Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie question - partition - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows user. I plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer I've been lazy and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C: Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ? I mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my HD (I have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS to... whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start from scratch (that would ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie question - partition

    Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows user. I
    plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer I've been lazy
    and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C:

    Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ? I
    mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my HD (I
    have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS to...
    whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start from scratch
    (that would mean at least three days of work, in my config) ?

    Thank you

    Radu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie question - partition

    David scribbled:
    > Radu wrote:
    >> Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows user.
    >> I plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer I've been
    >> lazy and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C:
    >>
    >> Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ? I
    >> mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my HD (I
    >> have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS to...
    >> whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start from
    >> scratch (that would mean at least three days of work, in my config) ?
    >
    > Use a Windows partitioning tool and free some disk space for
    > linux to install into. Don't format the disk space as you will
    > partition and format it during the linux install.
    >
    > There are some "free" partitioning tools available for download
    > if you don't want to buy one.

    Be sure to run defrag (thorough mode) at least a couple times to ensure all
    the Microsoft Windows OS, applications, and your data files are not
    scattered all over the disk before you run the partitioning tool.

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

    horne Guest

  3. #3

    "Radu" <alexraduREMOVETHISsprint.ca> wrote in message news:<hkC3b.4027$Jf3.46073newscontent-01.sprint.ca>...
    > Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows user. I
    > plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer I've been lazy
    > and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C:
    >
    > Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ? I
    > mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my HD (I
    > have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS to...
    > whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start from scratch
    > (that would mean at least three days of work, in my config) ?
    >
    > Thank you
    Yes, but you will need to "repartition" your drive. If you are just
    looking to play before you wipe off Windows, you could try the Knoppix
    distro...
    Xyerp Guest

  4. #4

    David wrote:
    > Radu wrote:
    >> Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows
    >> user. I plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer
    >> I've been lazy and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C:
    >>
    >> Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ?
    >> I mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my
    >> HD (I have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS
    >> to... whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start
    >> from scratch (that would mean at least three days of work, in my
    >> config) ?
    >
    > Use a Windows partitioning tool and free some disk space for
    > linux to install into. Don't format the disk space as you will
    > partition and format it during the linux install.
    >
    > There are some "free" partitioning tools available for download
    > if you don't want to buy one.

    I don't know about SuSe but the Mandrake 9.1 installer will
    non-destructively shrink a NTFS partition (or any other windows
    filesystem) to make room for linux partitions.
    Versions prior to 9.1 could shrink fat32 partitions but not NTFS.

    When you install linux, it is also a good idea to set aside a small
    fat32 partition (drive letter D:) to use as a file exchange. Linux can
    read a NTFS partition but not write to it (yet).

    Before shrinking your C: partition, run scandisk and defrag under
    windows. This without regard to the partitioning tool that you use.

    Clive Dove Guest