Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie questions.... - Macromedia Director Basics

I've been researching various ways to create enhanced cds, and I've been told Director would be a good way to go... After messing with the trial for a bit, it seems pretty good, but I have a few questions... Hopefully someone here can help me out before I drop a lot of cash on this program, then find out I needed something else: 1. I need to include video: what format is the most commonly used? I think mpeg would be most common, but I'd like some feedback on this... 1a. When I was fastforwarding the video in my test ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie questions....

    I've been researching various ways to create enhanced cds, and I've been told Director would be a good way to go... After messing with the trial for a bit, it seems pretty good, but I have a few questions... Hopefully someone here can help me out before I drop a lot of cash on this program, then find out I needed something else:

    1. I need to include video: what format is the most commonly used? I think mpeg would be most common, but I'd like some feedback on this...

    1a. When I was fastforwarding the video in my test movie, the sound was playing (which was fairly annoying)... Is there a way to mute it while it is playing?

    2. I've read that Projectors made on PC can only be played on PCs, Mac on Mac, etc... Is there a way to make it cross platform from a PC? Buying two versions of Director, and a Mac isn't really an option for me...

    3.
    Made with Macromedia and Shockwave Player Licensing Programs
    Macromedia's royalty-free licensing policy means that you can distribute applications created with Macromedia Director or Authorware to millions of Windows and Macintosh platforms.

    1. Create an application in Macromedia Director or Authorware and distribute it for free.

    I would be making the enhanced portion of an audio cd... As these CDs will be sold, I can't include the projector unless I pay Macromedia royalties? Am I misunderstanding this?

    Everything else seems fairly straightforward, and I should be able to it out the more I play with it... Any other tips for making an enhanced CD?

    Nomenclature webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie questions....

    see comment below

    "Nomenclature" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I've been researching various ways to create enhanced cds, and I've been
    told Director would be a good way to go... After messing with the trial for
    a bit, it seems pretty good, but I have a few questions... Hopefully someone
    here can help me out before I drop a lot of cash on this program, then find
    out I needed something else:

    > 1. I need to include video: what format is the most commonly used? I think
    mpeg would be most common, but I'd like some feedback on this...

    mpeg is fine. probably quicktime would be better

    > 1a. When I was fastforwarding the video in my test movie, the sound was
    playing (which was fairly annoying)... Is there a way to mute it while it is
    playing?

    set the volume of the sprite

    sprite(my movie sptrite).volume = 0

    > 2. I've read that Projectors made on PC can only be played on PCs, Mac on
    Mac, etc... Is there a way to make it cross platform from a PC?

    nope, its the same reason you have to have a mac version of director as
    well. otherwise you could just install your windows version on your mac....
    >Buying two versions of Director, and a Mac isn't really an option for me...
    >
    > 3.
    > Made with Macromedia and Shockwave Player Licensing Programs
    > Macromedia's royalty-free licensing policy means that you can distribute
    applications created with Macromedia Director or Authorware to millions of
    Windows and Macintosh platforms.

    > 1. Create an application in Macromedia Director or Authorware and
    distribute it for free.

    > I would be making the enhanced portion of an audio cd... As these CDs will
    be sold, I can't include the projector unless I pay Macromedia royalties? Am
    I misunderstanding this?

    as far as i know you can distribute them royaltie free.. ie you dont have to
    pay macromedia any royalties.. you do have to put there logo on your
    packaging though

    > Everything else seems fairly straightforward, and I should be able to it
    out the more I play with it... Any other tips for making an enhanced CD?

    greg brant Guest

  3. #3

    On 06 Sep 2003, "Nomenclature" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I've been researching various ways to create enhanced cds, and I've
    > been told Director would be a good way to go... After messing with
    > the trial for a bit, it seems pretty good, but I have a few
    > questions... Hopefully someone here can help me out before I drop a
    > lot of cash on this program, then find out I needed something else:
    >
    > 1. I need to include video: what format is the most commonly used? I
    > think mpeg would be most common, but I'd like some feedback on this...
    The most trouble free would probably be MPEG-1. If you can include
    installers then QuickTime is very popular.
    > 1a. When I was fastforwarding the video in my test movie, the sound
    > was playing (which was fairly annoying)... Is there a way to mute it
    > while it is playing?
    Set the volume of the video sprite.
    > 2. I've read that Projectors made on PC can only be played on PCs, Mac
    > on Mac, etc... Is there a way to make it cross platform from a PC?
    > Buying two versions of Director, and a Mac isn't really an option for
    > me...
    This is true. You really should have at least one Mac around to test on
    anyway if developing for both platforms.
    > 3.
    > Made with Macromedia and Shockwave Player Licensing Programs
    > Macromedia's royalty-free licensing policy means that you can
    > distribute applications created with Macromedia Director or Authorware
    > to millions of Windows and Macintosh platforms.
    >
    > 1. Create an application in Macromedia Director or Authorware and
    > distribute it for free.
    True. You do need to include the logo as per the license agreement. Last
    I looked - and I could be wrong here - I think you have to fill in and
    send the agreement to MM for each title, too. I don't think you have to
    include two copies of the CD anymore, though.
    > I would be making the enhanced portion of an audio cd... As these CDs
    > will be sold, I can't include the projector unless I pay Macromedia
    > royalties? Am I misunderstanding this?
    Yes. Royalty-free distribution.
    > Everything else seems fairly straightforward, and I should be able to
    > it out the more I play with it... Any other tips for making an
    > enhanced CD?
    Test early, test often, and test on all your target machines - especially
    if creating a hybrid CD (Mac OS9, Mac OSX, Windows' 32 flavors).

    If you want Director to access the music tracks of an enhanced CD, there
    is at least one Xtra available that facilitates this.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

  4. #4

    Let's try and take these in order....

    1. - MPEG - being a common file format.

    Yes, MPEG is fairly common. And it works fairly well on most machines. There are other file formats out there (like QuickTime, which is a 'tweaked' mpeg) that are common as well.

    If you go with QuickTime, you might be better prepared for your eventual move to the Macintosh.
    PCs can play quicktime movies just fine. You'll need a way to create the quicktime video, though, which might be expensive for you.

    1a - you can turn off the sound in lingo; you'll need to learn a little bit, but learning never hurt anyone.

    2. - What you've heard is true; you need a mac to make a mac version, and a pc to make a pc version. It's not a big deal, though. Most cities have art students using director with macs to learn multimedia. Team up with one of them to build your projector. You will have already built all the content with the PC version, and that will still work fine on the mac.

    3. You do not need to pay macromedia a licensing fee. You do need to stick their "made with macromedia" logo on your jewel case (front/back inserts) someplace.

    Hope this helps,

    -john

    jgordos webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you for the info... I actually did figure out how to mute the sound, but I am unsure of what level it it supposed to be reset to... I am slightly altering the quicktime control button, like so:

    #forward:
    if the mouseDown and rollover (me.spriteNum) then
    pActive = TRUE
    sprite (pVideoSprite).volume = 0
    sprite (pVideoSprite).movieRate = -2
    else
    if pActive then sprite (pVideoSprite).movieRate = 0
    sprite (pVideoSprite).volume = ???????
    pActive = FALSE
    end if

    If the volume is set to zero on mouseDown, what number would it have been originally?

    Nomenclature webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Just ask the channel what the volume was.

    originalVolume = sprite (pVideoSprite).volume

    then, later, you can set it back

    -j

    jgordos webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest