Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie Question? Aligning Objects to other Objects? - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

Hi, I think this a newbie question and I will try to explain it as best as possible! I have a hollow circle (no fill, or stroke) and x amount of circles with fills and strokes, I want to align the filled circles with the bigger hollow circle so the small circles have a even spacing and sit in a big circle? Hope this makes sense!...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie Question? Aligning Objects to other Objects?

    grant.smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Every so often, this same "pearl bracelet" queston comes up.

    1) Draw a circle (one of the pearls).

    2) Drag it to the Brushes Palette. In the resulting dialog, choose New Pattern Brush. In the Pattern Brush Options dialog, select the radio button for Approximate Path. Make sure the Scale is 100% and Spacing is set to 0. Click OK.

    3) Draw a circle (the string of the bracelet). Leave it selected.

    4) Click on the Brush you just created in the Brushes Palette to apply it to the path.

    5) To adjust the number/size of pearls, DoubleClick the Brush attribute in the Appearance Palette and change the Scaling factor.
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Now, bear in mind the preceeding pearls are not really perfect circles. The PatternBrush actually "wedges" its tiles toward the center of the curvature of the spine path. It's probably not noticable unless you have huge pearls on a tiny bracelet. (Pearls are not perfectly round anyway. ;-)

    If you MUST have perfect pearls, try a Blend on a path:

    1) Draw a circle (a pearl).
    2) Copy. Paste in Front. You now have two identical pearls, stacked one on top of the other.
    3) With the normal selection tool, drag a selection marquee around the pearls. Object>Blend>Make.
    4) Draw a circle (the thread of the bracelet). Scissor Tool: Cut the bracelet at one of its four points.
    5) Select both the thread and the Blend of pearls. Object>Blend>Replace Spine.
    6)Object>Blend>Blend Options. Select Specified Distance. Turn on the Preview checkbox, and play with the spacing value to get the Pearls at least close to abutting.
    3) DirectSelectTool: AltClickDrag (OptionClickDrag on Mac) across the pearls which are centered on the point of the bracelet that you cut. (This is both the beginning and the ending of the path, and that pearl is actually two pearls). This Direct Selects the two pearls upon which the Blend is based, but because the Alt/Option key is pressed, it selects their entire paths, not just a couple of segments or points.
    4) Now that the beginning and ending pearls of your Blend are selected, you can use the Scale Tool to scale them slightly so as to make all the pearls the right size for the bracelet.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Then there's the low-tech method:

    Draw a circle
    select the rotate tool
    option-click on a point which you want to be the center point of the larger "bracelet"
    In the rotate dialog box that pops up, provide any percentage that evenly divides 360 (and which will offset your circle enough)
    Click on the "copy" button
    Use command-d to duplicate the process until you've completed a circle.

    You can use the Transform Each dialog to increase/decrease the size of each circle to alter the appearance. The only trouble is that you can't change the number of circles in your chain without starting over, but I seldom need to do this.

    For those who aren't good at math, 360 divides evenly by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20 etc. So there are a lot of options

    ....But is he asking for circles in a chain, or concentric circles?
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    or, assuming the job is the "pearl bracelet" metaphor... use the low-tech/high tech way in CS. Effects->Distort & Transform->Transform.

    That way you can get a preview of the angles and rotation and number of pearls, and it's easy to go back (double click effect in Appearance) and modify.
    Anne-Marie_Concepcion@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    addendum... since you can't set a point of origin for any Transform effects (other than clicking a point on the proxy icon in the dialog) ... (as far as i know, that is) ..

    You'd create the pearl bracelet with the Transform Effect by creating one pearl, then using the Move sliders as well as the Rotation degrees field and the # of copies field.

    Example:

    Create one pearl that's about 48 points in diameter, and select it

    In Effects->Distort & Transform->Transform, enter the following (leave everything else at default settings):
    Copies: 12
    Rotation Angle: 30 (degrees)
    Move Horizontal: +42
    Move Vertical: -42

    Click the Preview button and experiment clicking different spots on the proxy icon with these settings. The pearls move outward and inward around an invisible circle, forming a bracelet with different diameters.

    Kinda fun!

    Best part is, it's always editable.

    AM
    Anne-Marie_Concepcion@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks you everyone for all your suggestions, all have been very helpful.

    In the end I went with Anne-Marie Concepcion suggestion as this was the quickest and easiest to follow, and as it is an effect its very simple to experiment with, and that at the end of the day is Illustrator's joy.

    Thanks again
    grant.smith@adobeforums.com Guest