. They try to reference the sprites in the Container movie instead of the Part movie, which causes problems. To work around this, you can have these actions set flags and have something like an on enterFrame script that watches for these flags.
    >
    > I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
    >
    > Nathan
    oe Guest

  4. #4

    You can look into the memory management functions in Director, and you may be able to help decrease the pause some. I would suggest looking into preload. While you may be able to decrease the pause some, I don't think you'll be able to eliminate it completely.

    You may also want to look up information on the director.ini file. I think there are some things you can set with it that affect memory and playback, but I haven't used it much for that.

    Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Thanks

    Nathan

    In <c7e28i$ku5$1forums.macromedia.com> oe wrote:
    > Many thanks!!! You really helped me a lot!
    >
    > Can I do something to avoid the pause between the LDMs?
    >
    > greetings from munich!
    >
    > oe

    Nathan Friesen Guest