Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie Problem - Ubuntu

With a view to switch to Linux I have procured a ubuntu cd version 6.06 LTS directly. Before installing I want to get acquainted with the OS. While booting from cd ubuntu boots but I cannot access internt or access my existing files from Windows, as it can be done using Knoppix. Is it possible to browse and access existing files in Windows? I have ADSL router for my Internet connection. Being a Newbie any help will be of great help to me. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Newbie Problem

    With a view to switch to Linux I have procured a ubuntu cd version 6.06 LTS
    directly.
    Before installing I want to get acquainted with the OS.
    While booting from cd ubuntu boots but I cannot access internt or access my
    existing files from Windows, as it can be done using Knoppix.
    Is it possible to browse and access existing files in Windows?
    I have ADSL router for my Internet connection.
    Being a Newbie any help will be of great help to me.
    Thanks.
    JAG Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie Problem

    JAG CHAN wrote:

    Ubuntu is usually pretty good at detecting your network card, and defaults
    to using DHCP to get an IP. You can go to the menu and find system settings
    and change the IP to the one you use normally in windows. I actually use
    Kubuntu (the KDE flavour of Ubuntu) so it's slightly different to me.
    Assuming your network card was detected properly, it should work.
    If it wasn't...eh, someone else will have to help, I'm still somewhat of a
    linux newbie myself :D.

    As for the windows files, ubunto does not mount them by default. Open up a
    terminal and type:
    sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=022

    change hdd1 to whatever your hard drive actually is, and make sure you
    create a folder in /media called windows.
    After that your files will be accessable from that folder.

    Hope this helps?

    Glenn
    Glenn Guest

  3. #3

    Glenn Korbey <ScEo.uk> wrote in

    As suggested I tried manually setting IP address withoout success.
    Surprisingly Knoppix automatically detects network connection and I can
    browse easily.
    I hope somebody else here will suggest way to configure ubuntu for
    accessing net.
    As for accessing files from windows, I will try as you suggested.

    Regards.
    JAG Guest

  4. #4

    Glenn Korbey <ScEo.uk> wrote in

    ..

    When you write sudo mount does that mean I have to log in as a root user?

    JAG Guest

  5. #5

    JAG CHAN wrote:
    > .
    >
    > When you write sudo mount does that mean I have to log in as a root user?[/ref]

    No sudo means: "super user do". The way i understand it, it means that
    you temporarily switch to the root user, do the action (mount) and than
    switch back to the normal user. However, on the live cd you do not have
    to provide the root password like in the normal installation. By the way
    there is another (graphical) way of mounting your windows partition.

    1) Open system->administration->disks.
    2) Choose the right hard disk from the list on the left of the disks
    manager.
    3) Then switch to the partitions tab.
    4) Choose the right partition on which your windows partition is present
    (usually partition 1 a.k.a. /dev/hda1)
    5)provide a path like for example /media/windows/ . Please note that you
    choose a folder that exists on your system.
    6) Click enable and your all set. If everything went well you can access
    your windows partition from a shortcut on the desktop or you can press
    the browse button inside the disks manager.

    Also have a look at the ubuntu starters guide (www.ubuntuguide.org). It
    provides many answers to questions like the one you posed.
    odie Guest

  6. #6

    odie wrote:

    >> .
    >>
    >> When you write sudo mount does that mean I have to log in as a root user?[/ref]
    >
    > No sudo means: "super user do". The way i understand it, it means that
    > you temporarily switch to the root user, do the action (mount) and than
    > switch back to the normal user. However, on the live cd you do not have
    > to provide the root password like in the normal installation. By the way
    > there is another (graphical) way of mounting your windows partition.
    >
    > 1) Open system->administration->disks.
    > 2) Choose the right hard disk from the list on the left of the disks
    > manager.
    > 3) Then switch to the partitions tab.
    > 4) Choose the right partition on which your windows partition is present
    > (usually partition 1 a.k.a. /dev/hda1)
    > 5)provide a path like for example /media/wind> ows/ . Please note that you
    > choose a folder that exists on your system.
    > 6) Click enable and your all set. If everything went well you can access
    > your windows partition from a shortcut on the desktop or you can press
    > the browse button inside the disks manager.
    >
    > Also have a look at the ubuntu starters guide (www.ubuntuguide.org). It
    > provides many answers to questions like the one you posed.[/ref]

    Heh, didn't know there was a graphical way of mounting it. Nice.

    Glenn Guest

  7. #7

    odie wrote:

    I think "su" means "substitute user". It just defaults to super user.

    $ man su

    sudo can also change to any user if you give it the arguements.

    z Guest