/dev/hda Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB------->/dev/hdc Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB------->/dev/hdd This could also be partitions on a specific harddrive, say you split your Primary Master into 3 or 4 partitions then it would be numbered in somewhat like manner /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3. So you need to choose what harddrive you want to install Debian on, also once you have selected your harddrive it will ask you if you want to partition it. You will get a lot of opinions on the best way to partition but to keep it simple you will probably want two partitions, a swap, and a root partition. So make sure you have a swap, and a root which for the time being will have usr, home, var, boot on the same partition as well as everything else. Then later you can add more partitions if you want too. Many recommend that swap should be about twice the size as your memory, so stick with that for the time being. If you have a problem you can use google and look up fdisk, cfdisk howtos which might give you some ideas. Rthoreau -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-request@lists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmaster@lists.debian.org[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Rthoreau [ip] => Rthoreau@iwon.c [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) -->/dev/hda > Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB------->/dev/hdc > Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB------->/dev/hdd > > This could also be partitions on a specific harddrive, say you split > your Primary Master into 3 or 4 partitions then it would be numbered > in somewhat like manner /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3.[/quote] Just a minor correction - the primary IDE slave would be the second drive, hence /dev/hdb (not hdc) So the setup would be Primary Master - /dev/hda Primary Slave - /dev/hdb Secondary Slave - /dev/hdd If the primary master is subdivided, it would be /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 and so on. However, if Thinker's cfdisk found this:[quote][quote] > > /dev/hda > > /dev/hdc > > and > > /dev/hdd.[/quote][/quote] then it looks as if it found hard drives on the Primary Master, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. (Not the Primary Slave). Which is the setup I have, btw, as my CD drive's on the Primary Slave. cr -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-request@lists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmaster@lists.debian.org[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => cr [ip] => cr@orcon.net.nz [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 7 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> 128MB swap). But really, if you need that much > swap, you need more RAM. That's where you'll see the tremendous speed > increase (as more programs are running at the same time, that is). > > -- > Kent West (westk@acu.edu) > > >[/quote] I don't remember the exact figures, but you don't want your swap too big as it takes some memory to keep track of whats going on in the swap, and this data stays in phisical ram. Don't remember how much a 1.2 G swap would take though (probably not too much). I am seriously taxing my computer, and rarely use more then 300 or 400 Megs all together of memory (reached 700-800 but took very hard work). Although for other then programs that aren't used much and swap off from time to time, if you work of the swap alot the computer usually has a tendency to grind to a halt, in which case you will want to install more ram. Also make sure you don't make the var partition too small since thats where the packages are downloaded to, and if you have a tendency to do big updates you will need around 250M-300M. Thats mostly if you are using unstable and upgrading the system every couple of weeks. Otherwise, if you don't care to keep old packages around you could settle for 150M for var don't go for less. Make sure to have enough in tmp too if you use music/video rip/encoding or graphic programs as they tend to use large temp files. -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-request@lists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmaster@lists.debian.org[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Micha Feigin [ip] => michf@math.tau. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 9 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?) - Debian

Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?) - Debian

Hello all, I am in need of some Newbie help. If this is the wrong list, can someone please tell me the correct list on which to post these questions. (BTW - I've read the installation manual on this a couple of times and now I am even more confused than before I read it.) I am currently trying to install Debian as my fourth Linux distribution. I have used Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE in the past and I wanted a more challengeing installation so that I might learn more about Linux. Well, I am getting a challenge. Here are ...

Default Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

Hello all,

I am in need of some Newbie help. If this is the wrong list, can
    someone please tell me the correct list on which to post these
    questions. (BTW - I've read the installation manual on this a couple of
    times and now I am even more confused than before I read it.)

I am currently trying to install Debian as my fourth Linux
    distribution. I have used Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE in the past and I
    wanted a more challengeing installation so that I might learn more about
    Linux. Well, I am getting a challenge.

Here are my system specs.

PROC: Pentium 120
    RAM: 64 MB

Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB
    Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB
    Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB

Since I have no CD ROM I have downloaded the Debian disk images and made
    the floppies. I have booted the system, configured the keyboard,
    (whoopee!) and I am currently at the point of partitioning the hard
    drives. Now, I kinda don't know what I should do for this, as there is
    no option (that I can see) to says 'hey Debian, you tell me what you
    think I should do with these three drives and that is what we will go
    with'. In the past, RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE all made these decisions
    for me.

So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
    asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of

/dev/hda
    /dev/hdc
    and
    /dev/hdd.

How should I allocate this space? I deleted one of the drives and
    selected 'NEW'. Then it asks me [Primary] [Logical] [Cancel] , so I
    selected 'Primary'. Gave it the full size and now I have no idea what to
    do. I am not really sure what I just did.

Thanks in advance,

Thinker

--
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email]
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]
    ThinKer Guest

Default Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 22:46, ThinKer wrote:
    > Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB
    > Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB
    > Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB
    > /dev/hda <= primary master
    > /dev/hdc <= secondary master
    > and
    > /dev/hdd. <= secondary slave
    Primary slave is /dev/hdb.

At least as I understand it. Are you sure about how you have these
    drives connected?

Dedicating a drive as swap would probably speed your system, as that
    drive's hardware would be able to handle swapping while other things
    were happening elsewhere, instead of interrupting some other disk
    activity to do it.

I run /, /home, and swap partitions. Make /home it's own partition for
    safety and convenience. There are reasons to have other partitions,
    and I don't have strong ideas about them.

Are you sure about your drive layout?

Cheers,
    Bret
    --
    bwaldow at alum.mit.edu

--
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]
    Bret Comstock Waldow Guest

ThinKer softly asked,
    > So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
    > asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of
    > /dev/hda
    > /dev/hdc
    > and
    > /dev/hdd.
    Debian can be confusing if you really do not have much experience with
    partitioning. I would suggest you read the partitioning HOWTO on
    over at the [url]www.tldp.org[/url], this is The Linux Doentation Project
    which is a good place to find stuff if your confused.

Basically what this screen is telling you is what hard drive do you
    want to install Debian on. You mentioned you had three harddrives,
    under Linux harddrives are under what is called devices. Or /dev when
    you see /dev/hda it is most likely your first hard drive on your
    Primary IDE channel. Something like this:

Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB ------>/dev/hda
    Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB------->/dev/hdc
    Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB------->/dev/hdd

This could also be partitions on a specific harddrive, say you split
    your Primary Master into 3 or 4 partitions then it would be numbered
    in somewhat like manner /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3.

So you need to choose what harddrive you want to install Debian on,
    also once you have selected your harddrive it will ask you if you
    want to partition it. You will get a lot of opinions on the best way
    to partition but to keep it simple you will probably want two
    partitions, a swap, and a root partition.

So make sure you have a swap, and a root which for the time being will
    have usr, home, var, boot on the same partition as well as everything
    else. Then later you can add more partitions if you want too.

Many recommend that swap should be about twice the size as your
    memory, so stick with that for the time being.

If you have a problem you can use google and look up fdisk, cfdisk
    howtos which might give you some ideas.

Rthoreau

--
    Rthoreau Guest

Thanks to input from Kent and Bret, I have decided to do the following

/ 200 MB /dev/hda1 primary
    /usr 2500MB /dev/hda2 primary
    /var 500MB /dev/hda3 primary
    /tmp 100MB /dev/hda4 primary

swap /dev/hdc1 1.2GB primary

/home /dev/hdd1 4.1GB primary

Questions...

1. When I delete the drive and choose 'New' to create the partitions,
    the system asks 'primary or secondary. I am going with primary for
    everything since I won't have more than 4 partitions in the first drive,
    and the second and third drives will stand on their own. Is this correct
    thinking or do I have something confused?

2. For / after I select primary and say I want it to be 200MB in size,
    do I add this partition at the begining or at the end of free space ?

3. Which of these am I supposed to make bootable?

Thanks,

Thinker.

--
    ThinKer Guest

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

ThinKer wrote:
    | Hello all,
    |
    [...]

| I am currently trying to install Debian as my fourth Linux
    | distribution. I have used Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE in the past and I
    | wanted a more challengeing installation so that I might learn more about
    | Linux. Well, I am getting a challenge.
    |
    | Here are my system specs.
    |
    | PROC: Pentium 120
    | RAM: 64 MB
    |
    | Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB
    | Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB
    | Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB
    |
    |
    [...]
    | So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
    | asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of
    |
    | /dev/hda
    | /dev/hdc
    | and
    | /dev/hdd.
    |
    | How should I allocate this space? I deleted one of the drives and
    | selected 'NEW'. Then it asks me [Primary] [Logical] [Cancel] , so I
    | selected 'Primary'. Gave it the full size and now I have no idea what to
    | do. I am not really sure what I just did.
    |
    If you're feeling adventurous, you might take a look at LVM (Logical
    volume manager). With that, you could create a large partition on each
    drive, combine them into a "Logical Volume Group", and then split that
    LVG into multiple "Logical Volumes" which look like partitions, but can
    be resized and reassigned dynamically.

The installer doesn't support LVM, and I haven't seen a Debian-oriented
    HOWTO, but what I did was to create one smallish partition on one disk
    and one which takes up the rest of the disk. Install the base debian
    system onto the small partition (I made it 500Mb, but you could probably
    get away with half of that). When it gets to selecting packages, stop
    and deal with LVM. You need to make sure your kernel supports it (Must
    be 2.4, and must be configured.) Install package "lvm10" for the tools.
    ~ You can then create logical volumes for /home, /usr, /var. Boot into
    single-user mode and move the existing files into the new volumes.

It doesn't matter now what sizes you use for the partition. Make them
    as much as you need to start with, and when you need more it's easy to
    make them bigger. (If you put reiserfs filesystems on them, you can make
    the filesystems bigger without even unmounting them).

With multiple disks, you can use "striping". I've not done this as I
    have only one disk, but it's in the doents referred below.

There's a lot to all this, but if your aim is to learn more about linux
    it's a useful thing to find out about.

Andrew

example of moving files into a new filesystem (once you have created
    your volume group):

(in single-user mode ( boot with the "single" kernel command-line option ) )

lvcreate -L 1G -n usr myvg01 # to create a logical volume
    mke2fs /dev/myvg01/usr # or you might prefer ext3 or reiser
    mount /dev/myvg01/usr /mnt
    cd /usr
    tar cf . | ( cd /mnt ; tar xvf - ) # there are also options on cp that
    ~ # would achieve the same thing.
    umount /mnt
    mv /usr /oldusr
    mkdir /usr
    mount /dev/myvg01/usr /usr

rm -r /oldusr # If everything succeeded.

Information on LVM: [url]http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm[/url]
    LVM HOWTO: [url]http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/[/url]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - [url]http://enigmail.mozdev.org[/url]

iD8DBQE/I3Q7qEms0aLHW4URApuyAKCB66ra5rJO2S6Gz2/nh3krZYcvbACfXFtZ
    mHObzCkQtCpp84shQsjeGdQ=
    =qbKa
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
    Andrew McGuinness Guest

ThinKer wrote:
    >Thanks to input from Kent and Bret, I have decided to do the following
    >...
    >
    >/ 200 MB /dev/hda1 primary
    >/usr 2500MB /dev/hda2 primary
    >/var 500MB /dev/hda3 primary
    >/tmp 100MB /dev/hda4 primary
    >
    >swap /dev/hdc1 1.2GB primary
    >
    >/home /dev/hdd1 4.1GB primary
    >
    >
    >Questions...
    >
    >1. When I delete the drive and choose 'New' to create the partitions,
    >the system asks 'primary or secondary. I am going with primary for
    >everything since I won't have more than 4 partitions in the first drive,
    >and the second and third drives will stand on their own. Is this correct
    >thinking or do I have something confused?
    >
    >
    No, you don't have anything confused. (I originally suggested logical
    partitions, because I'm not used to working with multiple drives, and so
    it was just habit to make multiple logicals on /dev/hda, but if you
    don't go over four partitions, I'd stick with keeping them primary.)
    >2. For / after I select primary and say I want it to be 200MB in size,
    >do I add this partition at the begining or at the end of free space ?
    >
    Unless you have a reason not to, put it at the beginning. Some folks
    create swap first, and put it at the end of free space on a blank drive,
    because there's supposedly some advantage to having the swap space at
    the outer edge of the drive. Of course, others will say you get your
    best performance when the swap is on the inner edge. Still others will
    say it should be smack in the middle. It has to do with how much travel
    the drive head has to do to get to the swap space.

Putting your partitions at the beginning of the free space is like
    putting the milk in the front of the dairy case at the convenience
    store. The stocker will put the first milk in the front free space, and
    then the next milk in the front of the remaining free space, etc. If he
    wanted, he could put the second milk at the end of the remaining free
    space, but then he's got to reach over it to put more milk in, and the
    date order gets all out of sequence, etc.
    >
    >3. Which of these am I supposed to make bootable?
    >
    >
    >
    The first partition, which is / according to your specs above.
    >
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Thinker.
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
    Kent West (westkacu.edu)

--
    Kent West Guest

On Sunday 27 July 2003 17:05, Rthoreau wrote:
    > ThinKer softly asked,
    >
    > > So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
    > > asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of
    > >
    > > /dev/hda
    > > /dev/hdc
    > > and
    > > /dev/hdd.
    >
    > Debian can be confusing if you really do not have much experience with
    > partitioning. I would suggest you read the partitioning HOWTO on
    > over at the [url]www.tldp.org[/url], this is The Linux Doentation Project
    > which is a good place to find stuff if your confused.
    >
    > Basically what this screen is telling you is what hard drive do you
    > want to install Debian on. You mentioned you had three harddrives,
    > under Linux harddrives are under what is called devices. Or /dev when
    > you see /dev/hda it is most likely your first hard drive on your
    > Primary IDE channel. Something like this:
    >
    > Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB ------>/dev/hda
    > Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB------->/dev/hdc
    > Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB------->/dev/hdd
    >
    > This could also be partitions on a specific harddrive, say you split
    > your Primary Master into 3 or 4 partitions then it would be numbered
    > in somewhat like manner /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3.
    Just a minor correction -
    the primary IDE slave would be the second drive, hence /dev/hdb (not hdc)

So the setup would be
    Primary Master - /dev/hda
    Primary Slave - /dev/hdb
    Secondary Slave - /dev/hdd

If the primary master is subdivided, it would be
    /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    and so on.

However, if Thinker's cfdisk found this:
    > > /dev/hda
    > > /dev/hdc
    > > and
    > > /dev/hdd.
    then it looks as if it found hard drives on the Primary Master,
    Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. (Not the Primary Slave).
    Which is the setup I have, btw, as my CD drive's on the Primary Slave.

cr

--
    cr Guest

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 15:12, Kent West wrote:
    > ThinKer wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks to input from Kent and Bret, I have decided to do the following
    > >...
    > >
    > >/ 200 MB /dev/hda1 primary
    > >/usr 2500MB /dev/hda2 primary
    > >/var 500MB /dev/hda3 primary
    > >/tmp 100MB /dev/hda4 primary
    > >
    > >swap /dev/hdc1 1.2GB primary
    > >
    > >/home /dev/hdd1 4.1GB primary
    > >
    > >
    > >Questions...
    > >
    > >1. When I delete the drive and choose 'New' to create the partitions,
    > >the system asks 'primary or secondary. I am going with primary for
    > >everything since I won't have more than 4 partitions in the first drive,
    > >and the second and third drives will stand on their own. Is this correct
    > >thinking or do I have something confused?
    > >
    > >
    > No, you don't have anything confused. (I originally suggested logical
    > partitions, because I'm not used to working with multiple drives, and so
    > it was just habit to make multiple logicals on /dev/hda, but if you
    > don't go over four partitions, I'd stick with keeping them primary.)
    >
    > >2. For / after I select primary and say I want it to be 200MB in size,
    > >do I add this partition at the begining or at the end of free space ?
    > >
    > Unless you have a reason not to, put it at the beginning. Some folks
    > create swap first, and put it at the end of free space on a blank drive,
    > because there's supposedly some advantage to having the swap space at
    > the outer edge of the drive. Of course, others will say you get your
    > best performance when the swap is on the inner edge. Still others will
    > say it should be smack in the middle. It has to do with how much travel
    > the drive head has to do to get to the swap space.
    Depends a lot on partition setup and type of drive actually.

Newer drives have more sectors per angle on the outer side, since it is
    pysically larger, and thus reading the data is faster (head speed is
    faster relative to the pisical media on a constant speed motor).
    Others say that if you place the swap in the middle between to active
    partitions it will be statiscly faster getting there since the head will
    be traveling back and forth.
    I don't seem to have managed to be very coherent, I hope its
    understandable enough if anyone is actually interested ;)
    >
    > Putting your partitions at the beginning of the free space is like
    > putting the milk in the front of the dairy case at the convenience
    > store. The stocker will put the first milk in the front free space, and
    > then the next milk in the front of the remaining free space, etc. If he
    > wanted, he could put the second milk at the end of the remaining free
    > space, but then he's got to reach over it to put more milk in, and the
    > date order gets all out of sequence, etc.
    >
    > >
    > >3. Which of these am I supposed to make bootable?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > The first partition, which is / according to your specs above.
    >
    > >
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Thinker.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Kent West (westkacu.edu)
    >
    >
    >

--
    Micha Feigin Guest

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 08:13, Kent West wrote:
    > ThinKer wrote:
    >
    > >>
    > >> What do I do with the rest of the space on the 1.2 GB drive? Someone
    > >> suggested that I use the entire drive as swap space as doing that would
    > >> speed up the system tremendously. Does this make sense? If not the
    > >> enitre drive, how much would be the max?
    > >>
    > Sorry; neglected to answer your other questions. Having the swap
    > partition on a separate drive will help speed up the system; I don't
    > know that "tremendously" really applies, though.
    >
    > Nor do I see any reason to make the whole drive as swap. Generally most
    > folks go for a swap partition that's the same size as their physical
    > RAM, or twice, or thrice. In my earlier suggestions, I went for twice as
    > large (64 MB RAM --> 128MB swap). But really, if you need that much
    > swap, you need more RAM. That's where you'll see the tremendous speed
    > increase (as more programs are running at the same time, that is).
    >
    > --
    > Kent West (westkacu.edu)
    >
    >
    >
    I don't remember the exact figures, but you don't want your swap too big
    as it takes some memory to keep track of whats going on in the swap, and
    this data stays in phisical ram.
    Don't remember how much a 1.2 G swap would take though (probably not too
    much).
    I am seriously taxing my computer, and rarely use more then 300 or 400
    Megs all together of memory (reached 700-800 but took very hard work).
    Although for other then programs that aren't used much and swap off from
    time to time, if you work of the swap alot the computer usually has a
    tendency to grind to a halt, in which case you will want to install more
    ram.
    Also make sure you don't make the var partition too small since thats
    where the packages are downloaded to, and if you have a tendency to do
    big updates you will need around 250M-300M. Thats mostly if you are
    using unstable and upgrading the system every couple of weeks.
    Otherwise, if you don't care to keep old packages around you could
    settle for 150M for var don't go for less.
    Make sure to have enough in tmp too if you use music/video rip/encoding
    or graphic programs as they tend to use large temp files.

--
    Micha Feigin Guest

Kent West said on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:27:40AM -0500:
    > Micha Feigin wrote:
    >
    > >Make sure to have enough in tmp too if you use music/video rip/encoding
    > >or graphic programs as they tend to use large temp files.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Ah, good point. I've run into problems on several occassions when
    > downloading large files (such as .ISOs, etc) via a program that first
    > saves the file to /tmp, and my /tmp wasn't big enough, so I had to
    > figure out some other method of getting around the limitation. At the
    > moment, I can't remember the details of what file or what app I was
    > using, but I think in the future, if I've got the space, I might
    > allocate 1GB or so to /tmp.
    Most programs honor the TMPDIR environment variable. Just set
    TMPDIR=/place/with/lots/of/space and you should be fine. If the software
    you're using doesn't honor TMPDIR, file a bug. :)

M

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (FreeBSD)

iD4DBQE/JqL5OtZWu2tc1lARAsQfAJjOQ8Pndtk4aYyVEi7CDIegladMAJ 473+Nh
    lSnniQZap+k6Tx/PwmO8ag==
    =ON+w

Mark Ferlatte Guest

Mark Ferlatte wrote:
    >Most programs honor the TMPDIR environment variable. Just set
    >TMPDIR=/place/with/lots/of/space and you should be fine. If the software
    >you're using doesn't honor TMPDIR, file a bug. :)
    >
    >M
    >
    >
    Ah, thanks for the tip!

--
    Kent West (westkacu.edu)

--
    Kent West Guest

On -5920-Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:08:38PM -0500, Kent West <westkacu.edu> spake thus,
    > Mark Ferlatte wrote:
    >
    > >Most programs honor the TMPDIR environment variable. Just set
    > >TMPDIR=/place/with/lots/of/space and you should be fine. If the software
    > >you're using doesn't honor TMPDIR, file a bug. :)
    > >
    > >M
    > >
    > >
    > Ah, thanks for the tip!
    Ooh, that's a good one! Because it really s when you're trying to
    download a file that's half the size of the space you've got left (I
    know, probably an indication of bad drive management, but it's
    happened to me) so when it copies the temp file to the location where
    you chose to download it to, for a moment both copies exist and the
    download fails :(

--
    Aaron Bieber
    -
    Graphic Design // Web Design
    [url]http://www.core-dev.com/[/url]
    [email]aaroncore-dev.com[/email]

--
    Aaron Guest

on Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:46:00PM -0400, ThinKer (thinkerthoughtprogress.com) wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am in need of some Newbie help. If this is the wrong list, can
    > someone please tell me the correct list on which to post these
    > questions. (BTW - I've read the installation manual on this a couple of
    > times and now I am even more confused than before I read it.)
    >
    > I am currently trying to install Debian as my fourth Linux
    > distribution. I have used Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE in the past and I
    > wanted a more challengeing installation so that I might learn more about
    > Linux. Well, I am getting a challenge.
    >
    > Here are my system specs.
    >
    > PROC: Pentium 120
    > RAM: 64 MB
    >
    > Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB
    > Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB
    > Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB
    >
    > Since I have no CD ROM I have downloaded the Debian disk images and made
    > the floppies. I have booted the system, configured the keyboard,
    > (whoopee!) and I am currently at the point of partitioning the hard
    > drives. Now, I kinda don't know what I should do for this, as there is
    > no option (that I can see) to says 'hey Debian, you tell me what you
    > think I should do with these three drives and that is what we will go
    > with'. In the past, RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE all made these decisions
    > for me.
    >
    > So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
    > asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of
    >
    > /dev/hda
    > /dev/hdc
    > and
    > /dev/hdd.
    >
    > How should I allocate this space? I deleted one of the drives and
    > selected 'NEW'. Then it asks me [Primary] [Logical] [Cancel] , so I
    > selected 'Primary'. Gave it the full size and now I have no idea what to
    > do. I am not really sure what I just did.
    One big system partition is likely the simplest partitioning scheme.
    "Best" depends on what your goals are. For a mix of usability,
    stability, security, and recoverability, see:

[url]http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/NixPartitioning[/url]

Peace.

--
    Karsten M. Self <kmselfix.netcom.com> [url]http://kmself.home.netcom.com/[/url]
    What Part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
    Windows Refund Day II: fight for your right to refund
    [url]http://www.windowsrefund.net/[/url]

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/LGieefG8443k044RAloTAJ9Wxs63t+ECJRg3SliRn9vxhyFcGA CePfUz
    FHpm+j8+KQpgbKrfDngfBqs=
    =/r5U

Karsten M. Self Guest