Professional Web Applications Themes

NEWBIE - Redhat v9 + Win2k + TCP/IP connectivity question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi All, I've finally decided to take my first tentative steps away from the Window$ platform. I am about to embark on installing Redhat Linux Ver 9 on a dual processor box. My current setup is three networked PCs - all running Window$. I have internet connectivity through a local broadband service and my PC with internet access is behind a firewall (McAFee). This are my problems: 1). I have some Micro$oft doents (Word & Excel) that I want to move onto the Linux box (to use Open Office to read these). - I don't know how o transfer the ...

  1. #1

    Default NEWBIE - Redhat v9 + Win2k + TCP/IP connectivity question

    Hi All,

    I've finally decided to take my first tentative steps away from the Window$
    platform. I am about to embark on installing Redhat Linux Ver 9 on a dual
    processor box. My current setup is three networked PCs - all running
    Window$. I have internet connectivity through a local broadband service and
    my PC with internet access is behind a firewall (McAFee).

    This are my problems:

    1). I have some Micro$oft doents (Word & Excel) that I want to move onto
    the Linux box (to use Open Office to read these). - I don't know how o
    transfer the docs over to the Linux box

    2). I don't know how I can obtain internet access from the Linux box,
    sharing the same ADSL modem accross the network.

    Look forward to your feedback.

    Many TIA

    TAkashi

    Takashi Yamamoto Guest

  2. #2

    Takashi Yamamoto <takashi_949hotmail.com> wrote:
    > 1). I have some Micro$oft doents (Word & Excel) that I want to move onto
    > the Linux box (to use Open Office to read these). - I don't know how o
    > transfer the docs over to the Linux box
    Use ftp or ssh or smb or ... (well, the list isn't infinite, but it's
    large).
    > 2). I don't know how I can obtain internet access from the Linux box,
    > sharing the same ADSL modem accross the network.
    Just set the ADSL modem's intranet IP address (I presume you mean router) as
    your default gateway.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:41:53 +0000 (UTC), Takashi Yamamoto wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've finally decided to take my first tentative steps away from the Window$
    > platform. I am about to embark on installing Redhat Linux Ver 9 on a dual
    > processor box. My current setup is three networked PCs - all running
    > Window$. I have internet connectivity through a local broadband service and
    > my PC with internet access is behind a firewall (McAFee).
    >
    > This are my problems:
    >
    > 1). I have some Micro$oft doents (Word & Excel) that I want to move onto
    > the Linux box (to use Open Office to read these). - I don't know how o
    > transfer the docs over to the Linux box
    >
    > 2). I don't know how I can obtain internet access from the Linux box,
    > sharing the same ADSL modem accross the network.
    Little hard to understand your setup. Here is a picture
    of my setup using linux as a firewall/router.

    We cannot talk about yours until we understand how you have
    hooked what to where.

    If you do draw a picture, do not use tabs.

    eth0 and eth1 Network Interface Cards (nic) are in my firewall box (fw).

    192.168.1.1 pc1 node's gateway
    192.168.1.14 pc1 node's ip

    x pc1 printer 24.x.x.xx
    x \ / |
    x \ / v
    x Hub---------eth1_fw_eth0---cablemodem-----ISPgateway---Internet
    x / ^ ^
    x / | |
    x pc2 192.168.1.1 ggg.ggg.ggg.1
    ^ lan gateway

    192.168.1.12 pc2 node's ip
    192.168.1.1 pc2 node's gateway

    Bit Twister Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    I'll take a stab at this too...

    It sounds like you have one computer, running some version of Windows,
    with two ethernet ports. One is connected to a cable modem, and the
    other connected to a local hub or something. You're implying that only
    the one PC has internet access, so the other two are probably on a LAN
    and making up their own IP's etc.

    If that's the case (and I'm only guessing), then you'll find things much
    easier if you either set one computer up as a gateway or better yet get
    a standalone router/gateway. That way all your computers can share the
    internet connection, and you can use DHCP to configure networking for
    the subnet computers.

    As for transfering files, I think the easiest way is to use ssh/sftp.
    There are various free clients for Windows, and the client and server
    come with Linux. You would probably use the client on the Windows
    machine because it's harder to set up an ssh server in Windows. Samba
    (smb) will be a much easier way to transfer files once you have it set
    up, but I have 12 years of experience with Unix and *still* find Samba
    hard to set up correctly. If you're a long-time professional Windows
    sysadmin just like I am not, you may find it a piece of cake since you
    understand smb/nmb so thoroughly to begin with.

    - Topher

    Takashi Yamamoto wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've finally decided to take my first tentative steps away from the Window$
    > platform. I am about to embark on installing Redhat Linux Ver 9 on a dual
    > processor box. My current setup is three networked PCs - all running
    > Window$. I have internet connectivity through a local broadband service and
    > my PC with internet access is behind a firewall (McAFee).
    >
    > This are my problems:
    >
    > 1). I have some Micro$oft doents (Word & Excel) that I want to move onto
    > the Linux box (to use Open Office to read these). - I don't know how o
    > transfer the docs over to the Linux box
    >
    > 2). I don't know how I can obtain internet access from the Linux box,
    > sharing the same ADSL modem accross the network.
    >

    > Look forward to your feedback.
    >
    > Many TIA
    >

    > TAkashi

    Topher Cawlfield Guest