Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie Pre-Install question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

1. Sorry if this is in HTML - I'm new to windows use and can't follow its illogic (sheesh, putting 'stop' in a 'start' list!) and don't want to. Change forced by my OS/2 having died at long last. 2. Sorry if its in the wrong newsgroup but this or c.o.l.misc would appear to be the most suited from what my ISP carries. And if its been googled I can't find it whilst using Windoze. 3. The actual questions: a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility? b. Any particular ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie Pre-Install question

    1. Sorry if this is in HTML - I'm new to windows use and can't follow its
    illogic (sheesh, putting 'stop' in a 'start' list!) and don't want to.
    Change forced by my OS/2 having died at long last.
    2. Sorry if its in the wrong newsgroup but this or c.o.l.misc would
    appear to be the most suited from what my ISP carries. And if its been
    googled I can't find it whilst using Windoze.
    3. The actual questions:
    a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition
    apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX Chipset)
    with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97 Audio using IRQ
    18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb, a Kensington
    EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS PCI SC875
    with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA USB UPS
    in a PCI slot but Win XP gives no further details on whether it uses a IRQ
    or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has taken as a
    single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary Master
    IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20 Gb
    Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1 Gb
    memory.

    Richard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie Pre-Install question

    Richard <c138535internode.on.net> wrote:
    > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition
    > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    You can use a partition magic utility, I believe. I think I also saw
    something called ntfsresizer on freshmeat or somewhere .. google.
    > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX Chipset)
    SiS is a general nono for anything.
    > with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97 Audio using IRQ
    ac97 is a generic name for something which almost satisfies a certain
    interface spec. It may or may not work. In any case, you don't want a
    motherboard or a sound card like that! Get another. Avoid integrated
    anything.
    > 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb, a Kensington
    Is geforce ati? If so it will proabbly work - check with xfree86.org as
    to the support in the version of X that comes with mandrake 9.1
    > EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS PCI SC875
    Never heard of it. What chip?
    > with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA USB UPS
    Never heard of it and will likely never work.
    > in a PCI slot but Win XP gives no further details on whether it uses a IRQ
    > or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has taken as a
    Standard. Only the ide controller counts, not the disk. What controller?
    > single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary Master
    > IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20 Gb
    > Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1 Gb
    > memory.
    1GB means that you will need a specially compiled kernel, or you'll only
    see about 900MB of that.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Richard <c138535internode.on.net> wrote:
    >> a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    >> partition apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    >
    > You can use a partition magic utility, I believe. I think I also saw
    > something called ntfsresizer on freshmeat or somewhere .. google.

    Why not use the Mandrake 9.1 installer? It is straightforward and
    almost automatic and will repartition non-destructively to whatever
    size that you want to cut out/
    >> b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the
    >> following hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with
    >> SiS 645DX Chipset)
    >
    > SiS is a general nono for anything.
    >
    >> with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97 Audio
    >> using IRQ
    >
    > ac97 is a generic name for something which almost satisfies a certain
    > interface spec. It may or may not work. In any case, you don't want a
    > motherboard or a sound card like that! Get another. Avoid integrated
    > anything.

    Onboard sound is generally junk. Get a good pci soundcard and disable
    onboard sound and onboard midi in the bios.
    >> 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb, a
    >> Kensington
    >
    > Is geforce ati? If so it will proabbly work - check with xfree86.org
    > as to the support in the version of X that comes with mandrake 9.1

    My geforce is nvidia and nvidia has good support for their graphics
    adapters. Mandrake 9.1 will install a generic nv adapter which is fine
    for most purposes and for 3d you can download a package from nvidia
    that will install the nvidia drivers to any kernel, including compiling
    them if the kernel is a new version.
    >> EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS
    >> PCI SC875
    >
    > Never heard of it. What chip?

    Is this possibly a typo? If the card is a Linksys LNE100TX, the module
    is tulip.
    >> with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA
    >> USB UPS
    >
    > Never heard of it and will likely never work.
    >
    >> in a PCI slot but Win XP gives no further details on whether it uses
    >> a IRQ or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has
    >> taken as a
    >
    > Standard. Only the ide controller counts, not the disk. What
    > controller?
    >
    >> single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary
    >> Master IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20
    >> Gb
    >> Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1
    >> Gb memory.
    >
    > 1GB means that you will need a specially compiled kernel, or you'll
    > only see about 900MB of that.
    >
    > Peter
    Clive Dove Guest

  4. #4

    Richard wrote:
    > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition
    > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    Commercial tools like Partition Magic and Acronis PartitionExpert.
    > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    > Chipset) with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97
    > Audio using IRQ 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb,
    You need the proprietary drivers from nVidia if you want 3D accelereration.
    > a Kensington
    > EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS PCI
    > SC875 with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA
    > USB UPS in a PCI slot
    What??? I have an APC BackUPS ES and it definetly doesn't fit in a PCI slot!
    --
    Markku Kolkka
    [email]markku.kolkkaiki.fi[/email]

  5. #5

    Richard wrote:
    > 1. Sorry if this is in HTML - I'm new to windows use and can't follow
    then change to text mode in the settings of that broken reader

    [snipped]
    > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition
    > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    go to sourceforge and get ntfsresize utils
    > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    .... i'd start at [url]http://www.google.com/linux[/url] and do the searches.
    you could also go to groups.google.com or to the distro's website
    and check their compatibility database

    Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, # Black holes result
    skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux", # when God divides the
    "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" # universe by zero

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Markku Kolkka wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>>a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    >>>partition apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    >>

    >> Commercial tools like Partition Magic and Acronis PartitionExpert.
    >
    > Mandrake's resize utility is based on the ntfsresize utilities, at
    > sourceforge.net. You can download them and use them by hand, which
    > I've done myself last week. Nice little tools!
    >
    >>>b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the
    >>>following hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with
    >>>SiS 645DX Chipset) with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a
    >>>Avance AC97
    >>>Audio using IRQ 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with
    >>>64Mb,
    >>

    >> You need the proprietary drivers from nVidia if you want 3D
    >> accelereration.
    >
    > Yeah, they're at:
    >
    > [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/var/ftp/pub/nvidia[/url]
    >
    > They also are kernel specific: you'll need to recompile them if you
    > switch to a customized kernel.
    >
    > Now, if I can just figure out how they got the names of those RPM's to
    > be compiled in with RPM command line arguments so I could script their
    > creation for my custom local kernels, I'd be in hog heaven....
    The latest one is a single .run package that is run under sh and
    compiles and installs both the glx package and the kernel package and
    so it is no longer kernel dependent.

    There are two lines that need to be inserted into file
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and the package is run under a sh command in
    single user mode.

    So what I did was to make up a modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.new file,
    then issued "telinit -1" and then ran the sh command with the package
    name as its argument and and then copied the new Config-4 file over the
    old one while still in single user mode then issued startx.

    Clive Dove Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Richard Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> wrote in message
    news:ILhLa.3797$2ay.3048news01.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com...
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > Markku Kolkka wrote:

    > >> Commercial tools like Partition Magic and Acronis PartitionExpert.

    Thanks
    > > Mandrake's resize utility is based on the ntfsresize utilities, at
    > > sourceforge.net. You can download them and use them by hand, which
    > > I've done myself last week. Nice little tools!

    Thanks URL?

    > >> You need the proprietary drivers from nVidia if you want 3D
    > >> accelereration.

    OK
    > > Yeah, they're at:
    > >
    > > [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/var/ftp/pub/nvidia[/url]

    THANKS
    > > They also are kernel specific: you'll need to recompile them if you
    > > switch to a customized kernel.

    QUEEH?
    > > Now, if I can just figure out how they got the names of those RPM's to
    > > be compiled in with RPM command line arguments so I could script their
    > > creation for my custom local kernels, I'd be in hog heaven....
    >
    > The latest one is a single .run package that is run under sh and
    > compiles and installs both the glx package and the kernel package and
    > so it is no longer kernel dependent.
    >
    > There are two lines that need to be inserted into file
    > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and the package is run under a sh command in
    > single user mode.

    Thanks
    > So what I did was to make up a modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.new file,
    > then issued "telinit -1" and then ran the sh command with the package
    > name as its argument and and then copied the new Config-4 file over the
    > old one while still in single user mode then issued startx.

    ???

    Richard Guest

  9. #9

    "mjt" <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com> wrote in message
    news:KSgLa.122$jG3.51667159newssvr11.news.prodigy .com...
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    > > 1. Sorry if this is in HTML - I'm new to windows use and can't follow
    >
    > then change to text mode in the settings of that broken reader
    Sorry but as I said I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED LEARNING F***ING WINDOWS,
    IF I HAVE DO TO THAT I MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH THE F***ING THING.

    > [snipped]
    > > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    partition
    > > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    >
    > go to sourceforge and get ntfsresize utils
    Thanks a URL would've been helpful.

    > > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    >
    > ... i'd start at [url]http://www.google.com/linux[/url] and do the searches.
    > you could also go to groups.google.com or to the distro's website
    > and check their compatibility database

    CAN I repeat it as I said I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED LEARNING F***ING

  10. #10

    "Peter T. Breuer" <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    > Richard <c138535internode.on.net> wrote:
    > > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    partition
    > > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    >
    > You can use a partition magic utility, I believe. I think I also saw
    > something called ntfsresizer on freshmeat or somewhere .. google.
    Thanks

    > > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    Chipset)

    > SiS is a general nono for anything.
    Why?
    > > with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97 Audio using
    IRQ

    > ac97 is a generic name for something which almost satisfies a certain
    > interface spec. It may or may not work. In any case, you don't want a
    > motherboard or a sound card like that! Get another. Avoid integrated
    > anything.
    Too late this is what I have.

    > > 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb, a Kensington
    >
    > Is geforce ati? If so it will proabbly work - check with xfree86.org as
    > to the support in the version of X that comes with mandrake 9.1
    >
    > > EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS PCI
    SC875

    > Never heard of it. What chip?
    >
    > > with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA USB
    UPS

    > Never heard of it and will likely never work.

    Worked fine during the power outage I recently had .
    > > in a PCI slot but Win XP gives no further details on whether it uses a
    IRQ
    > > or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has taken as a
    >
    > Standard. Only the ide controller counts, not the disk. What controller?

    The motherboard.
    > > single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary
    Master
    > > IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20 Gb
    > > Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1 Gb
    > > memory.
    >
    > 1GB means that you will need a specially compiled kernel, or you'll only
    > see about 900MB of that.
    >
    > Peter

    Richard Guest

  11. #11

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Markku Kolkka wrote:
    >
    > > Richard wrote:
    > >
    > >>a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    partition
    > >>apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    > >

    > > Commercial tools like Partition Magic and Acronis PartitionExpert.
    >
    > Mandrake's resize utility is based on the ntfsresize utilities, at
    > sourceforge.net. You can download them and use them by hand, which I've
    > done myself last week. Nice little tools!

    Thank you.
    > >>b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > >>hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    > >>Chipset) with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97
    > >>Audio using IRQ 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with
    64Mb,

    > > You need the proprietary drivers from nVidia if you want 3D
    accelereration.

    > Yeah, they're at:
    >
    > [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/var/ftp/pub/nvidia[/url]
    >
    > They also are kernel specific: you'll need to recompile them if you
    > switch to a customized kernel.
    Thank you.

    [snip]

    Richard Guest

  12. #12

    "Markku Kolkka" <markku.kolkkaiki.fi> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:
    > > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    partition
    > > apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    >
    > Commercial tools like Partition Magic and Acronis PartitionExpert.
    Thank you.
    > > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    > > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    > > Chipset) with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97
    > > Audio using IRQ 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with
    64Mb,

    > You need the proprietary drivers from nVidia if you want 3D
    accelereration.

    Thank you
    > > a Kensington
    > > EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS PCI
    > > SC875 with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES
    350VA
    > > USB UPS in a PCI slot
    >
    > What??? I have an APC BackUPS ES and it definetly doesn't fit in a PCI
    slot!
    Please read the whole post I didn't say it fitted into a slot, merely that
    it takes one (and accordingly it obviously must use in some way, one).

    > > but Win XP gives no further details on whether it
    > > uses a IRQ or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has
    > > taken as a
    > > single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary
    Master
    > > IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20 Gb
    > > Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1 Gb
    > > memory.

    Richard Guest

  13. #13

    "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> wrote in message
    news:n_cLa.2645$a51.912news02.bloor.is.net.cable. rogers.com...
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >
    > > Richard <c138535internode.on.net> wrote:
    > >> a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS
    > >> partition apart from Mandrake 9.1's install utility?
    > >
    > > You can use a partition magic utility, I believe. I think I also saw
    > > something called ntfsresizer on freshmeat or somewhere .. google.
    > >
    > Why not use the Mandrake 9.1 installer? It is straightforward and
    > almost automatic and will repartition non-destructively to whatever
    > size that you want to cut out/

    What if I don't like or have available Mandrake? All I am asking is are
    there alternatives.
    > >> b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the
    > >> following hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with
    > >> SiS 645DX Chipset)
    > >
    > > SiS is a general nono for anything.

    Oh Thanks really informative.

    > >> with onboard audio (which Win Xp identifies as a Avance AC97 Audio
    > >> using IRQ
    > >
    > > ac97 is a generic name for something which almost satisfies a certain
    > > interface spec. It may or may not work. In any case, you don't want a
    > > motherboard or a sound card like that! Get another. Avoid integrated
    > > anything.
    > >
    > Onboard sound is generally junk. Get a good pci soundcard and disable
    > onboard sound and onboard midi in the bios.

    I did not come here asking for hardware recommendations I asked about likely
    problems with this particular hardware.
    > >> 18),PS/2 style mouse (IRQ12), a GeForce2 MX400 with 64Mb, a
    > >> Kensington
    > >
    > > Is geforce ati? If so it will proabbly work - check with xfree86.org
    > > as to the support in the version of X that comes with mandrake 9.1
    > >
    > My geforce is nvidia and nvidia has good support for their graphics
    > adapters. Mandrake 9.1 will install a generic nv adapter which is fine
    > for most purposes and for 3d you can download a package from nvidia
    > that will install the nvidia drivers to any kernel, including compiling
    > them if the kernel is a new version.

    Thanks for this information.
    > >> EtheRx KNE 100TX PCI Fast Ethrenet adapter (21143-PD) IRQ 17, ASUS
    > >> PCI SC875
    > >
    > > Never heard of it. What chip?

    Uses in OS2 SymBios drivers SYM8xx variety.
    ..
    > Is this possibly a typo? If the card is a Linksys LNE100TX, the module
    > is tulip.
    No typo.
    > >> with IBM 9 GB HDD off it, an American Power Conversion UPS ES 350VA
    > >> USB UPS
    > >
    > > Never heard of it and will likely never work.
    Thanks on what do you base that conclusion?
    > >> in a PCI slot but Win XP gives no further details on whether it uses
    > >> a IRQ or not, Seagate 40 Gb ATA100 (ST340016A) HDD (which WinXp has
    > >> taken as a
    > >
    > > Standard. Only the ide controller counts, not the disk. What
    > > controller?
    The motherboard.
    > >> single partition formated as NTFS and I want to change it) Primary
    > >> Master IDE (can/will swap it with a IBM HDD of 14Gb) Primary Slave 20
    > >> Gb
    > >> Seagate(ST320423A), Sony CD-ROM CDU5231 and Sony CD-RW CRX210E1, 1
    > >> Gb memory.
    > >
    > > 1GB means that you will need a specially compiled kernel, or you'll
    > > only see about 900MB of that.
    is this a major problem?

    Richard Guest

  14. #14

    Richard wrote:

    > "Clive Dove" <chdoverogers.com> wrote in message
    > news:n_cLa.2645$a51.912news02.bloor.is.net.cable. rogers.com...
    >> Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >> > You can use a partition magic utility, I believe. I think I also
    >> > saw something called ntfsresizer on freshmeat or somewhere ..
    >> > google.
    >> >
    >> Why not use the Mandrake 9.1 installer? It is straightforward and
    >> almost automatic and will repartition non-destructively to whatever
    >> size that you want to cut out/
    >>
    > What if I don't like or have available Mandrake? All I am asking is
    > are there alternatives.

    >> > SiS is a general nono for anything.
    >> >
    > Oh Thanks really informative.

    >> > ac97 is a generic name for something which almost satisfies a
    >> > certain interface spec. It may or may not work. In any case, you
    >> > don't want a motherboard or a sound card like that! Get another.
    >> > Avoid integrated anything.
    >> >
    >> Onboard sound is generally junk. Get a good pci soundcard and
    >> disable onboard sound and onboard midi in the bios.
    >>
    > I did not come here asking for hardware recommendations I asked about
    > likely problems with this particular hardware.

    >> > Is geforce ati? If so it will proabbly work - check with
    >> > xfree86.org as to the support in the version of X that comes with
    >> > mandrake 9.1
    >> >
    >> My geforce is nvidia and nvidia has good support for their graphics
    >> adapters. Mandrake 9.1 will install a generic nv adapter which is
    >> fine for most purposes and for 3d you can download a package from
    >> nvidia that will install the nvidia drivers to any kernel, including
    >> compiling them if the kernel is a new version.
    >>
    > Thanks for this information.

    >> > Never heard of it. What chip?
    >> >
    > Uses in OS2 SymBios drivers SYM8xx variety.
    > .
    >> Is this possibly a typo? If the card is a Linksys LNE100TX, the
    >> module is tulip.
    >
    > No typo.

    >> > Never heard of it and will likely never work.
    >
    > Thanks on what do you base that conclusion?

    >> > Standard. Only the ide controller counts, not the disk. What
    >> > controller?
    >
    > The motherboard.

    >> > 1GB means that you will need a specially compiled kernel, or you'll
    >> > only see about 900MB of that.
    > is this a major problem?

    You mentioned Mandrake 9.1. I merely suggested that you go with it
    rather than paying for a commercial partition manager as it does the
    job nicely.

    I would be surprised if new releases of distros other than Mandrake did
    not also have the same partitioning capability. All distros are
    collections of open source software and all try to keep up with each
    other in the selection that they offer.

    The Kingston KNE100TX also uses module tulip. I don't know whether the
    distro that you are contemplating has it aboard but it is such a
    commonly used module that I would be very surprised if it did not. In
    any event the source code is kept current by Scyld and it can be
    obtained here:

    [url]ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network[/url]

    Clive Dove Guest

  15. #15

    Richard wrote:

    >>>Mandrake's resize utility is based on the ntfsresize utilities, at
    >>>sourceforge.net. You can download them and use them by hand, which
    >>>I've done myself last week. Nice little tools!
    >>>

    > Thanks URL?

    [url]http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    Enjoy.

    >>>Yeah, they're at:
    >>>
    >>>[url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/var/ftp/pub/nvidia[/url]
    >>>

    > THANKS
    >

    >>>They also are kernel specific: you'll need to recompile them if you
    >>>switch to a customized kernel.
    >>>

    > QUEEH?
    The kernel modules to drive the nvidia hardware are compiled for
    specific kernels. You'll need to download the module for your specific
    kernel, or rebuild them from from tarball or SRPM or whatever if you
    change or update your kernel to one not currently listed there.

    >>>Now, if I can just figure out how they got the names of those RPM's to
    >>>be compiled in with RPM command line arguments so I could script their
    >>>creation for my custom local kernels, I'd be in hog heaven....
    >>
    >>The latest one is a single .run package that is run under sh and
    >>compiles and installs both the glx package and the kernel package and
    >>so it is no longer kernel dependent.
    >>
    >>There are two lines that need to be inserted into file
    >>/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and the package is run under a sh command in
    >>single user mode.
    >>

    > Thanks
    It's pretty neat. Note, though, that putthing this in *breaks* the
    RedHat X configuration tools because of the required updates to the
    OpenGL software. If you change your monitor or video card, you'll need
    to pull out the nvidia widgets (which can be pulled out gracefully with
    "rpm -e" under RedHat), then run the configuration tool, then put the
    RPM's and changes back.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  16. #16

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >> Thanks URL?
    >

    > [url]http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    > Enjoy.

    >> THANKS

    >> QUEEH?
    >
    > The kernel modules to drive the nvidia hardware are compiled for
    > specific kernels. You'll need to download the module for your specific
    > kernel, or rebuild them from from tarball or SRPM or whatever if you
    > change or update your kernel to one not currently listed there.

    >>>The latest one is a single .run package that is run under sh and
    >>>compiles and installs both the glx package and the kernel package and
    >>>so it is no longer kernel dependent.
    >>>
    >>>There are two lines that need to be inserted into file
    >>>/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and the package is run under a sh command in
    >>>single user mode.
    >>>

    >> Thanks
    >
    > It's pretty neat. Note, though, that putthing this in *breaks* the
    > RedHat X configuration tools because of the required updates to the
    > OpenGL software. If you change your monitor or video card, you'll need
    > to pull out the nvidia widgets (which can be pulled out gracefully
    > with "rpm -e" under RedHat), then run the configuration tool, then put
    > the RPM's and changes back.

    To back out for a new kernel, why not simply run this command from a
    root prompt:

    nvidia-installer --uninstall

    Then "telinit 1" to go to single user mode and thencopy back the
    original /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

    Then you can upgrade the kernel with the system using the generic nv
    driver then you can re-install the accelerated driver, again from a
    single user root prompt, thus:

    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

    Which will recompile the nvidia package for the new kernel.

    Clive Dove Guest

  17. #17

    Richard wrote:

    > "mjt" <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com> wrote in message
    > news:KSgLa.122$jG3.51667159newssvr11.news.prodigy .com...
    >> Richard wrote:

    [ clipped ]
    >> ... i'd start at [url]http://www.google.com/linux[/url] and do the searches.
    >> you could also go to groups.google.com or to the distro's website
    >> and check their compatibility database
    >>
    > CAN I repeat it as I said I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED LEARNING
    > F***ING WINDOWS, IF I HAVE DO TO THAT I MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH THE
    > F***ING THING.

    You are not being asked to learn windows.

    Google is not windows-specific, in fact the link that you were given by
    mjt is linux-specific. It was given to you to help you to learn linux,
    not windows.

    As to changing from html to plain text:
    It was your choice to use Microsoft Outlook Express under windows.
    You could have used one in OS/2 that would have posted plain text.
    You don't need to learn windows to change the preferences. A bit of
    exploration with the drop-down windows (a skill used in linux also)
    would show you to go to tools -> send from the Outlook Express toolbar
    and then change the news sending format from HTML to plain text.

    Personally, I don't mind html as my newsreader is not bothered by it,
    but not everyone uses such newsreaders while everyone can read the
    plain text messages.

    Also, the purists among us tend to get annoyed at html news postings.
    The thing is that these are the people who are most likely to be able
    to help you when you run into an arcane issue and so they are the ones
    that you should stay friendly with. Calling one of them an "arrogant
    little " is not helpful.

    Clive Dove Guest

  18. #18

    Clive Dove wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >>>Thanks URL?
    >>

    >>[url]http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    >>Enjoy.

    >>>THANKS

    >>>QUEEH?
    >>
    >>The kernel modules to drive the nvidia hardware are compiled for
    >>specific kernels. You'll need to download the module for your specific
    >>kernel, or rebuild them from from tarball or SRPM or whatever if you
    >>change or update your kernel to one not currently listed there.

    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >>It's pretty neat. Note, though, that putthing this in *breaks* the
    >>RedHat X configuration tools because of the required updates to the
    >>OpenGL software. If you change your monitor or video card, you'll need
    >>to pull out the nvidia widgets (which can be pulled out gracefully
    >>with "rpm -e" under RedHat), then run the configuration tool, then put
    >>the RPM's and changes back.
    >

    > To back out for a new kernel, why not simply run this command from a
    > root prompt:
    >
    > nvidia-installer --uninstall
    Because the nvidia-installer checks your *current* kernel, not your old
    one. And because I occasionally use custom kernels, with custom kernel
    names, or the very latest kernel in a test rig. If NVIDIA hasn't
    published an RPM for it, that widget won't find it.

    > Then "telinit 1" to go to single user mode and thencopy back the
    > original /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
    Because the XF86Config-4 file only exists on a few systems that have
    compatibility between older XFree86-3.3.x tools and the more modern
    XFree86-4.x distribution. On systems both older and newer than your
    particular version, the file is called /etc/X11/XF86Config.

    > Then you can upgrade the kernel with the system using the generic nv
    > driver then you can re-install the accelerated driver, again from a
    > single user root prompt, thus:
    >
    > sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run
    >
    > Which will recompile the nvidia package for the new kernel.
    You're not getting the point, apparently because I wasn't clear. If
    someone changes their monitor, or swaps out the nvidia card or buys a
    newer one, the graphical X configuration tools (such Xconfigurator and
    redhat-config-xfree86) will choke up hairballs on the nvidia published
    versions of the GLX tools. Even if you swap out the nvidia video card
    altogether, go toan ATI card, but forget to take out the GLX tools,
    you're horked. You don't have to remove the NVIDIA kernel modules for
    this, just temporarily remove the GLX RPM, run the configuration tool,
    then restore the tools and re-edit your XF86Config{,04} file as needed
    it when you have your new kernel and hardware in place.

    Does this make sense?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  19. #19

    Richard wrote:
    >> > USB UPS in a PCI slot
    >>
    >> What??? I have an APC BackUPS ES and it definetly doesn't fit in a PCI
    > slot!
    > Please read the whole post I didn't say it fitted into a slot, merely that
    > it takes one (and accordingly it obviously must use in some way, one).
    How does it "take" a slot? It's an external box that connects to an USB
    connector (in addition to AC power). I can't see my UPS "taking" or "using"
    any PCI resources or interrupts under Linux (RHL9).

  20. #20

    Richard <c138535internode.on.net> wrote:
    >> then change to text mode in the settings of that broken reader
    > Sorry but as I said I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED LEARNING F***ING WINDOWS,
    > IF I HAVE DO TO THAT I MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH THE F***ING THING.
    >> > a. Is there any other way to non-destructively resize a NTFS partition
    >>
    >> go to sourceforge and get ntfsresize utils
    > Thanks a URL would've been helpful.
    He gave it to you. type "sourceforge" in your browser. Stop being such
    a pain.
    >> > b. Any particular gotcha's that people have found with the following
    >> > hardware P4 Titan 667 Motherboard (GA-8ST667 Series with SiS 645DX
    >>
    >> ... i'd start at [url]http://www.google.com/linux[/url] and do the searches.
    >> you could also go to groups.google.com or to the distro's website
    >> and check their compatibility database
    >>
    > CAN I repeat it as I said I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED LEARNING F***ING
    > WINDOWS, IF I HAVE DO TO THAT I MIGHT AS WELL STICK WITH THE F***ING THING.
    Take the morphine, NOW.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest