Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie: starting KDE on login problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I *just* finished installing RedHat7.2 today and *just* got XFree86 working and now have a GUI desktop, but it looks like twm or something to that effect. I've tried to change it to use KDE on startup (by selecting KDE on the GUI login window, through startkde and hopefully have KDE preferences in my home directory, and use switchdesk to select KDE), none of them worked. My question is, how do I get KDE to start by itself? The problem right now is that, if I do startkde, a window is opened in twm with the KDE desktop, and ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie: starting KDE on login problem

    Hi,

    I *just* finished installing RedHat7.2 today and *just* got XFree86
    working and now have a GUI desktop, but it looks like twm or something
    to that effect. I've tried to change it to use KDE on startup (by
    selecting KDE on the GUI login window, through startkde and hopefully
    have KDE preferences in my home directory, and use switchdesk to
    select KDE), none of them worked.

    My question is, how do I get KDE to start by itself? The problem right
    now is that, if I do startkde, a window is opened in twm with the KDE
    desktop, and the kicker panel is opened at the bottom, both of them I
    can drag around. I want to work in KDE, not twm. How can I get that
    going??

    My biggest concern is, this is not the first time I've done this. I in
    fact have used the same CDs to install RH7.2 on a couple of other
    boxes before, none of them ever gave me problems. So then what's the
    problem??

    btw, when I run startkde, I get this message:

    xset: bad font path element (#59), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
    DCOPServer up and running.
    kwin: it looks like there's already a window manager running. kwin not
    started.

    Assumably the problem with xset is causing KDE to go to failsafe... I
    don't know... I'm going to troubleshoot this a bit more... thanks for
    any advice!!

    James
    JP Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie: starting KDE on login problem

    On 10 Nov 2003 18:14:42 -0800, JP wrote:

    This last message leads one to believe that you already have X running.
    Do a "ps -A". Do you see twm?

    --
    When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong,
    you cannot be too conservative. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #3

    Hi!

    John Fettig <SPAMedu.invalid> wrote in message news:<bopt85$rei$ks.uiuc.edu>...

    > This last message leads one to believe that you already have X running.
    > Do a "ps -A". Do you see twm?[/ref]

    Yes, I do. That's the problem: I had chosen KDE during login, and for
    some reason, KDE doesn't show up. All I get is twm.

    I have .Xclients and .Xclients-default in my root directory, and
    ..Xclients-default says
    exec startkde

    I'm assuming this doesn't get executed properly... does this have
    anything to do with the xset fonts problem (which causes KDE to not
    start)??

    Thanks again!

    James
    JP Guest

  4. #4

    On 11 Nov 2003 08:30:51 -0800, JP wrote:

    >> This last message leads one to believe that you already have X running.
    >> Do a "ps -A". Do you see twm?[/ref]
    >
    > Yes, I do. That's the problem: I had chosen KDE during login, and for
    > some reason, KDE doesn't show up. All I get is twm.[/ref]

    I'm not a real big KDE person, so I'm not sure if the fonts are keeping
    KDE from starting. But I'm pretty sure you won't get what you want
    trying to startkde inside of twm. I've forgotten which distro you said
    you are running, but here are general instructions:

    kill twm some way or another. You may also have to kill xdm/kdm/gdm.
    The best way to do this is through the init scripts. Probably
    "/etc/init.d/kdm stop" or "/etc/init.d/twm stop". The other way is to
    just kill kdm and/or twm: "killall kdm" or "killall twm". Once you are
    back at a virtual console, try startkde. If that works, you can go from
    there.