Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie to Printing - Macromedia Freehand

Hey all, I have been developing websites with Macromedia Dreamweaver for at least 5 years now, and have been using Fireworks for about two years. And now, one of my friends has asked me if i could take a logo I designed for him (in Fireworks) and put it onto some business cards and throw together a brochore for him. At my first attempt with his business cards... after i had returned from the printer, i found that Fireworks doesn't cut it. I found the graphics somewhat pixelated and not clear as they had shown up on the screen. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie to Printing

    Hey all, I have been developing websites with Macromedia Dreamweaver for at
    least 5 years now, and have been using Fireworks for about two years. And now,
    one of my friends has asked me if i could take a logo I designed for him (in
    Fireworks) and put it onto some business cards and throw together a brochore
    for him. At my first attempt with his business cards... after i had returned
    from the printer, i found that Fireworks doesn't cut it. I found the graphics
    somewhat pixelated and not clear as they had shown up on the screen. I have
    always been a do-it yourselfer.. So I live and learn. I kinda figured it's
    because of the Vector/Rastor conflict? When i did i little search on google i
    found i could use Freehand to make things print right, but i'm still skeptical.
    What do i need to know in order to reproduce my graphic from Fireworks to a
    Freehand file that can be resized without distortion, and after being sent to
    the printer come out with a beautiful brochore and business card? It's my
    understanding that if i want everything to come out looking smooth, i have to
    refrain from using raster properties.. but which properties are those, and what
    do i do it i want a similar effect? Thank-you Sooo Much! Pardon my lameness.
    Here is the http://www.tacitwebsolutions.com/logo/logo_free.FH11 If it will
    help you help me. :) Thank-you.

    phence Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie to Printing

    also... Is What You See, What You Get in Freehand? if i open the logo i
    created with Freehand exported as an .eps file in Fireworks, the gradients and
    effects don't show up correctly. Can i not uses gradients when designings to
    print? i don't understand. OR is Fireworks just incapable of comprehending the
    file correctly? I need to know if what i send to the printer as an .eps file
    will show up corrently.

    phence Guest

  3. #3

    phence wrote:

    I'm not an expert on Fireworks->Freehand or printing business cards but
    I do see some problems with the file.

    First, if you're going to use the raster effects for a non-web purpose
    you need to bump up the DPI for the effects. You can find that under
    file/doent settings/Raster effect setting.../

    There's also a couple of placed bitmaps which look like very low
    resolution images. You'd need to use higher resolution images in their
    place to get smoother output.

    I don't know if raster effects print fine on business cards but I do
    steer clear of them now after being burned in our publication. And it
    looks like you can achieve all the same effects using blends and lenses
    which reproduce much more consistently. Except for maybe the embossed
    text but that wouldn't be a great loss ;-)
    Wes Guest

  4. #4

    Thank-you. Well i kinda figured out that i had to boost up my resolution after
    i posted... So i have done that now, but i can't seem to be able to import the
    image correctly into FreeHand.. When boost the resolution if the logo, it looks
    great, but it's so huge on the screen... Is it okay to design in a smaller
    resolution, then when ready to export boost the res. back up to 300dpi ??? I am
    having trouble using Freehand, is it okay to contiue designing in Fireworks? I
    just really need be able to print this brochore, knowing it is going to turn
    out right on my behalf.

    phence Guest

  5. #5

    When importing into FH, don't just click on the page; instead, click and
    drag out a rectangle to the size you want the imported image to be. Left to
    its own devices, FH maps each pixel of an imported JPG to one screen pixel
    which can result in, as you've seen, huge images. The click and drag
    technique maintains the internal resolution of the image while making it the
    appropriate size on screen.

    Bill Schuhle

    "phence" <com> wrote in message
    after