Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie Newbie Needs Help with starting - PHP Development

Im "blush" a total newb at this and just starting out. I've got some manuals and have searched both google and php.net for the answer. It may be there but im to stupid to understand. The problem: I have written my first script according to directions. When I point my browser to 127.0.0.1 and the file extension i get nothing at all in the browser window. What I have and what i've done so far: I have Win XP, with Php 4.3.4, Apache 1.3, and MySql running on my machine. I first installed MySql then Apache then Php. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie Newbie Needs Help with starting

    Im "blush" a total newb at this and just starting out. I've got some
    manuals and have searched both google and php.net for the answer. It
    may be there but im to stupid to understand. The problem:

    I have written my first script according to directions. When I point
    my browser to 127.0.0.1 and the file extension i get nothing at all in
    the browser window.

    What I have and what i've done so far:
    I have Win XP, with Php 4.3.4, Apache 1.3, and MySql running on my
    machine.
    I first installed MySql then Apache then Php.
    I have not yet found any problems with MySql.
    During the Apache install I changed some of the httpd.conf file as
    follows
    I changed the value of ServerAdmin to my e-mail address. I also
    changed the ServerName to www.127.0.0.1

    My first script is:

    <? phpinfo (); ?>

    What I did before I attempted the script:

    During the Php install I changed more of the httpd.conf file as
    follows
    added this line

    LoadMOdule php4_module c:/php-4.3.4-win32/sapi/php4apache.dll

    I also checked the path and file name extensively to make sure it all
    went where it was supposed to go.

    I added this line

    AddModule mod_php4.c

    I added these lines

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml .php

    Next I tested with the script and the problem occured.

    When I restarted Apache it gave me this error message

    Cannot Load c:/program files/apache
    group/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
    (126) The specified module could not be found:

    I then looked for this file under the specified path and couldn't find
    it.

    Im stuck and don't know what to do. Can some smart person out there
    take pity on me?
    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie Newbie Needs Help with starting

    "Rick W" <net> wrote in message

    Probably the registry.
    Alot of people fall down here.
    see:
    http://redeyemedia.co.uk/apache-mysql-php-windows2000.php

    I know you said you were using XP but should still apply.
    Regards
    Richard Grove

    http://shopbuilder.org - ecommerce systems
    Become a Shop Builder re-seller:
    http://www.affiliatewindow.com/affiliates/merchantdetails.php?mid=611
    http://www.affiliatewindow.com/a.pl?590

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:43:00 -0000, "Richard Grove"
    <info[at]redeyemedia[dot]co[dot]uk> brought forth from the murky
    depths:

    -snip-

    A lot gets done in your 1-page install, doesn't it? =:0

    Richard, I'm thinking of doing a LAMP install on my laptop to
    network to my Win2k box for development but I've heard horror
    stories about installing on a laptop. Suggestions and cautions
    would be appreciated.

    As it is now, I need to go online to test my PHP scripts and MySQL
    queries.

    TIA

    ---
    - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
    http://diversify.com Web Applications
    Larry Guest

  4. #4

    "Larry Jaques" <jakedi\/ersify.com> wrote in message
    > -snip-

    > A lot gets done in your 1-page install, doesn't it? =:0
    >
    > Richard, I'm thinking of doing a LAMP install on my laptop to
    > network to my Win2k box for development but I've heard horror
    > stories about installing on a laptop. Suggestions and cautions
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > As it is now, I need to go online to test my PHP scripts and MySQL
    > queries.
    >
    > TIA
    >[/ref]

    Tried it a long time ago and fell down getting php to work.
    I spent ages trying out tutorials, but the problems I had was that people
    who write linus tutorials seem to think us idiots have got a clue. They
    asume we know more than we do.
    If you do manage to get it working, please write a "noddy" tutorial, I will
    happily put it on the site for reference.
    Of course it will be credited to you.

  5. #5

    I noticed that Message-ID:
    <3fe06e4c$0$30574$nildram.net> from "Richard Grove"
    <info[at]redeyemedia[dot]co[dot]uk> contained the following:

    I agree. Take the simple term 'localhost'. Are you supposed to leave it
    as it is or is this one of the words you are supposed to change to
    ...er..something else? very often people who write tutorials are too
    close to the subject to realise what it's like to be a beginner.

    I found phpdev from http://www.firepages.com.au/ astonishingly easy
    even though the website is a bit confusing. Well I did it, so it must be
    easy. No tweaking of anything is required. You install it and it works
    - simple.

    Download http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev41.htm and the4.3 upgrade

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  6. #6

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:41:45 +0000, Geoff Berrow
    <co.uk> brought forth from the murky depths:

    >I agree. Take the simple term 'localhost'. Are you supposed to leave it
    >as it is or is this one of the words you are supposed to change to
    >..er..something else? very often people who write tutorials are too
    >close to the subject to realise what it's like to be a beginner.
    > [/ref]

    Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Yours seems the easier
    of the two, Geoff, so I'll start there...after backing up the most
    current client data.

    --
    Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
    ----