Professional Web Applications Themes

newbie needs type help (default stroke and fill) - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am using ID CS. Is it possible to set a default fill and stroke for type. I thought if you did it with the type tool selected but no type that it would become the default. That didn't work. Have I missed something or do I have to change those settings after the fact?...

  1. #1

    Default newbie needs type help (default stroke and fill)

    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: newbie needs type help (default stroke and fill)

    1. Why would you want to do that as default?
    2. It is quite easy to make a paragraph style that does what you want.
    3. In CS2 you could set the style Basic Paragraph to have this; in CS you can't do that.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I was wanting to set this as a default since I'm working on a
    36+ page doent and am really getting tired of having to change
    the stroke and fill with each text block I do. I was wanting it as a default for this publication only.

    I guess it's time to actually learn paragraph styles.

    thanks
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well, not using paragraph styles in ID is like buying a mercedes and only driving it in the first gear.

    But actually, you could do without them here (although I would never recommend doing that). If you select the last paragraph you made completely (click four times in it, so you have also the paragraph end) and set the stroke and fill attributes, starting a new paragraph would give you the same character attributes in the next paragraph.

  5. #5

    It only hurts at first, then you'll love them. :-)

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This styles thing is pretty cool.
    I don't want much do I. The next nit-picky question is can I change
    the default no paragraph style font (mine changes to times)?
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yes.

    For the current doent, make sure nothing is selected. Choose the type tool and then choose the font, style, size and leading.

    For all new doent: do the same with no doents open.

  8. #8

    Reading post #3 indicates that William wants to change the default fill and strok for a tex block, not text. WIlliam, if that's the case, please be careful how you phrase your questions. You might have been pulling your teeth out trying to get what you want following instructions that will never work.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Scott,

    In post 5 (the post directly preceding my answer) William asked:

    The next nit-picky question is can I change the default no paragraph style
    font (mine changes to times)?

    That's the question I answered.

  10. #10

    Select a paragraph that you have already formatted. Go to the character
    styles palette > New Paragraph Style. In the dialogue that comes up give the
    style an appropriate name. You will then have created a paragraph style, and
    when you apply that to any other paragraph it will take on the formatting
    that you have been applying manually.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    If as Scott surmises you are not talking about fill and stroke of the text,
    but instead of the text frame, you can do exactly what I have just outline
    but do it in the object palette. Then any text frame to which you apply your
    new object style will have the same fill/stroke attributes.

    Oops, you're using CS not CS2. So no object styles. Sorry. But I'll post
    this anyway in case someone else has the same query.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to requisition some patience to
    help with the transition.
    william_craft@adobeforums.com Guest